Camping: Single with kids...

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by bheff, Jul 19, 2019.

1. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Wife isn't fond of camping unless there is lots of extra family/friends involved. I go whenever I have the opportunity, with or without kids. In fact, I make it mandatory that I get to go camping for my birthday. Others are always welcomed to join me, but I have no problem going completely solo. You don't have to ask permission for anything (a big plus when you have a needy/bossy spouse), you can eat whatever/whenever you want, and I get to enjoy the kinds of outdoorsy things without getting nagged on all the time. My boys love to dirtbiking with me, but the wife hates it and doesn't want to be left alone. So, camping equals quality time with my boys or quality "alone" time with my fishing pole and silence.

2. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

I took my three boys to Oregon from MO. My mom was along for the first half, but she flew home. I sure could have used her on the way home, though. Mr. 3 and I both got stomach flu...

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  3. brdeel

brdeel Member

I'm a single mom and have been camping with my now 12 and 14 yr olds for 4 years. We usually camp with other single parent families which makes it really fun. We know each other well enough that a couple parents can be out on the water paddle boarding while a parent or two is on shore and has permission to tell each other's kids to cut it out. We've done a couple 6 day trips with just us, but as the only adult it's tough emotionally to adult alone and have no other parents to commiserate with when the kids keep bickering over dumb crap.

We just came back from 6 days in Ouray, CO, a 7 hour drive for us. Our friends wouldn't have gone that far to camp, so we went on our own to see a new part of the state. The con is my kids drove me nuts (having been cooped up so long for covid has made it worse). The pro is we did a lot more things in day trips and stuff and took my 4X4 up high clearance roads to see some amazing beauty! Our friends wouldn't have done that. The kids and I are really glad we went to see the most gorgeous mountain scenes we've encountered thus far, but in general we'd prefer simpler trips with friends--adults for me to hang out with, and kids for them to run around with.

Orchid, Sjm9911 and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  4. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Bridget, I like your attitude. If you and those 2 kids and dog head northeast this summer to the UP of MI (this is above WI and on the south shore of da BIG lake). Look us up and we'll camp with you. I used to reside in WY and got to CO many times while there. Most of my family is in central SD. Oh and we've got relatives in G Junction.

mmpopuplvr, brdeel and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. brdeel

brdeel Member

Arlyn, thanks for your kindness. It would be fun to meet up with folks I've met on here. Maybe some day we'll make it that far! What are your favorite places to go in CO? I'm always looking for new spots to check out.

6. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Last time in Denver we were there for my spouses training conference, so no camping involved. We headed west after that to visit my Grand Junction relatives. Ha! I found a photo of us riding in Grand Junction area!

Grand Junuction trail A&S I (DL).jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    brdeel likes this.
  7. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Single Dad with 2 daughters aged 8 and 12

mmpopuplvr, Sjm9911 and brdeel like this.
  8. brdeel

brdeel Member

Hmmm. I've never seen a tandem mountain bike. I'd think that would make it a lot harder to maneuver on rough terrain

1380ken and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. brdeel

brdeel Member

I see you are from the Poconos. Beautiful area. I'm from Virginia. I took my kids to the Poconos in the fall for a week when they were little.

10. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Yeah I’ve been in this area for 41 years. First 17 years of career I worked in NJ in Biopharma Sector. Divorced in 16 tossed it away and became a truck driver.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life Gold Supporting Member

Camped with my sons for several years before they became too interested in cars/girls/friends. Mom would have a few days with the house to herself. We would meet the FIL a couple times a year. He had a pup and me and the boys would set up a tent on his site. We used to always have some sort of cook-off every trip, pancakes was a favorite contest. Really learned how to camp in a pup from him, still use most of his tried and true methods to this day. The boys would head off right after breakfast to fish or ride bikes or explore and return before lunch. Nowadays I camp mostly by myself in the Jayco. The wife wants a private head and shower so that rules the pup out, eventually I’ll probably have to go dark if I expect her to come along.

neighbormike likes this.
  12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat. Pup is my hobby, DW is uninterested until I get a TT/HTT. Financially I don't see that happening anytime soon, and my son has fallen into the fumes hard this year. With covid we are not heading anywhere this year either.

13. AndreD

AndreD Active Member

I’m a single parent of three that are six and under. It’s a lot of work for sure, especially when you have two still in diapers but it’s worth it. Bought a brand new pop up just to make camping easier. Traditional tent camping was too much work on my own

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021