Camping with bathrooms open no showers

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by tiltshift, Jun 20, 2020.

1. tiltshift

tiltshift New Member

Hello all,

Greetings from Ontario, Canada. This week the Ontario provincial parks started opening again. We have reservations for next week at a campsite. I thought we wouldn't get to use the PUP at all this year, but looks like we will get some camping in after all. We picked up the trailer from winter storage last weekend, and packed and dewinterized today.

Not sure what camping looks like these days, but it will definitely be interesting, and a bit stressful. Luckily, we are going to Inverhuron, a park which is only 25 minutes from our house. We got a 20 month old who may not sleep well in a trailer, so its good to be close to home.

Ontario Parks doesn't have showers open, but the bathrooms are open.
    In this brave new world, how do people stay clean?
    The park is on the lake, and I'm ok with a lake bath, but others in my group need something a little more...
    We could always go home and shower, I guess...?
    Not entirely sure what the restrictions are regarding camp showers on sites, but dumping greywater is not allowed...
    Suggestions are welcome.

Also, how many people have taken to using cassette toilets these days? Vault toilets seem a little safer than larger washroom facilities, but the risk of aerosol transmission in closed shared spaces freaks me out a bit. Does one just prop the door open for a bit before use to ventilate?

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

You're camping - a little dirt is no big deal.

You can use wipes, sponge baths, etc., to clean up. Lake baths are great - just bring biodegradeable soap and shampoo.

Then embrace the dirt! When you get home, you can take a nice long hot shower - it's a great way to end the trip.

Rik Peery and neighbormike like this.
  3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I would say, if you are concerned about using public toilets, you could get a port-a-potty and shower/ privacy enclosure. Lots of different options and price-points.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

You can buy those solar showers and use a small inflatable kiddy pool to collect the gray water. Then some sort of pump to put the water to your gray water container. If you buy a shower tent you can also buy a cassette toilet and put everything together. No need to use the public bathroom that way. Sponge baths using a wash tub work as well.

PopUpSteve and neighbormike like this.
  5. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

If you can swim...call that a shower and throw on some deoderant....our bathrooms and showers are open...if i use either i take sanatizer wipes and hit the door handles etc...they clean em every hr but i still do my part.
    You could always get a bucket of clean water and sponge bath as well ...i have done than in my swimming shorts.
    As u said you are close to home.
    I am slowly using my porta potty more and more....havent worked up the courage to number 2 yet but its handy when u dont want to walk to bathroom or middle of night

6. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

It really makes a person think as to what the logic is behind the edicts these people in charge pull from their butts. You can not use a shower, but can go sit on a toilet someone else had their cheeks planted on two minutes prior. You can not use a shower but can use a sink where you have to turn faucets on used by someone else two minutes prior. How about the handle on the door into the place. Maybe they're now trying to globally eliminate foot fungus?

7. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

Also, get off my lawn.

8. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I spent over a week watching the cleaning crew show up at a restroom/showerhouse in a PA state park once per day where our campsite was directly across from. Its the same number of summer hires as previous years, they arrive about 2 PM and are their for maybe 10 minutes, the same as previous years. They empty the trash cans, refill soap and toilet paper dispensers (sometimes), and do a half arsed job of sweeping the floor. Despite the PA DCNR stating they are doing additional cleaning and disinfecting, I have yet to see it other than one guy spraying some Lysol or something else in a can around. I also saw him swat hornets with a broom one day for over 5 minutes of the 10. Maybe they were those ever elusive Covid infested hornets? Showers are open BTW, but playgrounds are not.

9. mandinga

mandinga Active Member

10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We are using our own porta potti 100% this season. I bought a shower/potti tent to give us a little more privacy (normally we just use it in the pup as a backup for #1 only).

We generally don't shower for short camping trips anyway. Call us pigs, or call it camping lol. The places we have camped have had showers available but we aren't using them, at least so far this season (2 times out)

As for the reasoning... it has to do with essential things open. You can't put off taking a s**t, but you can put off taking a shower. Everything in life is a compromise.

Toedtoes and neighbormike like this.
  11. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Would love to see them enforce that. The CG's we've been at this year aren't even enforcing the basic things like no multiple sites around a single campfire.

liz.s likes this.
  12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Basin baths, wipes (I found one that we like that is larger and doesn't leave a stickiness as some baby wipes do - Surviveware brand, though I don't know if you can get that brand in Canada), etc. all work for us. Granted we don't have kids to worry about, but we've been doing camping trips with and without campground showers for 30+ years. When available, clean, and warm, they're nice, but we can make do without. (Dating myself - I grew up with a cabin that had power but no piped water; my grandmothers house didn't even have a hot water tank until the early '70s, so I had good examples of how to live without real showers.)
    We used gel bags and a folding toilet with our popups, space consideration meant the folding aspect was important. If I had room, and someone to tote the tank to empty (my bad joints would make doing it myself unwise at times) and a guaranteed place to empty) I might have done the porta-potti route.
    This year has turned into a weird one all around, camping included. We're assuming our 10-day trip in August will be without showers, there aren't any in either campground, and we figure the local pay showers will be unavailable. I have a 4 night trip at the end of Oct., there are showers in the campground, but I assume if they're even open, it will be too cold to use them. (I'm old, I hate showering with goose bumps.)

13. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

We just finished 5 days, we stayed at Alice Lake Provincial Park that was supposed to have power hook ups. They blew their power transformer that also supplied power to the main washroom/shower house. They brought in a portable generator to supply power to it but not the rest of the sites...it quit 2 days in and they shut down the washroom and forced everyone to use the pit toilets...with no cleaning facilities. We were fortunate to have facilities in our travel trailer to wash up and use but had to be really conservative due to our water supply and holding tank capabilities. I brought a bottle of hand sanitizer that we used quite a bit with and just cleaned ourselves with a washcloth. Luckily I brought my inverter generator to keep our battery charged.

HappyTraveler and neighbormike like this.
  14. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Member

15. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Member

You may want to try camp driveway at least one night with the baby before taking off for a few nights of camping.

Rik Peery likes this.
  16. tiltshift

tiltshift New Member

Campsite report from day 1:
    Inverhuron is beautiful, campsites are private, with lots of room. We were lucky to get an oversized campsite for a larger trailer.

Rained all day today so ended up coming back after lunch for the kiddos to nap and wife to shower.

We slept over at the site last night, and kids slept fine once the got done with the initial excitement of sleeping in the trailer.

We got lots of hand sanitizer, which we used liberally, as well as lots of soap. Social distancing is easy, campsites are not busy, and I think some sites being kept empty. We used the vault pit toilets, which seemed clean. Probably safer than the main toilets since not busy, no vacuum flush, and roof vents open to the air.

Didn’t have to go into the park office for anything, since it’s all drive thru check in. Bit of a comical moment when the permit office worker stretched the card reader on a stick from beyond the plexiglas shield and I still couldn’t even reach out my window.

We did dishes with our water jug and dumped the grey water in the vault toilets(better safe than sorry since there is an active bear sighting in park).

So far so good...we may just stay close to home.

neighbormike and Jack Sprat like this.
  17. soflopopup

soflopopup Member

If there’a water hookup bring a hose!

18. sherylontario

sherylontario New Member

19. sherylontario

sherylontario New Member

I fully agree about embracing dirt, but we do a ton of hiking etc and it really does feel great to be at least able to get some of the grime off (especially in this sweltering humid heat we are having)

We just bought our PUP and I spent some time researching and this is my makeshift outdoor shower idea:
    No idea how it will work...[8D]
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IFHFJXI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01AT3T0GC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I'll get a hose that fits in the hole of this doggy bath to drain grey water as I believe they are enforcing grey water rules this year, not sure best to be safe.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07RVLRYXZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1