Camping with a cat....anyone do it...advice.

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by jim1999, Jun 21, 2009.

1. cyclesteve

cyclesteve Member

Our cat loves to go camping. She prefers the mountains over the beaches. We are leaving tomorrow to take her to Stone Mt. Ga. She was six weeks old when we took her for the first time.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561635735CWxCcc

2. Crazycoleman

Crazycoleman It is so much better when you wake up IN the pup!

My best friend's girlfriend had a cat as a child that she was attached firmly to. Her parents said one time when she was younger, she insisted on taking the kitty. So they just bought a tether like for a dog, and put the cat on it. Said it seemed to work out somewhat, but I think the cat spent most of the time they were in the camper inside with them.

ROb

3. Hot Cocoa

Hot Cocoa New Member

As I'm writing this post, I am sitting in my pup with my two fur balls [CAT] [CAT] We are currently in Santa Fe, NM. And are making our way back home after a full week camping, with our 11yr old,and 12 yr old cats. We walk them on their leashes, and we have their scratch post in the pup with us. The only time we have an issue with them, is because we don't have A/C. We have to make sure the temps are cool enough, I worry about them. We left them all day yesterday when we took the Durango/Silverton Railroad, and they were fine. We don't have anyone we can trust enough to leave them with, and no one will care for them like us.

4. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

You know... cats are welcome (and encouraged!) at the COLORADO RALLY 2010!

Stay tuned...

Kim

PS: I have a cat. She stays home... I want to bring her... but there's so much wildlife in TAYLOR PARK, that I'd be too worried about her safety. Sue Ellen is a GREAT cat, but loves home-life. We live in the mountains of Colorado... she gets plenty of excitement here!

Kim

5. andleton

andleton "Happy Campers"

[​IMG]

This is my PJ.. He is such a sweet cat. I am afraid to take him camping because I am afraid that he will get out of the camper and be gone. He is a special cat. My hubby found him about a month after my Dad passed away. My dog and him get along so good. I just wanted to share with you all pictures of my babies...

Angie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bearikens

Bearikens Starlight and firelight ... lighting my way

Quote from: cheyo on August 18, 2009, 03:59:48 pm

EXCERPTS FROM A DOG'S DIARY:

EXCERPTS FROM A CAT'S DIARY:
    Day 183

OMG is that funny ! LMAO ! My DW and I had not heard this and are still laughing about it ! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] Yes, we have 3 cats and have taken only one of them camping. Our largest is Maine Coon and loves to rip up tents (no way is he setting foot in the PUP and I think that he was the basis for the cat diary). The one cat that we did take in the PUP had 2 escape attempts over the course of a week and she was caught (by me) within a few seconds of the attempt.

Oh, by the way, have you heard this one..."Cat, the other white meat" [LOL]

7. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

That cat & dog look really content, our cat would not go with us she does'nt like being in the pup at all

8. Mountainbikecop

Mountainbikecop Death Smiles At Everyone -- Marines Smile Back"

The dog goes and the cat stays, someone has to watch the house. It's sad to have a 12 lb dog and a 18 lb cat.

9. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

My Mom insisted on taking her cat with us on a trip I did out of the kindness of my heart to take her camping. The litter box was under the dining table, the cat used it, during dinner [:(O] It also got out, but didn't run very far off. I sat [}:)] while my mother tried to, and eventually caught the cat. No more cats on camping trips [{:)] Not to mention the mess she had in the cat carrier from the trip to get to the camping area which is an 8 hour drive total and 80 miles from civilization, the last 2.5 hours being logging roads.

10. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

Quote from: cheyo on August 18, 2009, 03:59:48 pm

EXCERPTS FROM A DOG'S DIARY:

EXCERPTS FROM A CAT'S DIARY:
    Day 183

That was hysterical! Thank you!
    [LOL]

11. BuddyBear

BuddyBear Prescott Valley, AZ.

Our little kitty found us at a campground a few years ago, after spending three days with us at the campsite DD and DW had dicided she was comming home with us.
    One happy family eversense.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

KC (Kitty Camper) has been joining me on camping trips for a few years now. She's a diabetic and needs a shot once a day, so she's a reluctant camper. She stays in the camper all the time because the little devil can get out of her harness faster then Houdini.

13. outdoorsnga

outdoorsnga Marietta, Georgia USA

we are harness breaking our cat Bella, so we can take on walks....but we are afraid she will get out and up a tree if we take her camping....so she will continue to stay and guard the house while we are out camping....we have someone come by and check, feed and clean her litter when we are gone over 3 days...
    not sure if she could sleep in a camper...she is use to a king size bed and comforter...

14. Bob_66

Bob_66 New Member

I had a cat that loved camping but then again he loved riding in the car. It can be done but take a special cat to do it.

15. wannabeme8403

wannabeme8403 New Member

I have two cockatiels and they just LOVE the camper!! But I haven't been brave enough to take the cat ... She is scared to death of the birds. Although she and the dog would get along just fine, I worry about fur flying when the birds decide to pick on the cat. Hilarious posts here, though!!

[CP]

16. andleton

andleton "Happy Campers"

Thank you for posting this picture.. Trying to talk the DH into taking our cat along....

Angie

17. andleton

andleton "Happy Campers"

Well, we took the cat on his 1st camping trip... It was so wonderful. He loved every moment. Looks as if he will be getting to go more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mspontiac

mspontiac Member

Awwwwwwwwww so cute!! I want to take my kitty so badly, but I'm terrified I'll lose him somehow. Plus our camper is the only fur-free environment we have. [:D] How do you handle the litter box? I'm concerned about the smell permeating the canvas and beds of the pop up. [?:~{]

19. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

They poop, you clean. [CAT]

20. andleton

andleton "Happy Campers"

This was a try to see what he will do trip.. The litter box this go was a box with a trash bag. But we are going to get him a camper litter box. We have the front storage on our pup so we are going to block it off to one area and put the box there. Then of course clean it everyday.. Our cat loves to be with us. He doesn't like being alone so I believe this is why he did so well... I am just excited about being able to take him and not worry about anyone having to watch him...