Camping with a Wheelchair

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by tantsits, Aug 21, 2008.

1. robynbanks

robynbanks New Member

My son has CP and is 11 yoa, we took him camping for the first time last labor day to the races, he can get around in the popup but we raised money to get him a action track chair which is a ATV wheelchair that has tracks instead of wheels to get him around on dirt or mud, its electric so we just plug it up in the generator but have is chained to our truck. the site is www.actiontrackchair.com if you want to check it out

2. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

robynbanks, those are wonderful. I saw a teen with one of those at a recent festival. I have a great scooter that gets me most places outside that I wish to go but it has limits as far as incline and huge roots and such. This teen had no problems with any of the terrian, What a great thing for your young man to have, he can be as free as others his age. Thank God for that.

3. robynbanks

robynbanks New Member

My son is 11 and has CP can walk alittle assited but not alone. we are avid outdoors, love to camp at the river and hunt. We held fund raisers to get him a Action Track chair, its a all terain wheelchair, it has tracks instead of wheels so it goes anywhere you want to go, mud, water, snow or sand with no porblem. www.actiontrackchair.com if you would like pics email me , [email protected]

4. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

We just booked Lake in wood campground in Lancaster PA (Navon PA).

Unfortunately the PUP is staing behind as it has no bathroom and my handicapped wife (MS and Dimentia) needs one with her, especially in the mornings.

This place is mostly paved as opposed to gravel. We have psudocamped for a few years (renting cabins and cottages in rv parks) and can manage.

We bring her powered chair and portable ramp and she has a good time. The kids scatter (now adults), she does arts and crafts, bingo and other activities and I get to burn naphtha, propane, charcoal and wood so we all have a good time

Good Luck
    Jerry in MA

5. robynbanks

robynbanks New Member

My son has CP also and he can get around the pop up but outside he uses his Track chair. Nothing slows him down in that thing, mudd, sand or water never got stuck.
    [​IMG]

6. presyoung

presyoung New Member

Thanks for all the posts y'all. I grew up hunting, hiking, horseback riding and camping in every spare moment I had. My two daughters have been going with us since they were a few months old. My son was born with hypotonia and is now almost 2. He isn't anywhere near walking and once he is his therapists say he will tire very quickly. We decided that he should get the same opportunities as the other kids so we took him to the ozarks for 5 days last month and he loved it. We have another 5 day trip planned for August to a TN state park. They have a lot to do that is accessible with our offroad stroller and backpack carrier. I pray that he won't need a wheelchair, the therapists all say he will. This forum has given me lots of encouragement to push the "handicap accessible" limits. Thanks for posting everyone.

7. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

as someone who is getting over a nasty little fall and had to be in a wheel chair for over a month and a half I kind of know what some of you are going trough. all I can say is GOD BLESS all of you.
    yes take them camping. the thing I missed while I was in the chair was being able to camp in a pop up. my DW is not very big and defently not strong but as soon as I got on crutches we went camping.. she is a real trooper. all the stuff she did to help us go was as an angel. take them and don't worry how much effort it takes cause you will love those memories forever. I know I love my wife for her sacrifice. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

8. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

DH has limited mobility, and walks with a cane. Due to pain, cannot walk more than short distances at a time. This makes it difficult when trying to book a campground. DH prefers private campgrounds with a pool or at least a beach as swimming is the only exercise that he can do. Since buying our PUP, I have to make sure that if it is a lake, it can't have hilly access to the shoreline. Last year, we stayed at a resort that had a huge hill down to the lake, but we were assured that anytime we wanted, they would take him down with a golf cart. Well, guess what, no one was available the few times we inquired about going down to the lake.

We stayed over 4th of July, at a county regional park. There were 3 camping circles, with handicapped accessible bathrooms/showerrooms in the middle of each circle, but they all were down in a ravine, with not motorized vehicle (car) access. There was no way that DH could use the bathroom or shower at this park. The draw of this park was a waterpark. However, after paying admission we came to find that there was no handicapped access to the pools. Even though they stated that your admission in non-refundable, I did get our money back, after talking to the manager about their lack of handicapped accessibility.

9. kentuckyrascal

kentuckyrascal Member

I have limit mobility and use a walker and a scooter sometime while camping. Take him with you whatever way he can go and he will enjoy it. Usually the handicapped are paved and helps getting around. Only problem I see you might have is when he may need the bathroom or shower.

10. rfd21170

rfd21170 New Member

Ok, here we go- I have MS and it has taken it's toll on my legs. They tire really quick and I can only walk short distances. Have a cane I use just about all the time and a wheelchair that I use as little as I can. (Pride) been camping a looong time and just went this past weekend (with the chair) and had a wonderful time. I'd say take whatever is necessary so all of you have a good time. Most state parks are are very acomidating to the handicapped ( there I said it ) and the staff are great. I have always loved camping and will continue to go. When they say acessable and are really not don't be afraid to point it out but do your homework. It may not be just right for you but do meet the guidelines so be polite about it and people are generally kind. Just don't abuse it as I've seen people do.

11. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Good for you. We have rallied to get a wheelchair out on the Beach [8D]