Camping with teenagers

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by sblanck, Nov 11, 2018.

1. sblanck

sblanck Member

Looking for suggestions on camping with teenagers.
    My daughter is 14 and my son is 17. My son isnt really a problem being that he is an Eagle scout. My daughter on the other hand is bored. I dont blame her really. Wife wants to go somewhere neat for December. Struggling to find something that will make everyone happy.

Adina*Moo likes this.
  2. Fless

Fless Active Member

Consider having her take a friend along, @sblanck. I know things get tight space-wise but maybe that could work.
    _

Adina*Moo likes this.
  3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Each family is different but in my 20 yrs of RV camping experience what you're facing is an uphill battle in making everyone "happy". We began travel camping with our boys as soon as our youngest was out of diapers and all through their grade school years did a lot of traveling & camping, thousands of miles every year. [:P] However, once they hit high school things changed - we no longer had the flexibility to just take off whenever it suited us, our boys' time was taken up with schoolwork, girls, sports, girls, part time jobs, girls, and the natural result was a decided lack of interest in continuing to camp with their parental units. ;) They're now adults, have their own lives, so it's now just the 2 of us. :( Friends of ours, committed campers for years and owners of a number of different types of campers from popups, to hybrids, to travel trailers finally gave up entirely 3 yrs ago when they were subjected to so much resistance to still camping as a family, little cooperation in helping - now their oldest is almost 18 and interestingly has rekindled an interest so they decided to dive back in with a used popup that will allow them to still get out there and camp but won't be much of a loss financially if the plan doesn't work out, especially since their younger one has to be coerced into going since he's still of the age where they're not yet comfortable leaving him on his own. It's a tough situation but one I suspect most of us have had to deal with sooner or later - sounds like in your case your time has come. :sad:

Adina*Moo likes this.
  4. sblanck

sblanck Member

I think the DW had mentioned bring a friend. Thanks for the reminder on that option. I feel the winter camping trip will be better since the ban on open flames is lifted. Being able to have a fire is so important in my opinion.

Milemaker13 likes this.
  5. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Where are you and how far are you willing to travel? I have a DQT also and a friend would help, but most of her friends aren't interested in camping. Try to find some attraction close that would interest her for one day. Remember the family is more than one person and the children don't rule it. Our teen always complains in the beginning, but ends up having a good time. In fact our camping vacations have been some of the best.

Adina*Moo and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Having a friend along can really make a difference. When kids are young, they can have fun in most any situation with most any group of people. As they age, their lives are very much centered around their personal friendships. Even if they have "a rotten time", the fact that it was a shared experience between friends will keep it from being a failure - just because they can share their misery. :)

Adina*Moo likes this.
  7. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Go camping where there is a restaurant near by and go out to eat a couple of nights. Teenagers like that.

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

DQT? I have an "Acronym List" page I try to keep updated and DQT is not on it. Assume it refers to a teenager.

9. sblanck

sblanck Member

Oddly I win on that particular front. She prefers my cooking to what she gets at a restaurant.

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Consider going somewhere to visit. The important thing is spending quality time as a family. Forcing your desires for outdoors, campfires and hiking etc may no longer be the right option.

I mostly use the pup as a place to sleep and relax at the end of the day. We go to museums or other attractions that may be in the area and are of interest to our son. We usually agree to compromise - he picks someplace to visit and then he has to put up with something we want.

Good luck - we are all having to adapt. My son is a freshman this year and free weekends are very scarce. Now when he had one he would prefer to do something with his friends, his girlfriend or just relax at home as he doesn't get to do any of those things during the week.

Adina*Moo and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I have a 14yo son but fortunately he has a 11yo brother and they find stuff to do together, and he's also OK doing stuff on his own. I would find some activities you can do as a family: yard games (we bring a bunch of options such as cornhole, ladder golf, bocce, etc), Geocaching, etc. Take some day trips to nearby attractions to make it more interesting.

Also we always bring bikes along and the boys love exploring the area. Now that they're old enough we turn them loose and give them a very long leash to do their own thing for awhile.

Adina*Moo likes this.
  12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Let her bring a friend. If you have a tent, let them put it up and sleep there instead of in the camper. I know at 14, I would not like to be stuck in a camper with my parents. Also bring bikes so they can explore on their own.

Adina*Moo likes this.
  13. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Let me guess - DQT = Drama Queen Teenager. Hey, it fits! [:O)]

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm thankful my side kick loves swimming so I was good staying somewhere that has a pool. I also allowed her phone for night time but tried to encourage actual talking around the campfire. That's becoming a lost battle. She also enjoys going on some hikes as well. She is 14 and now on the cheer team. Well every darn weekend is booked solid during the school year and now her summers are becoming just as booked. So my trips are now just me only. [:(].

When growing up and mom wanted the whole family to come camping we went to the beach. It was easier in that there was pretty much everything around or at a short drive away. I personally spent more time on the beach but my brothers lived on the boardwalk. We all went putt putting, the amusement park, and catch the shows as a family and then we split up so we can do our own thing too. Occasionally mom would allow us to bring a friend but one of my brothers friends pissed her off to the point she didn't want the frustration again so said no. Then again teenagers seem to be different today then when we were growing up. My side kick doesn't hang out like I did and her mind seems to always want to do something every minute. Any idleness leads to bordom. I don't remember that problem myself at that age. Then again we knew if we complained about being bord mom would hand us the vacuum cleaner or dust rag.

15. Orchid

Sounds like there is a story to be told. [;)]

Adina*Moo likes this.
  16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Let's say teenagers will be teenagers. Get multiple together their brains cease to function sometimes.

Adina*Moo likes this.
  17. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Drama Queen Teen. She'll be in college after this coming summer. The DW, grandboys, and me will be easier to have a fun trip.

18. Orchid

Just leave her home while you go. I sure would.

Adina*Moo likes this.
  19. AlohaPup

AlohaPup New Member

...at 14 by herself? Not good.

Adina*Moo likes this.
  20. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Acronym page has been updated. Thanks.

neighbormike likes this.