Camping with a 10-12 month old.

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by SunCruiser, May 6, 2020.

1. SunCruiser

SunCruiser New Member

Hey everyone.

We will get setting out in our new to us 93' Rio Grande this summer with our now 9month old. We would like to avoid brining the pack and play as we like to pack light.

Has anyone found a way to close off the twin bunk of their popup so that it is safe for a little one? She is already walking but has not quite mastered the "go backwards to get down off of things" movement.

We would like to keep her in the bunk if possible so that we don't need to disturb her when coming in and out of the trailer after she is down for the night.

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

We set a playpen up on the dinette bunk for the granddaughter. It worked great. She was probably 7-8 months old at the time.

SunCruiser likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Bring the pack and play. I wouldn't just put her in the bunk end without doing a lot of modifications. That might be over cautious, but thats how i think. Eaither that or block off the floor area under the table. (assuming you have one).

SunCruiser likes this.
  4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I would bring a pack and play no matter what. Maybe two

SunCruiser likes this.
  5. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

The pack and play can be used both inside and out for young ones. Believe me, it is a Godsend for the parents when camping as they will get a little relaxation in also instead of being on constant alert with the child. It was wonderful for us to use and they do pack up quite small.

SunCruiser and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Bring the pack and play. We tent camped last year with a 12 month old. Having a familiar surface to sleep on helped tremendously at nap time and bedtime.

7. SunCruiser

SunCruiser New Member

I purchased some bed rails that fit perfectly across the twin bunk. Have the same height at her crib at home. We are going to do a driveway camp out tomorrow with naps through the day as well to see how it goes.

Thanks for the feed back on the pack and play. We may still bring it along but as of right now if this works I think we will leave it behind. We spend most of our days outside as it is now and I have never had to use one at home (we have a large yard) so I can't see us using it else where.

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Bring the pack and play. It's not that heavy and it's going to be the best and safest solution.

I did make one bunk on an older camper child safe, but it took a bit of work and the kids were a few years old, not infants. With one that young, take the mattress off the bunk and that will equal out to the weight of the pack and play. :smiley:

SunCruiser likes this.
  9. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

This is what we did with our son when he was an infant. We knocked the dinette down into a bed but left the cushions off. Then we set the pack n play there. Worked great for us.

Orchid and SunCruiser like this.
  10. SunCruiser

SunCruiser New Member

We did our campout and turns out you are all correct! To my surprise the pack and play fit perfectly on the twin bunk sideways. There was room at the top for me to stand in the bunk and put her in or sooth her if that was what was needed. I really didn't think the pack and play would fit up there and wanted to avoid using the "living space" as a sleeping room for our daughter.

We also put up the railings that I purchased and it blocks off the other half of the bunk as a great play area for if there is bad weather and we are cooped up in the camper.

Thanks again for the input. We can't wait for our first real outing in just 3 weeks!

11. Sjm9911

Glad it was a good time out!

SunCruiser likes this.
  12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

After finding my little side kicks legs dangling out from the bunkend when she was 2 One evening we decided the table was the safest place for her. I felt the canvas was so tight on the sides there is no way she can get through. Thank goodness it was just her legs and she slept right through it. At least the table bed was lower to the ground if she fell she wouldn’t get hurt too bad. Later on I added cushions on the floor as she moved around so much her head was always on the floor with her legs on the bed. We tried those bed rails, but the cushions were too light to hold them down. My side kick though moved around like a freight train at night And is such a hard sleeper she slept through all the times I got up to move her back to bed. The day she claimed she never moves at night and argued she wanted to go on the bunk I so wish I never moved her so she would realize how very wrong she was. I hardly slept a wink when I camped with her those first few years. When she was 5 I allowed her back on the bunk. Her body at least seemed to learn, I’m falling I better fix myself. No one can sleep with her or they would wake up with bloody noses and bruises. So my table was used a lot more then I thought it would if I had visitors. She’s 15 now, how the time has flown.

13. Ductape

Glad it worked out for you. We used to be really concerned about bothering other campers when our son would cry, but they were very understanding. Obviously, many had been through that same stage with their kids.

SunCruiser likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Before kids: "Will they shut that kid up"
    After Kids: "Those poor parents. I wonder if they need some beer"

15. Sjm9911

With a name like ductape i figure you would have the crying thing covered[:D]

Ductape, SunCruiser and JimmyM like this.
  16. Ductape

There is a reason I was given that name...….. [:D]

JimmyM likes this.