Camping with Arthritis - A Teardrop in my future?

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by socharming, Jan 25, 2010.

1. socharming

socharming New Member

I have arthritis, not too bad now, but in a few years, I won't be able to do the setup of the tent trailer without maybe hurting myself.

So, I was thinking maybe a teardrop trailer wouldn't be a bad switch to make when things get difficult. The good I see in them is that the setup is practically nothing. The kitchen is in the back; just open the hatch. The beds are snug inside already made when you get there. I'd have to make sure it was a big one, as my husband is 6'4". But other than that, I don't see a downside.

Any other aging boomers thinking of this?

2. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

That, is a big Teardrop!

4. socharming

socharming New Member

I could camp in that!

5. cksteele

cksteele now where did i put that hot dog

That is one big tear drop. I have seen them with the add a room in the rv shows that gives them even more space.

6. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

If it was me, I'd also consider, or at least take a peak at a small, and I mean small TT, like a Tab, Funseeker, Scamp,etc. I think I'd want the option to be able to go inside if it rained, maybe even turn on the heater a bit if the dampness effected my arthritis. Just something else you might want to take into consideration.

7. mtn_bikers

mtn_bikers Northern NJ

I'd probably also look at the Scamp, they seem to have a lot of liveability packed into a very lightweight package.

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I've always been fascinated by teardrops and that looks like a nice one. However, they don't have any living space and one gets into setting up extra tents or canopies by the door &/or over the galley which partially defeats the idea of having nothing to set up or tear down.

As already mentioned, the T@B and TaDa trailers (teardrops on steroids) are big enough to stand in so you can get dressed and cleaned up without going outside. The "fiberglass egg" small TTs like Scamp and Casita are also an option. However, these trailers put you in the position of towing something that sticks up high and creates much more wind resistance than a PUP or classic teardrop.

I've seen some teardrops that open up clamshell-like and have expansion sections that come out to create a reasonable amount of living space. They seem to go up and down about as fast as an A-frame trailer (Aliner or Chalet) but cost a fortune.

Perhaps you should consider an A-frame. They tow like a PUP but set up in 30 seconds with spring assists.

9. erich0521

erich0521 New Member

I also wonder about A frames (Chalet or Aliner are 2 makes). I watched a guy last summer set up their A frame very easily with a spring assisted lift that was standard on Aliner. The only challenge might be having to lift one's hands up over 5 feet high if physically incapable.

10. socharming

socharming New Member

Never thought of an A-frame. That might be a very good option. Is there a small hybrid cub-style camper out there? Maybe a hi-lo would be nice. If there was a small enough Hi-Lo, it would solve the problem of wind resistance and ease of setup. It could also have an awning on it. Something to think about.

11. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

I like the looks of the Shadow Cruise "FunSeeker" model [:D]

12. snoopytrooper

snoopytrooper New Member

I to have arthritis and along with Ankylosing spondylitis so some day are better than others . I was thinking the same thing you are . Will I be able to set this up . The hardest part I found is cranking it up so i just go slow doing it all . I cant set it up in 15min like most more like a hr and sometimes a bit more . If you go slow and take your time and take breaks , don't over do it you should be ok . You know just like I do none of us are the same .

13. bearnbrie

bearnbrie Member

Go look at the R-Pod by Forest River [:O]

14. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

There is a small Hi-Lo (the 15T) but in my opinion it is too expensive. Well over $20K and you have no permanent bed. You have to put the dinette up/down daily. I think they run a bit on the heavy side, too. Here's a link:

Hi-Lo Trailers

15. socharming

socharming New Member

I feel your pain, Snoopytrooper! I have A.S. (ankylosing spondylitis) also! Not too bad now, but I sure have come to know my limits. I love my popup and the adventures that it makes possible, and I hope all the exercise, medication, and prayers keep me active for the rest of my life. I wish that for you as well!

16. socharming

socharming New Member

Oooh. Just saw the Aerolite Cub Expandable 160 - 2862 lbs . Nice layout for a small trailer and a bed that doesn't require crawling over anything or converting a dinette. Something like that would be nice.

17. snoopytrooper

snoopytrooper New Member

Their are not to many of us out their . Exercise and med's do help and a good Rheumatologest will be your best friend . I'm on Enbrel 2 shots pr week and I still have some bad days . Over time you will find out that your in no rush to do things . If I was closer to Oregon we could go pupping but im in Kansas . If your in the ellery parts of it fell free if you wish to email me snoopy93jeep@yahoo.com if you have ?'s about anything . Im going on 15yrs ago the doc found out what is up but records going back over 30yrs.

18. Gambit...

Gambit... New Member

A good Rheumie is a god send! I have psoriatic arthritis and have been putting up the good fight for years. Seems like forever since I could move with out some pain. I had to give up on Enbrel a few years ago, (as well as methotrxate, prednizone, remicade and humera), because my platelets and white cell count started dropping. Now days we are on the "experimental" side of life with strange mixtures and cocktails.

When popping up on bad days, I just take it slow and easy. On good days, I get around pretty good.
    I am looking into a power lift for my PUP but, I have never been so bad I could not get the job done. (This is with permanent joint damage including three decoupled toes.) Also, now days, my children are old enough to go and they help get everything set up and we all have a blast!

So, my advice would be to keep what you have until you can no longer enjoy it, THEN go look at other options.

Kim

19. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

At least everyone is trying to work their way round their problems & not give up, you may have to do things differently or take longer, we must have something to look forward too in our lives as what else is there.

20. socharming

socharming New Member

How interesting ... I never even considered NOT going camping! Just think what we, as a family, would have missed if I had given up at the point sleeping on the ground was out of the question! My boys would have been about 5 years old and we never would have gone again. How sad is that?!! Where there's a will, there really IS a way.