Camping with 2 pack n plays?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by MeganMac1985, Apr 10, 2019.

1. MeganMac1985

MeganMac1985 New Member

I have a 3 year old and 6 month old twins. Has anyone ever put 2 pack n plays in their pup? We haven’t figured out the sleeping logistics of camping with the 5 of us while the twins are babies. Any suggestions?

2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I would put the 3 year old in 1 bunk and the twins in 1 pack n play. Only need one that way.

3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

How big is your camper? Maybe one pack and play and one bassinet. I also have twins with another child three years older but she is going to College next year.

4. MeganMac1985

MeganMac1985 New Member

It’s 14 feet... the boys will be 10 months when we first go, so I think they will be too big/moving way to much to stay in a bassinet. Maybe I put my 3 year old in a tent with hubby and sleep in the pop up with the twins haha!

5. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

I have a 3rd kid who is a year old and needs to be in a pack and play. I will be pulling the pup out either this weekend or next weekend and determining if I can fit a pack and play where the table goes.

If not they make smaller sized pack and plays, I will just have to decide if its worth buying one.

6. MeganMac1985

MeganMac1985 New Member

Yeah I’ve seen a picture of 2 pack and plays side by side in the bunk, but I’ve got to think they must have been the small style

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Might be easier to get some sort of foam for the asile way and use a baby gate. Just have to secure the draws and outlets if you have any there. Take the table outside, pad and baby gate and you have a pack and play, just make sure the seats are secured. Just an idea, im trying to figure out where to put one pack and play in a pop up...........

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Just throwing this out there for your 3 yo. When my niece was 3 we just put her on the dinnette table bed. It was much lower to the ground and closed in on 3 sides. We didn't bother putting a rail up. She did have a tendency to "wonder" at night and only once sort of fell off. Although she didn't even notice her head was on the floor but body on bed. She was still sleeping soundly. Even moved her back on the bed without her waking up. Must be nice to be able to sleep so soundly. I've seen a pack and play on a bunk end but not sure how easy that would be to access the babys. You can try and put the three yo on the bunk with you and put the pack and play on the collapsed table bed without the cushions. Im thinking the two babys in one pack and play should be ok for a short term.

9. 1380ken

I wouldn't put my twins in the same bed when they were young.

10. erich82

erich82 Active Member

I assume the pack n plays are for the twins? Never seen a 3 year old in one .

They sell travel pens that are much smaller. Probably could fit one on the floor and the other on the dinette bed, or put one in the slide out bed.

Put hubby or yourself with the 3 year old on the other end.

11. PUPDvr

PUPDvr New Member

We just got a used 2001 Coleman sedona. We also just had a baby 2 weeks ago and also have a "almost" 2 year old, so we are trying to figure out the 2 pnp thing as well. Since we are expecting to need at least 1 pnp for the next couple years we are toying with the idea of removing the kitchen table and benches all together. We will open it up this weekend to take measurements. We can add back a dining area after, but for now, proper naptime is a priority.

Adina*Moo likes this.
  12. 1380ken

We rented a condo in the Mountains until my kids were out of diapers. We were tent campers back then so if I had a camper we might of used it. We had fun in the condo. It was in the mountains and had a fire pit and a deck and grill. It also had two bathrooms and two bedrooms and a kitchen. Also a club house and pool. We paid about 110 a night.

13. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Out of curiosity, does your 2 old really need a pack and play? With 4 of ours, they stopped using them after about 10-12 months, because they dont really need them after that, and they just take up a lot of space. I think the norm is around 12-18 months, but I find 2 years is quite old for a pack n play.

They sell inflatable "gates", which go under the sheets and create a barrier between the bed and floor, if you're really worried about it, but a 2 year old is quite capable of sleeping on a regular bed.

Adina*Moo likes this.
  14. Pommom70

Pommom70 New Member

My granddaughter slept in a pack & play for her naps until she was four. I think 12 months is too young to be in a bed they can escape from. I wanted my kids to take naps & give me a breather.

Adina*Moo and MaeKay like this.
  15. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Adina*Moo likes this.
  16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Sometimes the cabinites and stuff helps secure the walls, put a pack in play where the dining table goes and use a baby gate and a matt . My 2 cents , worth just that , well maybe half that.

Adina*Moo and PUPDvr like this.
  17. erich82

erich82 Active Member

4?? Wow. I'm pretty sure there are no pack n plays on the market that have an age rating that goes that high. Unless that child has a disability, that is pretty ridiculous. Once they can start climbing out of them, they can actually become dangerous.

It really depends on the child for the full bed. Kids are ready adaptable, and if you get them used to a real bed at home, they won't have a problem once you go camping. My youngest (just turned 12 months) has slept in a real bed since birth and never in a crib. Although the bed is directly on the ground in the event she fell.

My 2 year old is starting to transition to a full bed from his crib, but has no problems sleeping in one. I'd never consider putting him in a pack n play though.

Adina*Moo likes this.
  18. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

What stroller are you using? If you have a city select I would suggest you buy two bassinets for it. Use the bassinets for night and great for trying to get them to sleep, just walk around the park.

It's twin mom club sale time in my area, they are great for equipment you need for a short time. Also look on Facebook marketplace for travel bassinets. Go Pods are also a great invention for camping with kids.

Good luck, I have camped with one four Month old but two is a different matter.

19. erich82

erich82 Active Member

I have a city select and those bassinets are only really good for newborns. They also aren't cheap ( they are over 100$/each, and require the 250$ seat frame to use), and aren't meant to sleep all night in. They are just meant to stroll in, when the child cannot be supported in the regular seat. It's not the type of sleeper you put your baby in without supervision (your kid on their knees can tip it or climb out).
    I would think that at 6 months, they've already outgrown them.

LucilleToo likes this.
  20. Pommom70

Pommom70 New Member

It belonged to my daughter in law, it is pretty large compared to others of its ilk. My granddaughter slept in a regular bed at three, but still fit in the portable, she couldn’t climb out of it. She loved her naps would sleep all afternoon.

My other daughter in law has a very small pack n play, smallest I’ve ever see. It would be nice for camping, but they wouldn’t fit it for very long.