Camping pet peeves

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JHOP, Jun 11, 2018.

1. kskelloggs

kskelloggs New Member

We camp with our dog, who just happens to have epilepsy. He tends to get anxious, and will bark if strangers are too close, but usually only if they happen to be walking a dog to close. He's on meds and has to have them at 6am and 6pm every day, so I am up early. What my pet peeve is the people who also travel with their furry friends and just let them run loose.

Pommom70 likes this.
  2. Debdon Journeys

Debdon Journeys New Member

Paying to camp next to the railroad tracks. I will preface this that I love trains I go to Cass every couple of years and try to ride trains as much as we can. However Camping next to a active rail line in Williamsburg VA worst night of sleep ever trains ran about every 45-90 minutes Just as you are getting back to sleep screeching wheels thunderous roar of the Locomotives traveling at about 60 mph causing you to clutch your dear wife thinking this is "checkout" time. When we went to complain we got some song and dance about how the owner doesn't give refunds unless you submit them in writing, of course he wasn't available. A piece of fabric doesn't give much sound damping. I would not recommend staying at the Anvil Campground in Williamsburg. If the customer is unhappy you give a refund!

1380ken likes this.
  3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

This is why I always look at potential campgrounds with Google Maps/Satellite view. For example this one... even if it wasn't right off of a railroad track and smashed between not one but TWO large highways, the whole place is a gravel parking lot with spaces no further apart than a parking lot. This is clearly a place to park your big rig RV while going to the theme parks.

Attached Files:

4. CatzWilson

CatzWilson New Member

Agree on the loud, inconsiderate drunks, and avoid camping on holiday weekends too ... worse game invented(j/k) when played is the Corn Hole Toss at 3A-nobody in ear shot gets any sleep.

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We camped at Clear Lake (IA) State Park over the 4th last year for the first time ever camping a holiday weekend. Clear Lake is a major draw over the 4th and I expected pandemonium at the campground. I was shocked how quiet it was, even the night of the 4th itself. The people across from us were several units together doing a lot of drinking, but they were really considerate about it. At one point someone nearby set up a big screen and had a movie that all the kids watched (including ours) and even though it was at like 7pm they kept the volume really low.

6. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

Our usual campground is primarily a seasonal permanent TT park. Totally not our scene, but it is close to home for a quick weekend getaway, which we often cant plan until last minute. They have a loop in the back wooded part of the property for tent/no hookup camping...its "rustic". We enjoy it back in the woods and the owners are real nice. The wife and I both work full time in customer service type jobs, so for us, just getting away from people and enjoying our time together is the vacation. 90% of the time we have the entire 15 site wooded area to ourselves and I have never once had a problem booking our favorite site last minute. Our pet peeves are probably considered selfish based on the primary business the campground does, and as much as they annoy us, its not enough to cause us not to return.

1. Golf Carts: I get the usefulness of them in the main area of the campground, but there is no need to go "joyriding" back into the wooded area. Our dog is normally quiet and well behaved, but when they zip back and for no reason other than a joy ride, im tired of getting a dirty look because he barks and wants to chase them.

2. Drunk Driving Golf Carters: Oh yes, once the sun sets and the booze flows, they get worse and will roll right into your site trying to BS with you. If I booked the site for the weekend, its my damn property...where do you get off trespassing? Im a big grumpy looking guy and my dog aint having any strangers within 20 feet of my wife, so the visits are usually short lived and we get back to relaxing around the fire.

3. People who camp right on top of you: As I have said before, we usually have the entire wooded section to ourselves. On the rare occasion someone else books a "wooded" site the owner does a great job of trying to space people out...but he wont (and shouldn't have to) deny someone any open site. Most of the time they end up right next to us. And most of the time I think its because they are actually unprepared and scared to be in the woods alone. I swear the conversation goes "Put me right next to someone who is prepared and has packed all the salt, pepper, matches, firestarters, air pumps, tools, etc that I forgot to pack...oh and make sure they can read instructions for this tent I just bought 20 minutes ago"...as I said before, I work in the customer support field and I am almost always going to help a stranger out...but IM ON VACATION

Gawd it felt good to get that off my chest....I really need to get camping soon.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  7. penny

penny Well-Known Member

HAHA! I feel your pain, and I don't think these would be selfish at all! I would hate every one of them too!

8. algonquingirl

algonquingirl Active Member

One of my biggest pet peeves is people driving everywhere in the campgrounds - the showers, the beach, the bathroom. There's no need for it. Enjoy nature and use your feet!

9. McCampers

McCampers Member

Our biggest pet peeve is drunken campers who are out of control. If someone is that type of drunk they should stay home. I can put up with drinking and most handle it well. Problems occur because one or two can't handle it and it prevents everyone else from enjoying their time.
    Our second biggest pet peeve would be diesel pick up trucks. They are loud, their exhaust stinks up the park and their owners always are inconsiderate and leave them running at an idle for hours. There is no use in this.

kcsa75 likes this.
  10. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

To many people here camping just means a different setting to be falling down drunk in.
    I'd rather they just did it at home so I don't have to hear.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I might be drunk , but im quiet and in bed at 10. Lol

Tothetide and WVhillbilly like this.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I think the issue is really INCONSIDERATE PEOPLE.

Every pet peeve has that in common. And every pet peeve would not be named if the people doing the thing were being considerate while doing it.

Drunks who keep it down and don't create scenes.
    Parents who keep their kids under control and clean up after them.
    Owners who keep their dogs under control and clean up after them.
    Campers who ensure their exhaust, smoke, music, noise don't disrupt other campers.
    Campers who don't encroach on others space.

None of those are on the pet peeve list. But inconsiderate people are.

neighbormike likes this.
  13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Was going to say - no one hears me fall down lol [CB][LOL]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. Toedtoes

But do they hear when you're trying to get back up??? :grin:

15. neighbormike

Ha! I suppose that is a possibility![:)C]

16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Who said he gets back up?:rolleyes:

17. Toedtoes

I said TRYING to get back up... [LOL]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. neighbormike

I'm right here people... I can hear you! [SNZ] [LOL]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. Toedtoes

You're drunk. You won't remember any of this tomorrow.

But don't worry, I'll make up oops tell tells you all the crazy and embarrassing things you did today.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  20. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

That is an important distinction. :D

Sjm9911 likes this.