Camping: Single with kids...

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by bheff, Jul 19, 2019.

1. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Thought it would be fun to see who else is single and camps with the kids. Or camps without their S.O.
    If you have tips, tricks or just want to share a story, this is the thread for you.

I'll start. I have 4 kids but the older 2 are out on their own. So that leaves me with a 13 year old and a 3 year old. We mjust finished a 1908 mile round trip to a beach in Florida. It was a perfect vacation and the kids were remarkable. They split their time between me and mom and every week we try to find a place to camp or they discuss camping.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    J Starsky and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I’m single female and camp with my niece sometimes. When she was younger it was more often, sadly now that she got into cheerleading I’m lucky to get one small trip with her. Before the teens hit, she was a great camper and a big help with everything. Despite her rolling her eyes now, the fact she still wants to camp with me, tells me she still enjoys it even if she won’t say anything. It’s pulling teeth now to get help from her, but I camp alone a lot too so I’m used to the setup. We never went further than five hours from home though, mainly because I can’t get much more than five days off of work and if We ran into problems I wanted to still be able to get her home safely. We actually have a trip coming up together, although her father (my brother) is going to join us. For once he is putting his daughter first. Which is a miracle.

3. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Camp with the boys some while DW stays home with DQT. DW and DQT aren't big fans of camping without hookups.

Sjm9911 and bheff like this.
  4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I used to take my kids tent camping alone all the time. There were a couple years in WV that I homeschooled, and the state parks would clear out to just about empty once school started. We would camp for most of the following month, until they closed for winter. Hubby would join us on weekends.

Those were the best times! State parks here in Florida won't even allow stays longer than 2 weeks. They may not allow it up there anymore either. But regardless, it was a wonderful time. We would hike and swim with our two dogs. The kids would leisurely and happily work on school lessons at the picnic table. It was pre-internet days and we would bring lots of nature identification books along with us and the kids would look up everything.

The oldest even checked out a book on training a dog to scent track, and successfully trained one of our dogs to track during the fall of the second year we did this.

Several times, I've also taken several of my kids, along with their friends, on camping trips as the only adult. Sometimes tent camping, and once we rented a rustic cabin.

I have actually enjoyed camping solo with kids over the years.

5. BillyMc

State Parks everywhere we've been have a 14 day limit. Some parks would allow you to change sites an stay another 14 days, but then you have to leave.

AlexVanEks, Pommom70 and Orchid like this.
  6. Orchid

I figured it was a thing most places now. Back in those days, it hadn't become a problem yet I suppose. Like everything else in life, there are those that will take advantage eventually. The years that I was talking about in my post were about 23 years ago.

Even now, as a grandmother, I would take the grandchildren camping solo. I don't because DH is always available, but I definitely would.

Sjm9911 and BillyMc like this.
  7. Bluerose81

Bluerose81 New Member

I've taken my kids tent camping by myself since I was pregnant with the third. Now I'm officially a single mom and we just got back from our first 5 day trip with our new to us popup. It was just me, 4 kids ages 16-7 and a giant dog. We can't wait to go again!

8. Orchid

Heck yeah, you go Girl!

Sjm9911 and Bluerose81 like this.
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

As a single dad, i take my daughter with me all the time. My advice( that i have yet to follow) is simple meals! Its a bit of work for me, as my daughter is still too young to really help. So its mostly , me setting up breaking down and taking a break to make sure my daughter is occupied, and out of the way more or less. The good part about camping is that the kids get to play with others and for the most part stay off the electronics. So more free play, freedom, and imaginative play. Also, we get to hike a bit, and see other places. Best thing i did to the camper is the above sink shelves. All you small food items and other stuff that would be on the table, and seats is up there, frees up room to atually sit!

10. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I’m just recently been able to convince my wife to come camping with us, so it’s almost always been just the older son and I. Many times we go with my parents too, so that always helps. I haven’t taken both boys (now 5 and 2) with just me yet, but that will happen soon.

The biggest thing that helped me with taking the kid solo was getting a potty for the pup. There’s nothing worse than having to pee after the kid’s asleep and not being able to go to the bathhouse.

AlexVanEks, DJS12354 and neighbormike like this.
  11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I camp alone with my son. DW has zero interest in the pup. She did go on a tent camping trip or two when he was a Cub scout, but that is it. Last year we had 4 or 5 trips I think. He is in high school now and we haven't used it once. His schedule got super busy, he has only been home for a combined total of 14 days this summer so far.

We might get a trip in this fall off I am lucky.

12. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

@Sneezer, I hope you are able to get out and enjoy soon! Even if solo!

Tulip likes this.
  13. BillyMc

If "we" didn't use it "I" would solo. We've done nine nights with at least five more booked this year.

14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Soloing can be wonderful. No demands except what you put on yourself. :)

neighbormike and BillyMc like this.
  15. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I solo camp and take my grandkids with me often. My younger son's kids especially like camping. No matter how often we go, they always want to go again and they're 10, 12 & 15.

BillyMc likes this.
  16. Ntk37

Ntk37 Member

I’be gone out every year with my two boys since they were 5&8, basically by myself. We typically go to a CG we adore, which happens to be 15 mins from my folks place. So when we’re there they tend to stop in for a few hours to visit, but it’s all up to me to set up, cook, and keep everything moving along. I love it. It’s stressful, and a lot of work, but they’re only little for such a short time. I hope when they remember these trips fondly later in life.

For advice I’d say simple meals, and CGs with lots of activities to keep occupied. Enjoy it!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. JennInJersey

JennInJersey New Member

I’m divorced and going to be taking my young teen son out in our new pop-up for our first time soon. We haven’t been able to camp before now for a bunch of reasons, none of which had to do with whether or not the ex would come along. We have gone on plenty of other vacations without his dad and it’s easier in some ways, though many of those are part of the reason for the divorce, honestly the husband was more of another person to take care of than a co-parent.

When I was a kid, my mom would take my sisters and I camping with out our dad often. She even sometimes would take our cousins too.

Dad only ever came if we were going to a cabin with electricity, a kitchen, and a full bathroom. Dad wasn’t really very outdoorsy. As far as I know he only ever spent the night in a tent a few days when forced to while in the airforce, and was still complaining about it 50+ years later.

I would say the big downside to camping with just mom was that any time we needed something from town we all had to pile into the car and go along with her.

Some of the issues can be solved by camping along with other single parent families. Like when we went camping with my girlscout troop, it was 3 moms and no dads, so one mom would be supervising the cooking fire while another took some girls to gather wood and the other ran into town to get more marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  18. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have always been hesitant going out solo only because it always feels like I am running out on the family. I travel enough for work that takes me away from home that I really don't want to do it on a weekend too. However as I am getting older I am realizing that sometimes you just need to do it although I would still try to plan it during times where everyone is busy so I won't be missed as much.

Arlyn Aronson and neighbormike like this.
  19. DCross79

DCross79 New Member

I'm married but DH doesn't like camping, so I take our girls (6 & 9) on my own . Last year we went twice in our popup. This year we've gone to the dark side and have a fifth wheel. We took it out in June, and this Friday we're heading off for a week.

The kids and I often go to visit family or just adventuring without hubby, so camping isn't really different.

The biggest difference to me is they go to bed early and want me with the , so if we're camping near friends I don't get to socialize in the evening. I bring a good book

I love the connection time we get camping .

Arlyn Aronson and J Starsky like this.
  20. MeaganS

MeaganS New Member

I regularly take our 4 girls ages 11-3 camping without dh. He doesn't like camping and before the last 2 years, he was too busy with work to go places much with us. He was one of my motivations for getting a popup, and now he comes more often. However, the girls and I have still gone out with it alone too and used to tent camp without him. I get an itch to travel or do something outside of my normal day to day life and camping provides an inexpensive way to do that. My kids seem to like it well enough. And now that they are old enough to help somewhat, it is much less exhausting to do. It is also the reason I bought a little porta potty for the camper. The biggest con for camping for me was having to take kids to the bathroom all night long. Now I don't have to. :)

AlexVanEks and Arlyn Aronson like this.