Camping Menu

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by HappyTraveler, May 3, 2019.

1. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Hi All!
    After 30+ years of tent camping, first with infants and now just the two of us (empty-nesters), we're looking to change things up.
    Curious to know what others do for meals while they're camping?
    For example, do you do any prep work at home? Like precook anything, or crack all the eggs into something that you can then just pour out to cook?

So let's hear what you do!

Orchid likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Depending on where we go and what we are doing decides the menue. Mostly i cook and prep on site. I make the more complicated stuff first ( fresh ingredients) and wind down to got dogs and canned beans. If were relaxing, i do a full blown meal, if we have somewhere to be, amusment park, beach , i tend to pre prep stuff. I take most meats frozen, and eat what expensive first , as i dont care if i have to throw out some hot dogs.

3. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Not much prep work beforehand. I love cooking! We always eat well on our trips. Thick cut steaks. Baked potatoes cooked in fire coals. Fresh salads. Salmon. You name it. Most cooking is done over the campfire or outside stove.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We do very little cooking from scratch, at least for entire meals while camping. We batch cook at home anyway, and freeze in meal-sized portions. We just pull a few meals for each trip. We did it when we just had a cooler, but having a fridge and freezer that work well in the TT means that we no longer have to eat everything as it defrosts. We sometimes end up taking frozen stuff home.
    If we find good farm stands, we'll change up our meals, dependent on what's available. We do stir fry meals with(usually) frozen veggies.
    For breakfast, we do often cook - eggs (eggbeaters tote well), pancakes, steel cut oatmeal with dried fruit. We take precooked bacon and sausage (we either bake bacon ourselves and freeze it, or buy the precooked stuff). On sol trips, I do yogurt for breakfast and/or lunch. Otherwise, lunch is still pretty much as it's been through tents, popups, and now our small TT. We do cheeses, fruit, salami, hummus or such with crackers. We still use the cooler, mostly for iced tea and Gatorade, but we'll pack lunch in there if we're out and about in the vehicle.
    For special trips, we do take the Instant Pot if we'll have power - we meet friends for Thanksgiving, and do cook at least part of our meals from scratch. A friend and I will be going to a Sisters on the Fly even next month, and I'm cooking pot luck contributions ahead of time (chili is one of her requests - I'll be making foods that both of us can eat with our limitations).

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Since I'm usually out and about on my trips and the camper is mainly a home base, my meals are usually simple, quick, with as much prep-work done at home. I also try to minimize leftovers by making meals where leftovers can be used the following day. For instance fajitas one night and use whatever leftovers in a breakfast burrito the following morning. Breakfast and dinner are my main meals when camping and lunch is usually a sandwich on a trail. I prefreeze everything. Occasionally I will cut my onions and peppers at camp, especially if I try to minimize the excess water freezing creates. Potatoes is cut at camp as I don't like how it turns black. My eggs I usually keep whole as I may like a traditional eggs and toast vrs scrambled. I am now going to put my pancake mix in a separate container so I don't have to bring a whole box just mix water shake and pour. Now if Im camping with friends, at a rally or the Dutch oven group my meals almost always include a Dutch oven. And therefore more time consuming but oh so delicious. Occasionally I will bring it with me on my week long trips as there are days I just need a day of rest at camp. Not to mention a personal pan pizza is a huge hit for my little sidekick.

6. Sjm9911

I have no clue what steel cut oatmeal is? Im not a big breakfast person, as i dont eat eggs, so i was always left out of breakfast. I do pancakes and bacon mostly. But theres only so many pankakes you can eat. I have to try the pre cooked bacon, the normal stuff tends to go bad first. It freezes well but defrosts quicky. That leaves me eating 2 lbs of bacon in 3 days. ( my daughter helps ,in her words, pigs are the tastiest animals) On second thought maybe ill stick to the un cooked bacon:D jmjay tell us more of the pizza!

Orchid and HappyTraveler like this.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I don't prep beforehand. I really dislike leftovers and that includes freezing meals for later. So, I cook when I camp. Nothing fancy.

Eggs stay in the container and go in the fridge. Pancake mix, cream of wheat, etc., go in tupperware containers. I get indie size condiments from minimus.biz - no refrigeration needed.

8. HappyTraveler

Enjoying learning about other's menu and routine.
    What I'm noticing for ourselves is as tent campers we never got a site with electric, so splurged and got this cooler and kept our meals very simple. Freezing everything we could and making blocks of ice helps keep this puppy cold for close to a week. Most years, we would travel over 6,000 miles during our two week vacations, so picking up quick stuff in grocery stores on the road and doing a lot of sandwich type things and canned meals (beefaroni and Dinty Moore beef stew) made more sense to us.
    Since we aren't breakfast people, we just do coffee in the morning. Now we're older and doing more extensive trips; we head south for 4 or 5 weeks in late winter/early spring. That means we're spending quite a bit more time in a site, so are splurging on the electric sites. This is opening up new possibilities for us. For example, this year we brought our electric kettle to heat up water for our dripolator coffee pot instead of using our camping percolator on the camp stove.
    The comment about the Instapot is intriguing. I can see quite a lot of possibilities. For example, one of the things we've always done is chili; we make it ahead of time, then freeze to reheat later in our dutch oven with the coleman stove or camp fire. We do eggs and sausage for our big meal, and cook those on site, usually on the camp stove; do freeze the sausage ahead of time, though, but eggs are kept in the carton.
    Interestingly enough, we rarely, if ever, have done hot dogs or hamburgers. Steaks, however, yes. Do those over the fire. We also make a foil meal with chicken breast, carrots, potatoes, butter, S/P and a little mushroom soup cooked around the fire. Again, the chicken breast was frozen ahead of time and potatoes and carrots are fresh and prepped on site.

Orchid likes this.
  9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. I have a 10” regular size dutch oven. I use those throw away aluminum pie liners to put the pizza crust in mainly to be able to pull the pizza out of the hot Dutch oven and to enable me to put two pizzas in at the same time. Top the dough with everything you like on your pizza, if you like sausage and bacon you will need to cook those first. Put the first pizza in and then an empty pie tin upside down to create the platform for the second pizza. Put enough hot coals around the oven to bake at 350. About half way through the cooking time swap the pizzas so the one on top is now on the bottom this way both pizzas get cooked evenly. Continue cooking until done turning the lid and pot a bit to help even cooking. Side kick loves to be able to make her own. If you like a crispy bottom you can flip your Dutch oven lid upside down over on the hot coals or use a frying pan and just crisp up each pizza a little more. It’s a pain if you have a large family to cook for unless you use a bigger Dutch oven or have two going.

10. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

I learned something recently that I am going to apply to my menus this summer.

We have several high end grocery stores that have hot food buffets where the food is sold by weight. I find them expensive so never go. But a friend shared that they offer breakfast foods and bacon, already cooked by them, is cheaper then buying it and cooking it yourself.

We have more time than money so I precook and preplan the menu so we can camp more. I make muffins and cookies, marinate and freeze roasts and bring a crock pot.

Orchid, dbhost and HappyTraveler like this.
  11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

A sibling would routinely buy a pre-cooked chicken from the grocery store on her way out. That would be her first dinner at the campground.

I will often get the full length deli sandwich. They cut it into fourths and I eat one part each day for the first four days' lunch.

With the clipper, I have an oven, so I may get a prepared dish or two and heat them up for dinners.

Normally, I do my grocery shopping online. The day before I leave for camping, I go pick up the groceries on the way home from work. That way everything is fresh and I don't have to stop on the way out.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Cooking, other than steaks or burgers on the grill, is clearly DW's department. She also loves to cook. She normally plans out the menu for our trips and we shop accordingly. We too eat well when camping.

Leftovers from last night's dinner is normally lunch the next day. But she also will make deserts, etc. not normally associated with camping -- Apple Crisp is my favorite.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  13. Sjm9911

Oh, i forgot the pie iron. I want to try and make more then deserts with it......hymmm.....i have to start trying out recipies at home.

14. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

I make a few regular meals that I don't do at home. I make a chicken pot pie from scratch, except for a can of cream of chicken soup, in the DO. I saute garlic and onions then chicken. Add sliced carrots and frozen peas then the soup. No crust on the bottom but a batch of corn bread for the top. For another meal, I spray some aluminum foil and add a little Italian seasoned bread crumbs, some Parmesan cheese and a piece of chicken. Then cheese and bread crumbs on top, seal it up and toss on the grill. In other foil, I put cubed potatoes and sliced carrots with S/P and some basil. Toss on the grill. Both great for lunch the next day. I've done salmon and usually do turkey burgers (homemade, not the dry store bought ones) and hot dogs if the trip is long enough.

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I use my pie irons a lot. Try a poor mans pie, take 2 pcs bread cut the crusts off (sticks together better) then add whatever fruit jam etc. on a piece of the bread, place in pie iron and make sure the iron is closed tightly, toast one side the turn over, kids especially love this. The iron really make a great grilled cheese sandwich too.:)

16. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

A year or two ago, we did pie iron Reuben sandwiches... turned out awesome!! Will definitely make again!

Sjm9911 and HappyTraveler like this.
  17. HappyTraveler

I'm going to have to look into these pie irons, my mouth is watering reading these posts. :9

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

I can’t believe I never thought of jam! I don’t like fruit pie filling so all I’ve ever made with our pie irons is grilled cheese or pizza sauce with mozzarella. Adding jam to my packing list for our trip this weekend. Thanks!!

19. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We're at home but DW made an apple crisp on Sunday. Mmmmm Good!

20190505_170732_resized.jpg

20190505_171828_resized.jpg
    20190505_190019_resized.jpg

20. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

Ok I might sound stupid, but what are pie irons?