Camping Welcome Sign

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Laney A, May 10, 2017.

1. Laney A

Laney A My crew: Me, hubby and our 3 K9's.

We've been curious to know what products hold up well. We've seen slate, wood and flag material in use.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I made one out of Sunbrella, and it's still in great condition. I have several flags made out of (maybe) cotton) and nylon or polyester, none have worn out. I also made one out of metal, but the paint is chipping a bit and it's too heavy for the garden flag holders we have. I'm settling for the lighter flags. They are also a bit more adaptable for hanging. I change what I use, depending on the trip - on my last trip, I could not get the flat holder into the hard ground, even with the rubber mallet. So used my clothesline set-up.
    I haven't tried a wooden sign.

Laney A likes this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Our wood camping sign is 40 plus years old, my parents bought it shortly after they bought their brand new 1967 Aristocrat Lo-Liner ... It's been sanded, paint touched up and resealed once in its life...

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I bought a piece of wood at the hardware store, borrowed a router and cut out what I wanted it to say, plus finished the edges. I sprayed the letters with some leftover black spray paint to fill them. I used a palm sander to knock off the overspray. I got fancy and used a torch to burn the wood to bring out the grain. Finally, I coated it with some left over spar varnish. I guess the whole thing took about an hour. I reckon it will last decades like Snow's has.