Camping with Guinea Piggies

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by OBXer, Dec 13, 2011.

1. OBXer

OBXer New Member

Does anyone camp with guinea pigs? We just got two and they are so cute! I am thinking ahead to next spring/summer and wondering if there is anything special about camping with them.
    Thanks for any input!
    Mrs. OBXer

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Keep 'em away from coyotes, foxes, hawks, eagles and owls!

3. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

yes keep them in their cage, we have a little Girl that brings her Bunny every year, it is fine in the cage, even outside with all the Dogs walking by and wanting to sniff the cage. [8D]

4. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

We just got what we thought was a guinea pig. She was supposed to be 3 months old when we got her and we have had her fro a little over 2 months..

We noticed how chunky she was getting and decided we needed to modify her diet. Well we never even got that far.. on Friday December 9th My husband came home and asked me if I bought more... I said "No, Why? Low and behold we had two new piggies in the cage!!!

Never even thought about taking them camping. I think I would be a nervous wreck with all the predators. I have a small dog too and worry too much about her!

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Ooooohhh, I love guinea pigs!! Years ago, we had two of them. One of the straight haired ones and one of the "bad hair day" ones. They were the sweetest little things but never took them camping. I would imagine they would be fine, though, as long as they stayed in their cage.

6. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I'm sure as long as they are kept in the cage, everything would be fine. I would also keep them in the p'up most of the time as well....and certainly at night, as a predator isn't going to have much trouble with most of those cages.

That said, I've never even pondered such a thing.....but then again, I don't have guinea pigs either. Just not big on rodents as pets....but that's just me. [:D]

7. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

My Neighbor's dog ate my Guinea Pig when I was 5. I'm still scarred.

( [:D])

8. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

Now you could teach them to row a small boat and one to yell row... row...... row.... into a small megaphone to create electricity for your computer.

Guinea Pigs Row Tiny Boat - Extended Version - GEICO commercial

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I've never seen the extended version before. Cute!

10. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

Hawks and eagles love to play with guinea pigs

11. OBXer

OBXer New Member

I LOVE the extended version of the commercial! I hadn't seen it all before - thanks for sharing. I appreciate all the responses. Obviously we will watch out for predators. I've never had piggies before and until recently I thought of them as "rodents" too. They are soooo very cute and have quite distinct personalities. We built a cage for home so the standard pet store cage that can fold down is what we will take camping.
    We have an 8 foot box with a queen, single and the table bed. Myself and hubby, two teenage daughters, a one year old (step)granddaughter, 2 small chihuahuas and now 2 guinea pigs. I think we need to trade up!
    OBXer

12. coach32765

coach32765 New Member

I never paid to much attention to that commercial before, but the extended versionis good. Is the actor the guy from night court?

13. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I don't know if he is. It' been a looooong time since that show was on.

Sorta looks like him though.

14. disnewdigs

disnewdigs New Member

When my children were small we always had a guinea piggie or two around, and often took them along on trips with no problems. Once though while camping near Rehobeth Beach in DE, a nasty storm blew up while we were at the beach, and the rain blew in the camper window before we returned to our camper, soaking everything inside her poor little cage! We did our best to dry out her home, but in a few days she acquired a respiratory infection, and about a week she later passed away. Our vet tried to save Heidi, but little could be done. I guess the reason I shared this is to say .. yes, I would camp with them again if the opportunity should arise. Just know they are fragile creatures and take care to be sure nothing like this happens to your little ones. :)