Camping with 15m old

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by ErinG, Oct 16, 2021.

1. ErinG

ErinG Member

Hey guys!! We've been out a few times with our 7yo and 10 yo but we have to limit trips to one night because we've had my mom watch our baby so we can go and get a feel for things a few times. We are dying to go for a long weekend but I worry how enjoyable it will be for the 15m old. He's not walking yet due to low muscle tone so I know I need to have a good spot for him to be down and crawl safely. I'm more concerned about sleep. He/We have never been cosleepers and aside from a week in a cabin at Disney world and random nights here and there at my mom's he's never slept away from home. He's used to blacked out room and sound machine. So how could I make this happen. Blacking out the entire pup just isn't gonna happen, not anytime soon atleast. So I was thinking about the blackout tents you can get for over a crib? Anyone tried these? Where do you put a pac n play. Our booth area looks too narrow for a pack n play but I've not tried it yet either. Just any help or advice would be great. I know it will be an adjustment. But I'd like to be as prepared as possible (mostly for MY own sanity).

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I think a pack and play will fit in the dinette area. If not just block it off. And anything else in there( electric or thermostat. Then throw in a mattress. They have battery powered noise machines, and that was 10 years ago, so you can go that route, just bring extra batteries. I wouldn't worry too much about the black out stuff just yet. That may depend on where you go. Close the curtains inside. Or add reflexdex to the windows. And i dont recomend anything over the crib. Get a co detecter and a smoke combo, and use it. Make sure the propane detecter works and is in date.

3. ErinG

ErinG Member

We removed the propane for that reason lol. I read too many issues with Monitors beeping and I'm just a worry wart .

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

With reflectix in the windows and popup gizmos over the bunkends it can get quite dark although not fully blacked out. I found a white noise app on my cell phone that I can set a timer for. So you can use that if you don't have hookups. The pack and play could fit in the dinnette area. As far as crawling perhaps you are able to find a grassy campsite somewhere, not too many I know of unfortunately. Most places I camp have rocks. Or you could buy one of those really large poly mats that should cushion some of those rocks for him. I would start him out on shorter trips until he gets the swing of things. Kids can adapt some. For me the hardest was keeping them warm enough. My little side kick absolutely hated sleeping bags.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

We went with a "baby Bjorn" travel crib/pack and play back when our 9 year old was that age. Unlike many, the bottom is in contact with the ground instead of raised on feet. We would set it up on the dinette and leave it up for the trip (eat outside)

Otherwise, there was no issue. Really not any different from at home especially if there is a store nearby "just in case"