Camping Near Gorges State Park

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by Joyfulnoise114, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Joyfulnoise114

Joyfulnoise114 New Member

My family and I are setting off on an adventure from the North Georgia mountains into North Carolina. We would love to camp somewhere near Gorges State Park, Cashiers, Sapphire or Lake Toxaway. Anyone have a suggestion? We love the outdoors more than RV parks, but are willing to stay anywhere that has bathroom facilities.

2. TNDawg

TNDawg New Member

Davidson River is a NFS campground on 276 just north of Brevard. Some of the bathhouses are dated, but some remodled and nice. Wonderful area for PUPs & always my 1st choice. Probably 30 - 45 min to Toxaway area. DW enjoyed Black Forrest Family Campground a few year back & it will be a tad closer to the are you are seeking. Push on over towards Highlands and give Van Hook Glade a try. I've only done a drive by but it was gourgeous (though tiny). If you go somewhere else post back with your review. That region holds a soft spot for me and I sneak over the mountains whenever I can.

3. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

4. Joyfulnoise114

Joyfulnoise114 New Member

We camped at the Black Forest Family Campground at Cedar Mountain, NC. We were so pleased with this campground.
    The staff was friendly and very helpful with information about the area. They waved at our kids and asked if there was anything we needed.
    The sites were spacious and each pad was very level. Easy in and out with our pup. Also, there were plenty of trees between each site, so there was ample privacy.
    The bath house was by far the cleanest, biggest and nicest that we have ever been to. It was cleaner than some hotels that I have stayed at. We have small kids that take showers with us and there was plenty of room and hooks in the changing/shower areas for all of our gear. A bonus is that the path to the bathhouse has lights all along it, so no need for a flashlight during late night visits.
    It is on the side of a mountain, so there are stairs and some sites that have a steep hike to the bath house. However, the staff was very accommodating when we made reservations and asked how close we preferred to be to the bath house.
    There is so much to do in the area. If hiking, biking, and waterfall searching is what you like, you will not be disappointed. If you enjoy shopping, eating and antique shopping, there is plenty to see.
    We highly recommend this lovely campground and look forward to our next trip.

TNDawg likes this.
  5. scwalk

scwalk New Member

If you stay at Black Forest and like to golf, there’s a Really nice little Par 3 18 hole golf course just up the road a little - Sherwood Forest. They have great rates, twilight rates, regular carts and decent pull carts. Usually can see lots of wildlife (even deer) on the greens. The manager is a great guy - say hi to Lucy, his little dog who is always around.