Camping with a TV is still camping... right?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by michaeliack, May 2, 2011.

1. michaeliack

michaeliack Nights camped in 2011- 6

[​IMG]

Kids love watching a moving when the sun goes down.

2. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Sure it is.

We bring along a laptop and DVD movies with us so that at night the kids can watch a movie, or if it's raining outside we will make some popcorn in the microwave and all watch a movie.

Wait........... camping with a microwave is still camping... right ?

[:D] [;)]

3. Camping Fever

Camping Fever New Member

There has been a lot of debate on that topic. Me personally, I go camping to get away from technology. Some bring their satellite system.

Do what is right for your family. Do what you can to get those little ones out into nature. Kids today (I sound so old) are so connected..anything you can do to disconnect them even for a little while is worth it.

The summer I remember the most when I was a kid was the one where our TV was broken and my dad refused to fix it. We spent the summer playing outside.

Look at me..I turned out OK...o_O

4. br9

br9 Member

You bet.

5. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

LOL [LOL] [LOL]

6. Manper

Manper New Member

we have a portable dvd player for our boys as they like to watch a movie to wind down after a long day of running, hiking, walking etc...

7. wardco

wardco New Member

In this forum TV usually means "Tow Vehicle", so I would say that camping with a TV is without a doubt still camping..... :)

8. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New Member

We take a laptop with us. The kids can watch movies on it but only after dark when they are winding down from a day outside. They know the only time they can watch movies is after dark. I get a fire going and they roast a few marshmallows then they are ready to go inside. Even when we camped in a tent, they did not want to be outside too long at night.

9. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

If camping with a television works for you, then it's camping. I'm sure the camping police will not arrest you and sent you off to boondocking wilderness rehabilitation. It's all good.
    MR

10. cma7777

cma7777 Member

The last time I went tent camping I took the portable sat. dish. The gentleman on the site next to us quickly came over and wanted me to help him locate a signal for his dish. His camper was one of the large very expensive ones.

11. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

x2 for us. This is our normal routine. After the kids go in to wind down for the night it becomes time for the adults to socialize around the campfire.

12. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I will try to keep an open mind. :)

13. GetOutSide

GetOutSide Let's go get lost...

Sure, sure, we're all nice folks on here and tolerant of others opinions (one of the things I like about this site). But I watch folks park their RV's and set up their satellite dishes, and then go inside. And stay inside. So many of em hardly come out. I just don't get it. And I still bring the laptop and DVD's for my 3 year old for 'emergencies' - there are times when nothing else will work. So, I say, bring the TV, but get out side too! [:D]

14. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

whooooo.....whooooooo......eeeee.....eeeee.....eeeee (w/lights flashing). Sir...this is the camp police.....please step away from the remote and put your hands where I can see them. You are in violation of camping code CC10453....no television in the woods....

Just kidding [:D] . I think everyone has there own idea of what camping is and what it means to them and what makes it enjoyable. I have some friends that are avid backpackers and do not even consider my boondocking to be "real camping." I have yet other friends who will not camp with DW and I unless we're at least in a developed CG.

A television for me would never work because I'm always off some forest road somewhere in the boonies so I wouldn't have the power supply (don't like generators), plus I would just feel weird about it. I used to be very anti taking anything electronic out camping, but the more I've thought about it over the years....everything evolves. The only reason my parents didn't bring that kind of entertainment out for me when I was younger was because it didn't exist. My DS on the other hand will probably be practically jacked into a mainframe when he gets a little older. He's only 1 year old and I swear he can work my smart phone better than I can.

15. mike1wade

mike1wade Want to Dark Side

What ever makes camping enjoyable for you and your family is ALL that matters,,microwaves, tvs, radios , or just open pit fire cooking. Try them all and do what you like,,,

16. bobhcs

bobhcs Colorado Springs

Funny pic!

17. redfragglerocker

redfragglerocker Jen & Mike, Andrew (8) and Justin (5)

Better containment through entertainment...

18. TheShulaShack

TheShulaShack New Member

We have an unspoken rule about the tv..it only seems to come out when it means missing a game, whether basketball or football (especially)..We set it up on our camp kitchen outside (pending weather) and have it down not to disturb others. We usually camp in a group and the guys always gravitate towards it. We have met a lot of fun people this way =) Who cares? It makes them happy and we are outside relaxing. Win-win I say....

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

For me, television and camping do not mix.

20. Pete

Pete Member

We normally carry movies and watch them as a family during the hottest part of the day or when we wind down at night. I try to take what ever it takes so everyone enjoys the trip. On a side note the satellite is ready for the college football season, but don't use it unless we're out when the Texas Tech Red Raiders play.