Camping this weekend, will it be too noisy?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Courtney, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Courtney

Courtney New Member

We are thinking of taking our new PUP out for its first maiden voyage to a nearby campground this Friday-Sunday. We have a 2 year old and 3 month old. How likely is it that other campers will be lighting fireworks late into the night? Are noise ordinances common or does it depend on the campground? I didn't think about that until last night when some neighbors were celebrating the 4th early.
    We'd be at one of the larger campgrounds and I'm guessing it'll be pretty full.
    What would you do??

2. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Funny, my wife and I just decided to book for this weekend and also had the same concern. Our kids are older than yours though (12, 10 & 7). Camping on July 4th weekend you are bound to run into celebrations. I don't mind that kind of revelry. I just don't like the drunk idiots screaming and hollering into the night. We have decided to just "roll with it" for this weekend. But it's much tougher with young kids like yours. Hope you find a quiet place and enjoy camping this weekend.

3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

The two year old will probably sleep through the fireworks. If it is a state or federal campground the rangers wont let people set off fireworks after quite time starts. Are fireworks legal in your state?

4. justwork

justwork Member

We have a 2, 5, and 7 year old. They would sleep through an invasion. However, they can't sleep past 6am... It's one weekend, just go with it.

5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

shouldn't be a problem, as most campgrounds usually don't allow fireworks, even if legal in your state, not that it don't happen, but most I have been too are pretty strict. ( I would be pretty upset if somebody lit my awning up by a mis guilded bottle rocket!)

campfire Joe likes this.
  6. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

If in a National Forest, the rangers will issue tickets, and most likely kick anyone out who sets off a firecracker.
    Federal Code: Title 36, Chapter II, Part 261, Subpart A, 261 The following are prohibited: 16d Discharging or igniting a firecracker, rocket or other firework, or explosive.
    And never seen a FS campground that was not posted in numerous places that fireworks were illegal.
    Up in Red Lodge a few years ago, saw two rangers write tickets, and wait till the group of ten left the site with a warning to not come back for 14 days.

BLM campground it depends on if fire restrictions are in effect. But when quiet time starts, no fireworks allowed.

Orchid likes this.
  7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Aside from the fireworks issue, the amount of noise will vary a lot depending on the type and location of the campground. There are some people who will not camp on holiday weekends, no matter what. We'll camp on holidays, when we're in places less accessible. We don't camp any summer weekend in NM where there's a lake, or close to the cities, either.
    We stopped overnight at a KOA on Memorial Day weekend. We knew it would not be a peaceful retreat, but it's what worked for us on the way elsewhere. Lots of huge family groups, quite a few children who should have been supervised more closely (for their safety as well as noise, it was actually a little scary to drive in and out with all the bikes, kids, and dogs w/little supervision.) We've done it in the popup in the past, in the TT this time - both times, white noise from a fan was helpful in the evening.
    We stopped again the next weekend, on the way home, and it was almost as busy, so location enters into the equation in that campground.

8. Courtney

Courtney New Member

Yes, Iowa just changed state law to allow a larger variety of fireworks. I figured quiet time would discourage people, and the one we are looking at is a state park.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

State parks I find are pretty much a safe bet at least where I live. They usually have rules against alchoal and fireworks and if not about the fireworks then they are really big on quiet hour. I sure wouldn't want to stay at a private campground unless you have previous experience about how strict they are with rules. My experience though is during holidays the campgrounds will probably be very crowded. You can probably call the park in advance and ask their rules on fireworks. With many people in a campground not to mention the risk of fire they are probably going to say no. Gosh knows the rangers are probably already dreading the 4th.

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I am surprised that you can find a vacancy this late on a holiday weekend.

Natureangel likes this.
  11. dlaudens

dlaudens Member

I'm with some of the others.....I'd be less worried about the fireworks and more worried about the rowdy campers. Holidays seem to bring out the people who don't camp very often and don't know (or maybe don't care) about quiet hours and being considerate. It really depends on the campground staff and how well they enforce the rules.

12. Courtney

Courtney New Member

The closest park with reservations is a couple hours away...
    We're thinking of driving down that morning and doing the walk-up reservation. Parks around here seem to only have a handful of reservable sites. The park is only ~15 from our house so even if we can't secure something we don't lose that much time in the day.

13. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

It really will depend on the campground and how much they enforce their rules. Every campground I've stayed at had rules about "Quiet Hours", but at some campgrounds, that didn't stop the drunks a few sites over from being loud all night long.

State parks are usually good for being quiet. In MN (where I live), they don't even allow alcohol. That's one of the reasons I enjoy camping there - It's nice, quiet, and relaxing. I don't go camping to party all night long (I use to, but got that out of my system).

14. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

And where the nearest fireworks are. The campground I usually go to for the 4th, the nearest town has fireworks. They don't start them until it's black out. So by the time everyone gets back to their vehicles, gets out of the parking area, drives back to the campground, it's like 10:30. So there a line of cars driving around the campground with lights(sometimes brights) on, usually doesn't settle down until after 11pm.

15. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Almost all campgrounds have a no fireworks policy. Getting in would be the bigger concern but you've got about the best solution already thought out.

16. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

The campground that we are going to is having a band play in the field Saturday night. They usually stop by 11.

17. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

I would say go. If your 2yr old is anything like most kids, he/she? will be running around discovering everything possible and will likely be an overtired and cranky beast ("I'm not tired!", "I don't want to go to bed!") before crashing. :D
    The 3mo old may be more of a gamble unless your house is always a bit noisy anyway, in which case, noise while sleeping is nothing new.

White noise may be your friend. I don't know how your PUP is fitted out, but I know that with ours, having the A/C running and a couple of fans blowing the air around makes it almost impossible to hear any noise from the outside.

18. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

We are camping this weekend and will be celebrating Canada's 150th on Sat at Alice Lake...got my white and red tacky lights up on the awning and hung our flags. Will it be busy and noisy? More than likely, we have been here since last Sunday.

19. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Bring fans for background noise

20. SENMCamper

SENMCamper New Member

We were at a national forest campground a couple of weeks ago and the first two days were very nice, everyone observing the quiet hours and generator running times, then the party group shows up with there big lights and loud generator, it was a bad night as they were right accross from us. We didn't complain but several others did and they were told to leave the next morning. The campground hosts came around and apologized and assured us that was not the norm. It's very irritating when people ignore the rules and mess things up for everyone else, it's rather selfish of them. Hope everyone's 4th is what you want it to be. Most organized campgrounds have rules for quiet times, I would check with the campground host or owner.