Camping with a TV is still camping... right?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by michaeliack, May 2, 2011.

1. jasf

jasf New Member

Glad I searched before asking. Satellite radio has been a staple for us even when we were tenting DW & I both have internet phones so the technology is already with us. Will be just my self & 2 DDs for a night before the DW can arrive on our next trip. Was thinking about bringing a TV along for after the kids go to bed. Sitting around the fire alone is fun for only so long. I repeatedly keep tossing the idea back & forth.

2. michaeliack

michaeliack Nights camped in 2011- 6

Great insights... bottom line seems to be each to his/her own. The guy on "Man vs. Wild" might say anything beyond a backpack and hiking boots is were he draws the line.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I do use a tv, went so far as to roof mounting a road trip dish,,never miss a race again

4. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Would he say that before or after he checks into the hotel at night? LOL
    His show is staged and he does not sleep outdoors when making his show.

5. kozmos

kozmos New Member

Our idea is to get away from all the electronic stuff we're exposed to while at home....however I do expect boredom to set in at some point of a 5 day outing so we will be bringing a laptop to play a movie or two, probably at night, or in the event of inclement weather. There is nothing else we can't go without for that time period that can't wait until we get back home.

6. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I have a buddy that I used to backpack with a lot (I don't pack anymore) who has that exact outlook. Anything beyond the pack and what's inside, and his boots is not camping. We've tried to get him to camp with us on many occasions and he has only once. We boondock in the NF...no hookups....no toilettes....no picnic tables....no anything but what you bring with you. He calls it "girly camping". "might as well be at the ritz he says" [LOL] .

Now that I'm out of the tent and in a p'up, he's really giving me grief [LOL]

7. bearair

bearair New Member

Yesterday my 10 year old Daughter and I stopped by the local camper dealer. Just to look and dream. Well after looking at about 3 different hard sides she commented "Why does any one need a TV when they are camping, who wants to spend time indoors?" I just gave her a High-Five. We then walked over to look at the current PUP's instead.