Camping with a TV is still camping... right?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by michaeliack, May 2, 2011.

1. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

We prefer XM Radio. Love having tunes and ball games on radio while camping.

2. stefbauer

stefbauer New Member

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] I read the subject... was trying to figure out why we would be asking about camping with a tow vehicle. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] Thought, OF COURSE I take my TV camping, how else would I get there?!?!

OK I am stupid... but it struck me as funny.

3. FC

FC Central Florida

I second the XM radio. However, if I had kids that most likley would not do the trick.

4. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

"Roughing it" is only having a black and white TV.

5. gusbell

gusbell New Member

Nobody loves their TV more than I do. I have the HD 50" plasma at home, DVR everything I miss on the weekends or during the week and usually end up watching it at some point over the following week. But to me (Just my opinion) TV is a distraction from what I camp for. I camp to spend time with my friends and family in nature. I love a radio turned on low with some light music or a ball game as it takes me back to my youth. I know many campers with youngsters love them (TV's) as a babysitter, especially at night prior to bed or when the "I'm Bored" Chorus sings. To me, that's an opportunity to take a walk in the woods, gather some firewood for the evening fire and maybe discover a bug, see a deer, turtle or some other wildlife or find an activity to do together to build those memories many of us that camped as children had.

To me, it's a definite not allowed in our camping rig but everyone is free to make their own decision without judgement by me. I just think it's a lost opportunity. [CP]

6. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Yup.....you'de never catch me with a t.v. while camping, but I do like my tunes. I'm usually tuned to Radio Margaritaville.....love it when I'm camping and Jimmy is playing a live 3 hour concert. A couple margarittas and a campfire....cheeseburgers on the grill......man I can't wait until my first trip! MM Day weekend can't get here soon enough.

7. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

When we were kids:

Mom (yelling outside daily): Kids, time for dinner!!

Now of days:

Mom (yelling into kids rooms): Kids, time to turn off the games/TV, dinner is ready!

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

8. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

Before everyone (not just gusbell) passes judgement on my camping style some explanation is needed. In June of 2007 I was involved in a car accident while camping at French Creek State Park in PA. Since that time I have been in hospital 5 different times and now have lost all my toes on booth feet. I can no longer walk any distance. My wife has had both knees replaced and cannot walk any distance either. We have not let this curtail our camping trips but it has resulted in a definite change to our "style" of camping. Prior to this we were avid nature hikers. One year we tried bikes but with no toes you cannot pedal a bike (nor climb ladders as I found out the hard way).

I am not looking for any sympathy but just saying that there are reasons for everyone doing their own thing while camping and many times changes are required due to circumstances beyond their control. At least we are still getting out into the great outdoors.

9. BirdLand

BirdLand New Member

I agree wholeheartedly with those who say that camping is whatever you choose to make it; what matters is that it makes you happy and doesn't disturb others.

I personally don't watch much television; the series that I really enjoy I record and watch when I'm at my stationary home. As far as music, I listen while in the car (first reason, I'm a birdwatching fanatic and music might obscure a bird call and second, I have serious hearing loss in the higher frequencies (I think from many years playing violin, DH (bassist) has lower-frequency loss, we make a great pair LOL); when I'm around others, music is often inadvertently in competition with their voices). We have to choose between conversing with our boys and music; we choose talking to the boys (though, as a couple, any excuse to get close enough to shout in one's ear without the children saying "EWWWWW" is welcome LOL)!

As far as sports games, I love baseball and hockey; if there's a 'critical' game on that we can't get on regular radio, we sit in our vehicles to get updates on the XM satellite (a separate subject altogether).

The post by Retired Alex sums it up well; you don't know the circumstances that someone is laboring under.

We too used to be vigorous hikers, until DH got an ACL tear in addition to back problems. We had a rather strict criteria as to what we thought was "real" camping and what wasn't; we changed our outlook after this humbling experience.

Another humbling experience was having children. Both boys had 'night terrors' (a hysterically screaming child is always disturbing to fellow campers and I totally sympathize); the youngest had a debilitating fear of thunderstorms till he was about 10 or so. At the time, we were tent campers; a camper - PUP or otherwise - wouldn't have soothed our upset sons with the night terrors; our youngest with the t-storm fear was hard to keep to a low volume. Nobody wants to be wakened by screaming and crying children.

What helped calm these fears about storms was technology; many might think that such technology doesn't constitute 'real' camping. I beg to differ. No, we do not watch television (as we record our series for a special treat in our 'stationary home'), but we use the internet capability of our cell phones to get the latest weather forecasts.

But, so what if we did watch television while camping? On our first 2011 camping weekend, it wasn't pleasant to sit outside. DH and I were fine with the boys relaxing in the PUP while we sat outside (a couple has to make the best of their opportunities to talk).

So what if I personally feel that staying inside lounging on the bunks playing backgammon or surfing the web via phone isn't 'real' camping? Maybe to DH & I, the benefits of making them sit outside in the cold salt spray (unpleasant, unless you're DH & I desperate for a few moments together) are less than letting them sit inside, warm and dry, and laughing amongst themselves, even though they are using their phones to play backgammon or chat with their friends. Do I want my boys to remember a night socializing in the PUP w/o parents and having laughs, or do I want them to remember a night being forced to sit outside in the cold (and therefore be cranky and unsociable), just for 'camping's' sake?

At one time, I envisioned my camping experience as being devoid of technology; that was what I thought camping should be. I've come to realize that I'm wrong.

Don't feel bad for doing something that others judge as 'wrong'; it all comes down to doing whatever makes your family happy and, in a campground setting, this must be combined with what makes your neighbors happy.

Camping is a family thing; if you and your family are having a great time and not disturbing others, don't worry about how others will judge. By the same token, easier said than done, I know firsthand. Best of luck!

10. Bonniy

Bonniy arizona bred and born

To each his own. As others have said, it really depends on the person camping and his limitations, personally, we do bring a TV and satalite setup. Because of health issues my hubby is happier with having the TV to enjoy while camping. for me, I always camped without a TV before we were married, but have come to enjoy the TV also, and we do bring a laptop to use for games inside the pup. When we go into town, he likes to stop where there is free internet access and hop on the laptop and surf for a little while, we usually camp for a week or more, and we also have a cell phone, incase we need to be found or in case of emergencys. so yes, technology does come with us camping.

11. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

To each their own. We do not camp with a TV and not very often with a radio.

12. gusbell

gusbell New Member

Retired Alex (and all in favor of having a TV), as I said in my post, please don't think I'm passing judgement on you. Every single one of us is different and has different situations that they must deal with. I've had back and neck surgery and am thinking about using a drill to raise and lower my roof and stabilizers. To some, that may seem lazy. To me, it's a matter of having the day of setup and teardown be painfree.

I was only expressing MY opinion on why I don't take a TV in our camper. Because to me, camping is about doing things with my friends and family that we don't do while we are home enough. Take a hike, do a project together, play a board game, whatever activity we find that unplugs us from the electronic activities many of us find taking up too much of our spare time. That fits my situation. It doesn't sound like it fits yours. I only put it out there for others to consider when making up their mind on what they want to accomplish when camping. I admire that you still find a way to enjoy the great outdoors with the challenges you face. If I offended you (or anyone else) please accept my apoligy as it was not my intention.

13. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

Not offended at all, I'm pretty thick skinned. I just wanted to point out that there are various reasons why people do things as they do. What suits one person may not suit another.

It would be a very dull world if we were all the same and did things all in the same manner.

14. gusbell

gusbell New Member

Great. And I agree, different strokes for different folks.

Reminds me of an old saying:

Each of us is unique, just like everyone else [:D]

15. jmorris

jmorris New Member

Honestly we would not survive without a TV when we camp ....BECAUSE of a 1yr old and a 2yr old.......It is great to be able to bring them inside to cool off a little bit and be able to pop in a DVD. Especially before naptime/bedtime. Yeah we could probally do it without a TV.... but moderation doesn't hurt. But for me personally to have a TV while camping is pointless..... I would hope when the kids get older we will not have the need for the TV anymore.....

16. Clueless

Clueless I use to have a handle on life but it broke.

To answer the OP's question I would say yes, it is still camping. We just got back from our maiden voyage in our NTU pup and this was the first time we have been camping in about 15 years as a family. We took our 8 yo granddaughter and packed a very heavy old fashion TV/VCR combo thing that's been setting around collecting dust. The DW and I had always tent camped before this so the luxury of running water, a frig, and a coffee maker had use both in amazement. Now picture the look on our faces when we turned the TV/VCR on for our granddaughter to watch as she was going to sleep. It felt weird as hell but I can tell you this, I'm buying a laptop with a DVD player in the near future because that old boat anchor was so nice but too bulky to use and pack. As others have said, we only used it at bed time and spent the rest of our time outside hiking or fishing or just plain camping.

The thing I can't understand is how or why perfectly healthy people with kids go camping only to set inside the big TT and watch TV all the time all day long. We had some folks next to us this weekend and they never came outside once to just set around or eat or have a camp fire. If they weren't gone someplace in their truck they were inside the entire weekend. And they had a nice boat setting in the water right at their site too! That to me is NOT camping at all.

17. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

To me, no, it's not camping. And bring one "for the kids" is perhaps even worse. Everyone, and kids especially, could benefit from less television, and a camping trip is a great opportunity. A chance to learn stargazing, or hear campfire stories, to play charades, go for a snipe hunt, or experience the wonders of nature.

We carry an iPad but use it for making reservations, looking up stuff about attractions, or reading books late at night. We watch very little tv and wouldn't think of bringing one along. We have too much fun CAMPING.

18. jmorris

jmorris New Member

Have you camped in the middle of july 100F + with a 1yr old and 2yr old? Trying to get them to wind down is near impossible without a TV. Home is different for them, but you get them camping and wound up... naptime/bedtime is a nightmare........i understand what your are talking about but their are those who's children are not at that age yet and others who are handicapped. If you want to get technical.... none of us who own a PUP/RV are "really camping"

19. NeedtoRoam

NeedtoRoam Colorfull Colorado

Camping is what you want it to be. I would not leave home without the flat screen that's attached to the roof brace (fold up when roof comes down) and the satellite dish. It's just another form of entertainment. We like to catch the news and weather and you never know what the weather is going to do here in Colorado. All our kids are grown and gone it's just the 2 of us and after 41 years of marrage we know what game to play [:D]. I'll take what ever I think I will enjoy and...............I'll still be camping.

I spent 30 years going to mountain men rendezvous where everything visible to the public had to be period correct (pre-1840), living in a tipi and only having a open fire to cook over, now that's also called camping!

20. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We do not have a TV, but we do bring the laptop to watch a movie sometimes. Are we still camping, sure we are!! It's nice to just sit back and veg out, unwind or just simply chill out!! When we go camping with friends we have a movie night outside under the awning. We make popcorn over the campfire, sit back and enjoy!!