camping this year looks iffy

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by turtle, May 18, 2010.

1. turtle

turtle New Member

I work a govt job where we bid on days off every 6 months so I bid on Wed/Thurs for the summer to camp on the slower days since the DW doesn't work and we get a 50% senior discount on week days. I bid Fri/Sat in the winter so we can do some family things. Now there is a possibility that we may have to work 6 days a week mandatory.
    While I am thankful to have a good paying job right now I'm very disappointed that I may not get to camp. It's my only get away from a very stressful job and if I can't camp I would have taken the Fri/Sat for the summer also.
    I don't think Management understands that people have different stress relief activities and mine is camping, which is not a one day off activity. The stress builds all winter, I really need my camping at least once a month in the summer, if not more.

2. darrenandmelissa

darrenandmelissa Member

Wow i didn't realize that govt employees worked 5 days a week, let alone 6. [:D]

I'm just pulling your leg but that would really suck, i like having the weekends to myself not just for camping but to have some time with my family.

3. fire4effect97

fire4effect97 Russ & Shawna, DD1, DD2, DD3

I hear you turtle I'm a government employee too. Lucky for me though I am the senior man in the department that is not management and get to pick first. Management doesn't care about the employee at least were I work so good luck and don't let management get you down. See if you can switch days off with someone that helps my fellow emplloyees out. If you don't help each other no one else is.

4. Big D

Big D New Member

That's hard guys... I work for the local council here Near Brisbane. Have worked every weekend for 10 years!(except 3 last year) Holiday applications have to be submitted 3 months out and even if they're approved, one stroke of a pen can see them gone! We are on a 'no replacement' policy wich means if someone is sick or injured, you gotta cover their shift! We tend to ask for mid week leave to avoid the busier weekend. Good luck getting some time with the camper people!

5. slicvickie

slicvickie Member

On the other hand, I'm one of those that recently got her lay off notice after 30 years working at the same place. Granted, I have as much time as I want now to go camping, but in truth, I'd rather have my 26 work days per month job! [:!]

6. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

Nobody said you cant recuperate from your 3 day "illness" at the campground.

7. turtle

turtle New Member

I have a feeling there may be a lot of 24-48 hr flu going around.