Camping near Durango, CO

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by 5cvlabrenzs, Feb 9, 2017.

1. 5cvlabrenzs

5cvlabrenzs Member

Anyone camped nearby? DW needs elec & water. Going to be there for 5 days the end of August.

2. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

3. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I stayed at this CG http://www.unitedcampgrounddurango.com/

I suspect it was a KOA at one time because it looks like a KOA building. However, this place was very accommodating, quiet and clean. The Silverton Durango line runs right through the CG and is fun to watch go by. The Animas river runs parellel to the CG as well. It is close to town and Durango offers a wide host of entertainment including the silverton durango train, river raft activities, bike rentals and a great downtown area full of shops, restaurants and micro breweries. I had the best beer of my life at Durango Brewing Co.

Have fun. I lived the area. Had a really good feel.

4. MKEdmond

MKEdmond New Member

It's been several years, but we tent camped at Lightener Creek Campground and really enjoyed it. We have made reservations for a week in mid-August this year to stay with our pop-up.

2007 Palomino Yearling
    2013 F150 Super Cab

5. outdoorboy

outdoorboy New Member

How did this trip go? I'm headed put that way in July and would like to know your thoughts on the area.

6. MKEdmond

MKEdmond New Member

It was a wonderful trip! Lightner Creek Campground is a great place. They actually adhere to their posted rules, making for a clean, quiet campground. This is the first place we ever camped where they came in and raked the sites to get ready for the next guests!

outdoorboy likes this.