Camping Safety.

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by NMroamer, Aug 25, 2021.

1. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

For all you who have the babe in the woods idea of safety.
    A family of three including a baby might have died drinking the water. A young woman was buried by a rock slide hiking alone.
    Last and saddest incident, two women were murdered camping near Moab Utah.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Still safer then some places. Depends on where you live;)

xxxapache likes this.
  3. NMroamer

My point is don't leave your awareness at home.

xxxapache, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. rsdata

rsdata Active Member

I don't believe experienced campers are very naive about camping and hiking in campgrounds or in the wilderness. Many do conceal carry in the highly unlikely scenario they have to pull it. Younger less experienced persons possibly are naive, but they don't often read a forum like this. However, you did good putting out the word.

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Don't leave your awareness at home anywhere.

theseus, xxxapache and kitphantom like this.
  6. NMroamer

My bear gun.

Attached Files:

7. RCmom

RCmom Active Member

On one of my 2021 camping trips, I witnessed a man being arrested by county sheriffs and the local police. Not sure what the sheriff was arresting him for, but during the arrest there was some pushing and shoving so the local police added on physical assault of a police officer, resisting arrest and disturbing the peace. It was the headline in the local news the next morning.

The camper who was arrested was from 3 states north of the private CG and arrived the day before. Upon failure to check out a few days later, 2 tow trucks came and moved his pickup and travel trailer to a storage area. They tossed all the camping gear into the bed of the truck.

8. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

That might ricochet off the bears forehead only pissing him off lol.

You'll shoot your eye out, you'll shoot your eye out.

djmello99 likes this.
  9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

There was a bad water incident at one campground I went to. Thankfully as far as I’m aware no serious injuries occurred and from what I believe fairly local. Apparently due to very severe flooding the dump station overflowed and apparently the waterline got contaminated. Thankfully most sane people knew about the storm so went home before the storm hit, the few campers that stuck it out were already using onboard water. When I left the day after the storm the rangers were putting “do not drink” signs on the few spickots in the campground. I will tell you the smell was horrendous and rangers scrambling all over trying to cordon off areas, closing the beach, etc.

I agree with the poster to always be aware of your surroundings. Don’t get so comfortable that you leave all reasoning at home. You never know what could happen, at the same time you don’t want to lock yourself up at home and never leave. Take as many precautions as you would if walking in an unknown city. You may be in the woods but you are still in an unknown area. Pay attention to any signs and follow them. There is a reason they put them up.

kitphantom likes this.
  10. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I was gong to post a comment a few weeks ago when I read the story about the two women who were shot to death near Moab. But I couldn't think of a way to not sound morbid. But now that you bring it up, here are my thoughts on safety at a camp site.

I have seen many videos on YouTube put up by solo camping women. Not that that is all I watch, but some on them are pretty interesting. My concern is for the women who post videos and are always clad in nothing but a Bikini or Thong and are posing in some provocative setting. I know it is good for getting male subscribers, but some day one of those Subscribers may just be the next Ted Bundy. At my age I have no desire to be with or see a women dressed like that. I'm just too old now for that and would feel uncomfortable. There are many videos by solo women who are properly dressed and have great video content. I have subscribed to several of them. Men need to be careful as well. When I camp in the Boonies with or without my family I always have my friend "Ruger" with me. So does both of my sons. We are not worried about animals!

11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

And remember the young couple shot to death at night while sleeping out on the beach at Jenner, CA. the culprit was eventually found, already in jail, and had no explanation for why he killed them.
    Fortunately, the number of murderous crazies is really small.

12. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

I do recall that happening years back when I was camping in NC- the rangers went as far as taking a file to the threads so you couldnt hook up.
    I have a general distrust of water supplies, and so my drinking water is usually botted, treated, or filtered. (boiled if you count for drinks).

edit:
    mystery removed- I think its one and the same as the baby death (from toxic algae bloom)

13. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

In my opinion, I think the likelyhood of a person being attacked while camping is less than at home.

Again just my opinion.

Ductape, kitphantom and 1380ken like this.
  14. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

debbie-downer-01.jpg

Wow, this post reminds me of my mom, RIP. When I was in college she used to give me the rundown of everyone who had gotten in a car accident in the past week: "Did you hear about the guy near Forest City who ran off the road? He's in a coma and they don't think he'll make it..." Even when I was an adult living in Minneapolis she'd give me this rundown over the phone, and be surprised when I didn't hear of all these accidents... "Well they were all on the news, don't you watch it?"

Point is, everything in life has a risk. We learn to manage risks, or you could lock yourself up in a bunker your whole life. I could post stories of home invasions where people were shot in their sleep... they are likely far more common than incidents camping.

Just get out and enjoy yourself. And stop trying to scare people lol.

curt86iroc and 1380ken like this.
  15. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

16. tombiasi

You are more likely to have a tree limb fall on you or get bit by a snake. When I used to backpack I always felt very comfortable sleeping next to the fire. I just couldn't picture a bad guy hiding behind a tree for months waiting for someone.

Ductape and theseus like this.
  17. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Still much, much more dangerous driving to and from camping.

18. tombiasi

Statistics agree with this.

19. NMroamer

Time for this thread to die.

20. tombiasi

A thread ends when people have nothing more to say.

Grandpa Don likes this.