Camping with a 18 month old

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by rerspain, Mar 21, 2017.

1. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

We have been camping with our son before when he was younger and were able to use his pack and play. Now he has out grown his travel pack and play and his big one is too big for the camper. We want to build a rail or bars for the twin bed over the little dinette table. Can you show me pictures of what you have done for a toddler in your camper. We are looking for different ideas before our first camping trip this year for mothers day. I have attached our floor plan. Thank you!
    Palomino.JPG

2. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

There are a couple ideas floating around on this site. You could buy a bedrail that slips under the cushion. You could try a Peapod Plus tent. I've also heard of people using pool noodles to build a barrier to prevent them from rolling off the beds. Personally, we've had luck sleeping on the box side while putting our kids on the tent side of the beds.

You can find discussions on toddler sleeping arrangements using the search feature. Sorry I can't copy/paste links to those right now.

rerspain likes this.
  3. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

We used the same bed rail that our kids had on their beds. It had two "legs" that slid under the mattress and it was mesh.

rerspain likes this.
  4. oppencd

oppencd New Member

We have a setup like yours, and when my daughter was 18 months, we left the second table at home and put the pack and play on the floor in the dinette, which with the size of a standard pack and play just fit. I think I had to put it in then pop out the base of the pack and play to get it to fit.

Then, for a few years when the kids were a little older, we put them where your front bunk is and slept on the U shaped fold out couch. That way if they rolled out it was a short drop down on top of us, or more likely, onto the cushions. I found if we put them in the bunk feet first, they tended to roll left and right, but not out of the bed.

rerspain likes this.
  5. OttFamily

OttFamily New Member

We've been camping with our little one since he could crawl. I wish I had a picture, but we too used the bedrail. Bought it at Wal*Mart for about $20. Here is one like it. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Regalo-Guardian-Swing-Down-Bedrail/20691143 . It's just a mesh panel with two metal poles made to keep toddlers from rolling out of bed. It secures with a metal wheel that slides down against the wall and attaches to a cord that holds the panel in place. It fit just fine on the dinette bed. I'm also attaching a few other photos I found. We used a 10x10 screen room for a playroom. A booster chair worked well for the high chair, and, of course, the pack-n-play came in handy outside.
    28665_112539565451480_1043453_n.jpg 28665_112545035450933_1860380_n.jpg 30845_119715544733882_1367706_n.jpg

Redbird934 and rerspain like this.
  6. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

Thank you for the responses

7. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

After my son outgrew his pack and play we went with a PeaPod Plus for all travel and it worked great. When he outgrew that last year I did like others suggested and just had him sleep on the tent side of the same bunk as me. He is sleeping much better now at home, so I'm not sure what I'll do for him when camping. I may move him to the back bunk and go with some sort of rail or maybe just put him sideways in bed.

rerspain likes this.
  8. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

Awesome thanks. It looks like good solution.

9. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

I liked it my wife doesn't. I was overruled.

10. nhsummitmommy

nhsummitmommy New Member

Pool noodles under a fitted sheet. They act as bumpers for rolling, but won't contain an adventurous, not ready to sleep toddler.

SkyandErin likes this.
  11. odin1701

odin1701 New Member

12. DesertRed

DesertRed Member

#iluvoutdoors likes this.
  13. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

We did this for years. My 13 year-old still wants the rail when we camp....

14. RoseTheJinx

RoseTheJinx New Member

I have no pictures. Sorry. Before this year, it was a tent with little ones. They normally end up in bed with me or in bed with a sibling. ;-) Nap time... well, they run until they drop or they end up falling asleep pretty easily at night. Then again, most of mine no longer took naps at 18 months. :-( I feel lucky that my 2 year old still takes one at about 1pm every day.

Although, if you are afraid of LO falling out of bed, try looking on Craigslist for one of the toddler bed guards or a normal sized bed guard.

15. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

We bought a toldder rail for the twin bed. I know he is going to try to climb out as soon as we put him in it. But we will tried to make him very tired. We go camping Thurday. It will be interesting.