Camping Menu

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by HappyTraveler, May 3, 2019.

1. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Utensils for making hot sandwiches/deserts/anything else you can imagine. Put bread on either side with a filling between and heat over campfire

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camp-Chef-Dual-Square-Cooking-Iron-DSPI/203576254?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D28I|28-22_BBQ+GRILL|NA|PLA|General|Fixed|71700000041074675|58700004918395918|92700042616596774&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlf6wuaqH4gIVVrXACh2iEQhEEAQYASABEgLQ8fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Oh that does look good!

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Here is how to use them.

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I am usually the odd man out on this, but there are very few things I like made in a pie iron (or the easy make fire meals using prepared dough recipes). Grilled cheese, reubens, etc, are great.

Slices of bread with jam or pie filling - taste like pieces of bread with jam or pie filling. Pecan pie filling on bread - NO. They do not a fruit pie make.

Pizza fixings on sliced bread - NOT a pizza.

Ick!

HappyTraveler and kcsa75 like this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Add some butter !

HappyTraveler and dbhost like this.
  7. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Wife whips up some good stuff in a cast iron skillet, I keep it simple to a degree, I'd eat C rats if they still made 'em...breakfast--grits/oatmeal w/ Tabasco dash of salt & coffee...lunch--English muffin samich w/ foil pack tuna, various flavors...dinner--whatever the wife whips up in the skillet, usually chicken/stir fry etc, I keep nuts/apples for snacks, & during the cooler months we'll do fire pit coal taters & maybe grill a steak...I'm up before dawn fishing/kayaking etc, if the wife is fixing eggs/bacon when I get back, I'll eat some of that...come dusk, I may have a barley pop or 2...

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. bayport

bayport New Member

DH is the ultimate breakfast guy. We cube peppers, potatoes, onions, and sweet potatoes at home and store in a Mason jar. In camp he fries them up in the skillet with tomatoes and some sort of meat. We usually add eggs too. We have also scrambled eggs and made breakfast tacos with some salsa, tortillas, cheese and sometimes meat. For dinner we like to make mini pizzas with Naan bread (usually Stonefire brand.) We just put it on the fire grate and add a few toppings until nice and melty. I have also assembled a stromboli (pizza dough, pepperoni, cheese and pesto) ahead of time and frozen it. When it is thawed I bake it in greased tinfoil near the coals. We also really like taking a loaf of bread and some olive oil. We toast slices and dip in the oil. If we feel extra fancy we will bring tomatoes, garlic and basil and make bruschetta.

HappyTraveler, Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Sjm9911

Good idea, never thought of mason jars. Lol. I have some , and used to use then as a kid for preserves and such. Now , you gave me a whole new world that can be explored.........

10. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

We typically chop / dice up any veggies, or meats that need to be chopped / diced at home, and then put them in doubled up zipper bags to prevent leakage. This is not 100% though. A good example menu would be things like breakfast tacos with chorizo, eggs, pan fried potatoes, and cheese. The fried potatoes would brown if cut and not cooked. The potatoes almost always are made with diced onion and bell peppers which are done ahead of time.

So for the 2 of us a good menu would look like...

Friday / arrival day. Depending on how late we arrive, we most likely will have grabbed something fast on the road. If we are anywhere near one, most likely Whataburger...

Saturday.
    Breakfast. Chorizo breakfast tacos with eggs, cheese and pan fried potatoes. Chorizo pre cooked, onions and peppers pre cut ready to go with the potatoes. Cheese pre shredded, and pre made tortillas. Fruit, and coffee or tea.
    Lunch. Hot weather? Cold cut sandwiches. Cool / cold weather? Grilled hot dogs for her, Bratwurst for me. Onions, peppers, pickles etc... prepped at home and ready go go. I get my Kraut in I think it is a 6oz pouch from my local grocery...
    Dinner. Spaghetti with meat sauce. Meat browned and drained at home, sauced and canned / cooled. Just dump in the pan and reheat, boil some noodles. Campfire or BBQ kettle toasted garlic bread prepped in camp, since it is super fast and easy, and bagged Italian salad.

Sunday.
    Breakfast. Pan fried Ham egg and cheese bagel sandwiches. We use thick cut ham we cut to size ish and pan fry it, toast the bagels in the pan, cook the eggs and slap it together. Piece of fruit and coffee or tea.
    Lunch. Hot weather, see above. Cool / Cold weather. Grilled fajitas. Use pre tenderized and marinated skirt steak, pico de gallo pre made at home which we've been using all weekend on our eggs... sliced onions carmelized in foil on the grill, and pre made tortillas, pre shredded cheese.
    Dinner. foil pack baked stuffed chicken breasts with broccoli and cheddar. Prepped and wrapped at home, packed in the fridge / cooler in plasticware to keep from leaking and keep it fresh... Served with bread and drinks...

Monday.
    Breakfast. Instant oatmeal fruit and coffee, we are packing up and going home today! Make it as simple as possible. Be glad it's not pop tarts...

11. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Another handy use for pie irons is at the beach when it is windy and sand is blowing around, you can cook a grit-free burger.
    We have done jam pies but I am going to try some of your all tasty recipes!

12. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I wouldn't mind camping with @dbhost!

HappyTraveler and kcsa75 like this.
  13. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I'll cook, you wash...

Seriously now we love visiting with folks when we go camping the bigger the group the better unless they get out of hand! We used to be the only tent campers that would go with a camping group of older adults from our church. We often and that doing the cooking and loved it

14. neighbormike

Normally I am the one doing most of the cooking... and the dishes! :huh:

15. Sjm9911

Ok, twist my arm , ill go with you both, just cook and do the dishes. I'll supervise. See , all solved.

HappyTraveler and neighbormike like this.
  16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I have so much I want to add to this thread. I'll do so when we get back from our current camping trip, and can type on the computer.

After 55 years of camping (since birth to grandparent) I will share what I've done over the years.

Enjoying reading about how others approach it.

17. neighbormike

I guess I could try to answer the original question... usually no food prep is done ahead... I enjoy cooking... especially outdoor cooking! Breakfasts may consist of pancakes & bacon, bacon, eggs, toast, hash browns. Maybe McMuffins. I have also made biscuits & gravy (biscuits made ahead until I got the TT with oven). Dinners may include burgers or brats or pork chops. Steak or chicken always goes well with hobo packs of taters, onions, mushrooms, etc... Depending on the group, we may do some Dutch Oven breakfasts or dinners.

18. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Can I come too if I stay out of everyone's way? :)

19. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

For me, it really depends on who I KNOW is coming. I try to teach the grandkids something every time out , so they get more than burgers & dogs. I taught them to make Bannock on a greenstick and my own variation to make cinnamon rolls over a campfire. They really liked Boston canned bread, but I cheated and added a little sugar to it. My grandson still thinks the only proper way to make cornbread is in a black pot (dutch oven).

HappyTraveler and dbhost like this.
  20. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Well, it IS true... That is the only proper way!

HappyTraveler, kcsa75 and Shaman1 like this.