Camping with chronic pain/illnesses

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by KeatesCamping, May 16, 2019.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

No problem. It has the warnings for doing stuff in your sleep (eating, shopping, walking, etc.). I take it once I'm in bed and have never had any issues.

Another doctor prescribed me prazosin. Wow that was wild. I took it at bedtime, laid down in the bed and was suddenly wide awake. Completely wide awake. After an hour of trying to fall asleep, I got up to use the bathroom. As soon as I stood, I was literally falling down asleep. I managed to lay on the bed and as soon as my head was on the pillow, I was wide awake again.

2. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Should have enough reefer residue in me from my younger years to last me a lifetime lol...I can check on the salve; I'm in awe of those who suffer from migraines, yet still get up each day; had 'em as a kid, would sometimes throw up & pass out, then BAM, they miraculously went away, no explanation...hard to sit back & watch the suffering of others unable to help...I don't fear the inevitable dirt nap, it's accepting the fact that someday I'll be inside looking out, so do what you can, when you can, while you can...dang grateful for a crap load of memories & to be in the company of like minded folks :)

3. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

lol, "reefers" are legal in Canada now. I'm experimenting with smoking it for the migraines and hubby does it occasionally at night for his muscle/join/arthritis due to old football pains and because his job is very physical. You are allowed to grow, I think it's up to 3-4 plants on your property so we are experimenting with what strains work best for us.
    I typically have 3-5 days of pain each week. The intensity varies. There are coping mechanisms as I'm sure you have with your kinds of pain. We just have to deal with what we are given and make the best out of the times it's less, as you said. Try to give our kids/family the best memories of us before we go.
    Camping is my "happy place". Actually our plan in the next 10 years or so is to sell our house, by some land with acreage and build a cabin, off grid style, though the red tape is almost impossible to get through in some townships here. The government and electricity providers want you handcuffed to the system.

HappyTraveler and Rik Peery like this.
  4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Since "acquiring" tinnitus back in Dec I've learned that quite a few people we know also suffer from this condition as and there does seem to be a common theme - sometimes worse and sometimes better. Mine seems to be less intrusive those mornings I've managed to sleep well the night before but does get worse as the day goes on. Tinnitus also varies considerably as to how it presents - for some it's a pulsating sound, for others a low frequency tone, for those like myself it's a very high frequency squeal. So far I'm managing but my greatest fear is my tinnitus will suddenly flare up and not recede, to the point where I just won't be able to take it any more. Medical cannabis is now completely legal and readily available here in Canada but stepping outside the country could present serious legal issues.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    HappyTraveler and KeatesCamping like this.
  5. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Sounds crazy, but you may eventually get used to it to a degree...my hearing isn't that great, so maybe that helps me deal better w/ it; sometimes it seems louder in 1 ear, like the high pitch squeal you mentioned, then switch off...put on a set of shooting muffs yesterday when I hopped on the mower for the 1st time in years, ringing was really noticeable then, I got no clue...hoping yours gets under control...

HappyTraveler and KeatesCamping like this.
  6. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

I'm in Ontario too! Did you try the CBD with the THC? Or smoking, or edibles? I am experimenting with these myself because I heard that some people respond better with different ways of ingesting it. Also there are different strains that work better for certain disabilities than others. Here are two links I found that tell you what is good for Tinnitus.
    https://www.marijuanabreak.com/best-cannabis-strain-for-tinnitus
    https://www.leafly.ca/explore/conditions-tinnitus

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Just have to say this thread is both sad( its unfortunate that people do suffer pain daly) , and up lifting, that so many can both relate and stop to help and post what works for them. Hope you all feel better, or at least find something that works for you to mitigate the pain , whatever it is. I do know that some stuff like constantly taking pain killers etc is not good. I myself, while younger then some here have had back problems since i was a child. At the worst of it i was taking dailly ,percocet, ultracett, mussel relaxers etc. I had to take ulcer meds just to take the pain killers to move. The worst was when they put me on dilauted( its basicly heroin) and said thats the best they could do. Luckly i found some minor operations and allternative medications 10 years ago. It took a while of trying anything and everything , no matter the cost. So no more meds for me now. I still have mild pain , but i can move and lift heavy stuff without consequences. I hope that for everyone, to be able to enjoy there lives without pain, or limitations.

8. GreyFox

Although medical marijuana is totally legal here in Canada I had a hell of a time setting up an account with 3 different companies - took me months going between my family doc and the suppliers but eventually sorted it out. Shopper's Drug Mart is now in the game and once you understand how to properly apply for an account they're probably the easiest to deal with. I have no interest in smoking, vaping, or even edibles so it would have to be either pills or drops for me. My family doc is my age so he had no idea what to prescribe so taking the advice of a Shopper's online physician I chose Tilray drops with a 25:1 CBD to THC ratio as I'm not interested in getting high, just want to be able to sleep at night and better tolerate the squealing during the day. The first 2 days I took it in the morning but felt odd the rest of the day so switched to taking it before bed. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to do much for me but these are early days and probably too soon to tell. Thanks for those links though, I'll check 'em out for sure.

KeatesCamping and HappyTraveler like this.
  9. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

Exactly. I was prescribed 500 mg of naproxin and it began eating a my stomach after a few years. Now I have consistent heartburn/acid reflux issues even though I stopped taking it a long time ago. The damage is done. That's why I decided to try cannabis in different forms, levels ect. It's far less harmful than most meds with far less side effects. I'd love to get off my anxiety/depression meds some day.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. GreyFox

My current biggest issue with my tinnitus is getting a good night's sleep as I find that when I do my tinnitus bothers me less the next day. Lorazepam works well for me in this regard but is addictive so I can only take it a couple times each week. Today I had an appointment with my family doc today to ask if he would prescribe Belsomra as an alternative to Lorazepam, something I might be able to take each night. Although it seems Belsomra was approved for release in Canada Nov 29, 2018 ...

https://hpr-rps.hres.ca/reg-content/regulatory-decision-summary-detail.php?linkID=RDS00475

... my doc had never heard of it but wrote a script for me to take to my pharmacist to see what he knew about it. The pharmacist says his supplier doesn't list it as an available product so I'm now back to square one - poor to no sleep most nights, only a couple of good nights when I can take Lorazepam. Arrrghhhh! [V]

11. Gale Bray

Gale Bray New Member

I have chronic pain from ureteral stents and cannot take pain meds due to bad kidneys damaged by radiation. Marijuana helped a great deal thru chemo and radiation, but does not seem to lessen the stent pain. As I went thru treatment, my joints became very painful and I found cutting dairy and meat from my diet drastically reduced joint pain. I limit my sugar and carbs as well. Veggies, fruits, nuts, beans, and the occasional protein shake has kept me on my feet. Because of my diet, I eliminated type 2 diabetes, have great blood pressure and cholesterol. As for the stent pain, I take a few minutes throughout the day to rest and relax. I leave enough time so I do not have to hurry, thereby reducing stress.

Rik Peery likes this.
  12. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Osteoarthritis throughout most of my spine period from just below the shoulder blades all the way down to the pelvis. This causes a lot of issues with the sciatic nerve. I've also got tennis elbow in both arms and plenty of deterioration in both shoulders. So it might be easier to say what doesn't hurt. The good thing is that the my greens seemed to be mostly over for me.

For my issues I make sure I take my medication I do my physical therapy stretches can I make absolutely certain that I have a way to power my CPAP. Untreated the apnea will give me a migraine within 48 hours that is absolutely crippling.

If I have a flare up it is most likely going to be back. My wife can certainly assist with set up at least to get A-tent or a trail where set up and a bed made. I can take my medication role on a bunch of icy hot and with some assistance lay down and wait until the medication and icy hot take effect.

I have no interest in the psychoactive effects of cannabis however I am very intrested in the Anti-inflammatory and pain relieving effect of CBD oil. Having said that I don't know exactly how legal it is where I live even though I see it for sale all over the place. And I so have to work for a living and I am concerned about it showing up on a drug screen.

I have friends in States and with jobs where marijuana is legal and not penalized. They also have very similar health issues to me and the CBD is helping them greatly.

Rik Peery likes this.
  13. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I've had mine, 24/7, for close to 10 years now. Mine is also the super high pitch squealing. Think of the highest electronic feed back sound you can imagine. The sound that made everyone, including Captain Kirk, pass out on the bridge of the Enterprise, 50 years ago. Now double that pitch of sound. Now double it again. Now maybe quadruple it. It's so high pitch, there's probably no name for it, and no way to describe it. Thats how mine is. It's worse/louder in the morning, or after waking from an unplanned nap. It's always there, it's constant, and is squealing right now as I type this. It never goes away. Years ago it was only on one side or the other. Sometimes I would just be sitting there watching TV, or doing whatever, and I would get a really loud snap sound in my ear or brain, and the squealing would start from that, then it would slowly fade over the next few minutes. It became more frequent, until at some point it just never went away anymore. This is what the audiologist said to me many years ago, "you'll just have to learn to live with it, because all the medications, that don't really work anyway, have too many side effects to make it worth while taking them on a constant basis". So I put up with it, try not to let it ruin my day, usually have a radio or TV on in the background to give my brain something else to listen to, and trudge on through.

RockyRoo and Rik Peery like this.
  14. FamilyMank

FamilyMank New Member

Yep. I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome - a connective tissues disorder that causes chronic pain.

15. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Thought I'd share. I've tried aerobic exercise in the past and it always made me feel awful. I never got that "rush" they talk about and would quickly stop.

With my recent retirement, I decided I needed to do something to get back into shape. So I started a weight training program. I did the first two sessions with a personal trainer to develop a routine, determine weight amounts, and learn how to properly use the machines, etc. Today was my first session on my own. I'm really liking it. I can feel the difference after just 3 sessions. My goal is to rebuild my muscles to the point that I can do day hikes again. And ease the strain on my knee joints by building the muscles. I 'm hoping weight loss will be a side effect.

For those who hate aerobic exercise, like me, really consider weight lifting. You don't need to really strain at it. I'm at the very low end of the weights, but the trainer said I should be able to increase every five weeks or so. You can rest as long as you need between sets so it doesn't make you feel like a bowl of jello. I did discuss it with my doctor before I started so got the go ahead. Getting a personal trainer to start you off really helps. I explained my physical injuries, asthma, extreme dislike of aerobic/cardio exercise, and my goals. He worked with me to develop a program that matched. I also took a photo of each machine and the settings in order - so I can refer to those as I workout.

Late September I am going camping at the ocean, so I'll be able to test my progress by hiking on the beach.