Camping with Little Ones

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by johnhenry, Jan 13, 2017.

1. johnhenry

johnhenry Member

I'm planning on taking my 17 month old on a short trip here in the North Texas area in early March. He's a pretty good sleeper, but I've never slept him out of his crib or a pack and play. Any suggestions from those of you that have taken your little ones on trips in the past?

2. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

we started taking our little ones at 4 months and they/we had a blast and I commend you for taking the little ones out. We do everything we did before having children--skiing, hiking, climbing and biking. The only things I can recommend is be sure to have extra warm clothing (my general rule is on more layer then you would take for yourself), make sure your go to sleep and stay asleep program doesn't change (we have a sound machine at home that plays waves and it also runs on batteries in the PUP), many extra pairs of clothes and be prepared to have your little one sleep with you if he wakes (i.e. a backup sleeping bag for you/spouse).

my [2C] Happy Camping!

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Not sure if it is possible, but you could always try taking a small playpen along for him to sleep in..

One thing I would start doing as early as possible, even now.. start getting him use to sleeping in the pup out in the driveway..

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Also check out our kid and pet section and you will see what some do for sleep arrangements for their kiddos. Try a camp driveway for a day or two before your trip to get an idea how they will do. Some families use a pack_n_play on the folded down dinnette table. For my little side kick we took her out when she was 2. So just put her on the folded down dinnette table as it was lower to the ground and less likely for her to hurt herself if she decided to roll herself off in the middle of the night. That kiddo even then found herself in some interesting sleep positions even then.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

You can still use the pack and play, even if there is no floor space. :)

[​IMG]

Not my photo. I saw it on Pinterest awhile back and thought it was cute. Looks like they just took out the bunk mattress.

6. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

That's about the age my son was on his first camping trip. He did great, actually sleeping better in the pup that he did at home. I used the pack and play on that trip and it worked great. I later moved on to a pea pod on the bunk for him when he was a bit older.

#2 is due in May, so he will be about a year at the start of the 2018 camping season and I plan to get him started right away.

7. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

We took all of our kids camping when they were under 1 year old. My youngest one went for a 9 day week when she was only 2 months old. We were in a tent back then, and took those portable playpens with us. She was actually in an old bassinet from Grandma that might have been made out of an old dresser drawer and blankets. We put a piece of mosquito netting over it and all was good. Theres nothing like cooking formula (I know he's not on formula at 17 months old) on a picnic table using a Coleman stove and filling 6 bottles at once to fill the cooler up. Then you need to reheat it by boiling another pot of water on the stove to roll the bottle around in. It's the things that memories are made of, I'm smiling about it all right now. Like Snow said, get him out of his crib and into different surroundings sooner rather than later. All will be good.

8. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

Our oldest was a baby when we took him camping. We were sharing a pup with friends and put him on the floor. He did great. With others we did the pack and play.

I also started taking the kids backpacking when they were about 5. I recommend a look at Steven Boga's "Camping and Backpacking with Children." Plenty of good tips.

BTW, my youngest is 20 and they all survived.