camping while on dialysis.

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by necronomikon, Mar 4, 2012.

1. necronomikon

necronomikon New Member

New here, but I just picked up a fleetwood scorpion s1 which has a coleman pop up on a 28 ft flatbed trailer. I plan on trying to go to different offroad spots as money and time permit. I am on home peritoneal dialysis every night. I have been on dialysis for 14 months now, but wish to get out more. I got this trailer because it was in my financial range and had all the amenaties I need so that I am not required to stay in a hotel with electrical power for my dialysis. Multiple other problems from long term steroids and immunosupressives for 21 years. Anyone else in a similar situation that is on dialysis and wants to be out more?

2. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Welcome to the Portal.

Bravo on wanting to get out more despite your medical issues.

So, do you have a generator to run the dialysis machine or is it 12V? Just curious about the required equipment. My SIL is on dialysis and I know they have avoided various trips because they wouldn't be able to do the treatment.

3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

If you're camping without hook-ups, you definitely need a small genny. I fixed one up for my father, easy peasy. Hardest thing was the weight of the dialysis solutions. Still doable. Welcome from Oklahoma!

4. necronomikon

necronomikon New Member

yeah, i will be getting a generator for non hook-up sites. I'm looking to get a 4500-5500 unit to run a/c,dialysis, anything else at night. I was hesitant to travel when i first started dialysis, but when you do some good planning it can be very easy depending on the supply company. I am with fresenius and they are awesome. i drove to CA from GA in october and was gone for nearly a month. I called and had the company deliver 2 weeks worth of supplies to my aunts house where we stayed, this allowed us to carry less supplies with us (only 2 weeks, instead of 4). I also would mix manual exchange with machine for days we got to the hotel too late for me to start dialysis. It ended up working great. After my upcoming family reunion in july, I am thinking about going out of the country. The logistics for setting this trip will be a true test. I figure carry one weeks supply with us for the drive, have 3 weeks delivered to the cruise ship, go on the 2 weeks trip, then return on last week of supply (thats the idea now).

One thing i found is best, is when you travel and are DRIVING most/long distances, the best option is either do all manual exchanges in the car while you are in route during the daytime, or start at your normal time, but run 1-2 manuals until you get to destination, then change you machine set-up to finish. But yes, you are required to stay in a hotel every night, OR if you have a minivan or large van (or bigger), you could run an inverter from the 12v to run the machine (but this would be hard to maneuver and cramped). Thats my experience and thoughts so far. If i come across any new ideas, ill definitely pass em on.

5. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

That's a pretty big generator for a pup. I can run almost my entire house on that.

If you are looking at camping in established campgrounds, you likely won't be able to run the generator at night. Most campgrounds have hours that generators are allowed to be used.

6. necronomikon

necronomikon New Member

Really? even if there is no hook ups and a "medical necessity"? What would be a more reasonable size generator that will run a/c, my machine, plus maybe one or two other things? This is all new to me, I've always stayed in hotels/cabins before.

7. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

I don't know if a medical necessity would allow it to be run all night or not. I bet that your camping neighbors would really hate you in the morning. Sound travels much farther at night in a campground than in a town and most people don't want to listen to a generator while they are trying to enjoy the sounds of the forest.

As for size, some people are able to run their pup AC using a Honda 2000 watt inverter generator. But is it kind of hit or miss from what I've heard. But I would think a 3000 or 3500 watt generator would do the trick.

Personally, I'd camp with hook ups until you know more about the campgrounds that you camp in and the power requirements for your pup and equipment. No use running out to get a generator right now if you find that you can't use it when you need it.

Of course if you boondock, there are no rules against using a generator at night.

8. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

[quote author=fritz_monroe link=topic=55649.msg455040#msg455040 date=13310816

I am not on dialysis but I need electricity when I camp because I use an oxygen concentrator because of my lung disease. As much as I would love to camp with out hookups, I see it as being more trouble than it would be worth. Camping with me already requires much equipment and I don't want to add a generator to that list. I also think that I feel safer knowing that the campsite has the electricity needed to power all of my "needs". As Fritz says, maybe later, after you give this camping a try, then you may wish to play with using the generator to power your medical needs, but take it easy at first. Less stress and more enjoyment.

9. necronomikon

necronomikon New Member

I will definitely keep all that in mind. The generator is more of a safety net for me. I don't plan on going to many places that wouldn't have hook-ups. What is boondocking?

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Good for you to want to get out and camp, though it will take some planning.
    Boondocking (a.k.a. jack-camping, at-large, camping) is when you camp outside of an established campground. There are no amenities - potties, water, power, etc. In many places, the boondock sites are used often, others you are searching for one. One needs to check with the agency in charge of the area (BLM, Forest Service, etc.) to find out the regs and eligible areas.

Yes, most - if not all - campgrounds have quiet hours and generator hours. Usually generators are permitted for set times, such as 8-10 a.m., 6-8 p.m. I have seen some cgs which permit them any time outside of quiet hours, though some of them indicate the time should be limited. I have never seen a notation indicating exceptions to those hours. As fritz_monroe said, sound carries throughout a campground and generators can be highly disturbing, especially the louder or un-tuned ones.

11. Bonniy

Bonniy arizona bred and born

with medical needs, most campgrounds will let you us a genny, we have a genny that we take with us when we go camping and always tell the campground host that we need to run the genny all night because of needs, they usually put us where we can put the genny aways from everyone, we have a 2000 honda that runs my hubbys cpap for him and we have never had any problems with anyone saying anything about the noise that the genny produces, which is hardly none at all

12. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I would say this to anyone with any special medical needs: "What is your back-up plan if you lose utilities at home?" [:(] This should be your back up wherever you are. :) I'd prefer not to see you in my ER for uremic, respiratory or cardiac distress, if we can avoid it. Yes, I carry my medical bag with me when I camp, but it's even harder to provide definitive medical care in the "woods". Just my [2C]

13. Stanbiker

Stanbiker New Member

Can you go with manual exchanges when you are camping?

I was on hemo before my transplant. I used a Yamaha 2000 and did the treatment during the day do there was no issue with the generator noise. A/C is not really an issue here!