Camping with an infant (8.5 months old) too soon?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by LilPopup, Dec 8, 2010.

1. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

The only issue we have with our toddler is naps. It's too bright in the camper and he has too much fun playing in the bunk end. We're going to try with our youngest this summer who will be 6 months at that time, but she sleeps very well through the night so far unless she's hungry.

2. jbrady

jbrady New Member

We took our baby out for her first camping trip at 6 weeks. We all had a blast, and she slept for most of it. We set up her playpen in the tent, and moved her outside for a little while. She's been several times since then, and she does very well. She'll be two in May.

3. 14erfam

14erfam Member

We actually think its easier to camp with an infant as opposed to a toddler or even a child. They are always contained somehow (carrier, etc) or being held, so they can't ever get really dirty. They don't move around much. They only need to eat formula or milk- so no packing of extra food. And our experience has been the fresh air along with the sounds of nature makes them sleep very well at night.

If you can keep them warm, and stow the extra baby gear, its really pretty managable. The only thing is that camp set up/take down, and meal prep will take longer.

4. Lauren5280

Lauren5280 Member

I started camping with my girls when they were just a couple of months old and haven't stopped! They younger ones are 13 & 11 now. Their birthdays are April & May. So basically I started camping with them in June of each year. I am a stickler for schedules so I always made sure I stuck to it. I also went to campsites that were large so the neighbors weren't right on top of us if the kids had a meltdown but honestly they didn't. I found that out in the fresh air they would actually sleep better than at home. I would definitely go for it!

5. Ksuburban

Ksuburban New Member

My wife and I camped with our 5 month old in a thunder storm and it was no problem. Were goin out again this weekend and he is walking now. Now this trip should be way more interesting.

6. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Oh heck yeah!!! Nothing more fun. Took my boy last August when he was about 5 mo. It was such a good time. It was really nice that we went with a few other couples who had kids ranging from 5 mo to 5 years. Just good company and extra helping hands.

I really think the kids play off the parents in terms of "freaking" out about their surroundings, etc. DW and I are avid campers as are our best friends (who also had a 5 mo old...kiddos born 3 hrs apart). Our kids and our bests friends kids were totally fine as were another couples 1.5 year old. Another couple had a 3 and 5 year old....the kids had never been camping....parents hadn't been in over a decade. The parents were all stressed out about everything (kids getting dirty, sounds of nature, were the kids going to fall into the stream, you name it) and their kids reacted accordingly. They ended up packing up first thing in the AM on the 2nd day. I theorize that because DW and I and the two other couples mentioned didn't have any issues with the kiddos as camping is 2nd nature to us....so the kiddos play off of that and say "dad and mom don't seem to be worried about anything, so there must not be anything to worry about".

This year should be a real adventure. My kiddo turns 1 next weekend and we're planning our first trip of the season for mid to late April. He's crawling now so keeping him contained could be quite interesting...we'll see if daddy can keep up [:D] Just remember to bring a note book and pen with you so you can write down all the nifty kid things you wish you would have taken along and notes to leave behind things you didn't/won't need in the future.

7. bonusbuilt1950

bonusbuilt1950 New Member

We took both our new born daughters of 2 months tent camping in Vermont back in 1983 and 1985. They both now married and off on thier own. Go for it!

Barry

Looking for our first pop up

8. shab

shab New Member

Two years ago, we started camping. Our youngest was just 4 months, middle was around 2 and oldest was around 4. It's a bit more work to keep things smooth just because you don't have the creature comforts of home. But my wife and I took turns with the kids. I would do it again. However, bedtime was sometimes a challenge, getting them to go to sleep and keeping them from waking.

9. TheShulaShack

TheShulaShack New Member

If you have a dinette - the pack and play willmost likely fit right between it. That is what we do when we have our 8 month old niece and it is perfect!

10. natedog_37

natedog_37 New Member

No such thing as to soon. My daughter was 6 months old on her first trip for a week in a tent.

My Nephew was 2 months old.

We just upgraded to a pup and she is playing in it already and loving it and we have not been camping yet this year. She is 16 months now.

11. rugraps

rugraps New Member

It's never too soon. My youngest started tent camping at 6 mos. bought our first pup when he was about 8 mos. I had removed one of the cabinets in the pup to fit the pack n play. He is two now, so now I'm adding another bench that unfolds to a toddler bed.

12. mommabear

mommabear New Member

i agree with what everyone else has said.. IMHO, the only time its too soon is if your having to get the Park Ranger cut the umbelical cord...just cuz i believe its more comfortable to recover at home LOL... Like everyone else, i had my kids out camping the first chance the weather was warm enough for tenting after they were born.. i have january, february and november babies so they were around the 5-6month mark...like everyone else, packed the Pack-n-Play, and also the exersaucer and did my best to keep the twig and dirt ingestion to a minimum :D

Have fun with the lil one in the great outdoors!!

13. CampRat

CampRat New Member

My daughter was 10 months old when we took our 1st Tent Camping trip. Needless to say one of the most severe Thunderstorms passed through the area. She slep like arock right through it. Her dad on the other hand....... [:O]

14. countrygirl7784

countrygirl7784 New Member

Took my daughter on a week long camping trip at 6 months, it was wonderful, all that fresh air was great, she slept like a log at night. Start em out young lol!

15. Mile High Mama

Mile High Mama New Member

Another vote to go for it. I have camped (in tents, no less!) with babies as young as 6 months old. The main problem (for me, not the babe or anyone else) was having to nurse in the cooooold middle of the night. (Babe was bundled separately from me, so I had to unzip my bag and expose myself. Brrrr! )

However, I would also add that the decision should take into account your child's temperament and sleeping habits. If you have a high-needs screamer babe, then it would be a kindness not to expose the whole campground to his/her "vocalizations." [;)]

Another consideration: I find it's actually much easier to camp with younger babies who don't crawl yet than those who are crawling or toddling and playing in the firepit ashes and putting every leaf and bug into her mouth. A "babe in arms" stays in a sling or other carrier most of the time and doesn't get so godawful filthy as those who are exploring the campsite. But hey, they all wash up, right? :)

16. kelbell1

kelbell1 New Member

I say go for it!!!!!!! My oldest was 5 months old when we went tent camping. It was the first tiem she slept through the night!
    Our younger daughter was 8 mon. and she did fine also. Its easier when they can't get around but I brought one of those hexagon shaped gates and put a tarp and blankets down and she had lots of room to play.
    I am due to have my 3rd this Aug. and we plan on taking him in Oct. My kids LOVE to camp!!
    Can't wait to go this year.
    Good luck!