Camping weather?

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by firepit, Jul 18, 2020.

1. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

You’re a good dog owner. Enjoy them as much as possible. Camping can wait till fall or early winter. We lost our cat to coyotes this year. Haven’t gotten another one since.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][put&hy]

firepit likes this.
  2. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss...My condolences.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I know it will seem soft, but if it is forecast to be in the 80's, we'll be sure to seek a 30A site so we can run the A/C and/or fans. In AK, 80 is hot, but the sun also beats down on the rig 17-19 hours a day, so there's normally no relief.

Other than that, we camp all weather May-Sep. Beyond those dates, it's simply too energy intensive to keep from freezing up, and all of the commercial sites with power to help prevent that are closed for the season.

4. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Planning a long trip with the turn around being in your neck of the woods. Planning a northern route up, spend a couple weeks there in June, then down and across the southern states coming home.

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I hate the heat. Summer camping is not enjoyable for me. Spring, fall and winter are best. Granted, I use my camper as a hotel room to visit the sights, so I am not that big on hiking/biking//campfires and the like. Setting up and taking down in the summer really sucks. I usually keep a fresh set of clothes and shower gear handy, and once the camper is done and hitched, I hit the showers before hitting the road. We generally avoid travel in the hotter parts of the year, unless it is to go somewhere cooler. If the weather were to spike heat wise, we may rethink depending on the plans we had at the destination.

Rain, on the other hand, is usually a no go if we have high chances on arrival or departure. I hate packing up in the rain with a passion. Everything gets wet- stuff in the trunk, the bunks and mattresses, the dinette cushions, etc. If I had to deal with rain on a regular basis with a pup I would have sold it years ago and gotten a TT of some sort.

Maybe if I pared down the amount of gear I bring it would be better, but I enjoy having the increased amenities at my disposal.

Mike Up likes this.
  6. firepit

I hear ya...setting up in the heat is a gauranteed need for a shower when done..
    I set the camper up...turn on the ac and hit the showers if im in a park with showers.
    Then i return and set up the inside stuff and slowly get the outside stuff set up.

7. akriot

akriot Active Member

We go regardless of the heat forecast. We do adjust our activities. Hike or ride early or late and (pre COVID) would opt for a museum or antique store until it cooled off. Now? Read in the TT.

8. Clemens

Clemens New Member

As long I have a shaded spot for the popup.

9. JunkyBurrittos

JunkyBurrittos Active Member

It's interesting this question comes up, as I am technically on vacation at the beach right now, at least my camper is there, but for the second time during the vacation I'm paying for, I'm back home two hours away in the AC. Granted, this was sort of pre-negotiated by the teenagers who don't really love camping, one who wanted to be home for her birthday, but still unreal. I am semi-begrudgingly getting my stuff together to go back to vacation.

My AC broke basically the first day at an overnight at a friend's house (Yay Jimmy Rally!)... so before we even got to the beach. So even though I've got a hybrid with a nice AC unit, I'm back to my usual MO of all of my tenting years of just trying to survive. I've been severely dehydrated and pretty sure I had full-on heat stroke twice which I can't seem to recover from days later. Yay vacation! lol

To answer the question, no, obviously I roll with what the weather brings me, by the time you know what it's going to be or what is going to choose to malfunction on your camper it's too late to do anything about it anyhow. But better if you have contingency plans. Due to COVID, you can't just escape to a movie theater or shopping mall or anything to get a break from the heat. Also influenced by COVID, good luck getting anything fixed anytime this season if something does go wrong. I'm surviving with coolers of ice and fans. I think the heat wave is supposed to break now for a few days... even yesterday, although hot wasn't so darn gooey and soupy which is what really kills you.

Stay safe and keep camping!

10. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

When I was younger, weather meant very little in my decision to camp or not, but as I've gotten older, I must admit that weather has held a high position on my decision scale.

1380ken likes this.
  11. poppy65

poppy65 New Member

I dont worry about the weather. I take it as challenge to see how I can overcome whatever it or anything throws at me and still ba comfortable

12. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Back in our tent days we watched the forecast and decided as late as Thursday whether to go or not.
    More places take reservations six months and more ahead now, so we pick a weekend and book and hope for the best. It's alot easier to handle rain and heat in a popup than in a tent.

13. Floridagal

Floridagal New Member

we are in Florida. Camping here ends in May and does not start again until Late October. We did go in July once. Between the heat and the rain we spent the entire time in the camper with the AC on. Really wasn’t fun

BillyMc likes this.
  14. gardenheather

gardenheather Member

I totally empathize with you on the pet issue. We have 3 pets and their well-being is considered just as highly as our own. We have three cats, which people think you can just leave they don't care just make sure they have food, but that's not true. Our cats are as close to us as our dogs used to be. We can't take the two little ones with us and not take our old lady, but we can't take our old lady because it would be too hard on her. So we have to find someone to take care of them, even for a weekend trip. If it's too hot, we can't even take the little ones anyway. This is why I don't want any more pets after this. When your kids grow up and leave you think you have a measure of freedom and you find out that you really have more kids but they have fur on them. You still have to revolve your life around them. :D

Amybejo and firepit like this.
  15. firepit

We will always have 1 dog only from here on out...Until we get old enough that our dog may out live us.
    We have a plan in place for our dogs if something tragic was to happen to us.
    2 bigger dogs are a handful out camping.
    While we have 2 now...The old girls well being trumps my own wishes...And i am OK with that.

gardenheather likes this.
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I think I've spent about 1 week in my entire life with no pets. If that. When my last cat died, I had decided that I was going to stay catless until after the dogs died and I did some air travel for a while. Until then, the two dogs and bird would camp with me. When the dogs died, I'd just have the bird and he could stay with his aunt while I traveled.

The Cat Gods deemed my plan unacceptable. A year ago in May, an 8mth old Cat God Incognito walked up to my house and moved in. I accepted my fate and decided he would become a camping cat. In October, the Cat Gods looked down at me and decided I took their fate too easily, so they sent another Cat God Incognito to my house. He was 7 weeks old. I tried for two months to find him a home until I gave in.

So now I'm camping with two dogs, a bird and two cats. This year, I lost the bird after having to buy a brand new $500 cage for him. I couldn't bear to move the cage into the garage so I adopted another bird. Then two months later, I lost both dogs. I was miserable. I ended up adopting an adult shepherd.

The Cat Gods seem to be satisfied now. They have messed with my plans and reminded me just who is in charge of my life. I will never assume I'm in control again.

17. Lisa Busch

Lisa Busch New Member

About the only thing that causes us to change our plans is more than 50% of the time rainy/stormy and wet. A little rain here and there, no problem, but we don't do well staying inside the pop-up all the time, we don't have TV and all those bells and whistles, we go camping to be outdoors, not stuck inside.

Having done one weekend stuck under the canopies in warm constantly raining weather, bored to tears, we've pretty much decided that's not worth the money or time, either, even though it was warm...we can be comfy at home for that. We generally only do weekend camping, so if more than one day is a washout, it's not worth it.

Cold and wet is completely a no-go for us, also, but cold is fine, we are game, the pop up has heat and we stick an electric blanket on the bed to warm things up before we get in...campfires are all we need, and layers...we get out and hike, my hubby has no problem kayaking in colder weather, but that's pretty much a warm weather thing for me....golf, I'm looking at getting into that, and DH golfs year round down here in TN....

bobinfleet and gardenheather like this.
  18. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Im with you on the cold camping. I like having a camp fire if possible, but if it's 85+ degrees it's not much fun. I can always put more layers on.
    This past week while camping at the beach it was in the mid-upper 90's with the heat index at 110 for the last couple days. While my dog is just over a year old, it was too hot for her to go with us to the beach. We left her in the camper's air conditioning and she slept while we were gone, just like when we're at work.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    firepit likes this.
  19. Old ackpacker

Old ackpacker Member

Well, planning on a trip in early August. I expect “dog days” so we’re going to stay at a shady camp site and we’re going tubing on a river. The heat isn’t fun, but one must adapt plans to fit the weather. Playing in water fits the bill nicely. :)

20. gardenheather

gardenheather Member

This made me laugh and cry.

Steveo4090, Toedtoes and kcsa75 like this.