Camping with ticks: I have the mammalian meat allergy

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by unclemark, Oct 1, 2019.

1. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

In 2017, a tick bite during a Georgia camping trip changed my eating habits permanently.

SHFL, Rik Peery and PopUpSteve like this.
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Pretty crazy! Thank you for sharing and increasing awareness!

unclemark likes this.
  3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Happy cows spread lone star ticks...

unclemark likes this.
  5. unclemark

It is crazy. An allergy like this is almost a hobby. In the video, I had to resist the urge to start every sentence with, "Here's where the story gets weird ..." Thanks for watching.

Rik Peery and neighbormike like this.
  6. unclemark

Definitely. But one theory for the lateness of the "discovery" of the allergy (beginning in 2007) is that deer populations were hunted to severe minimums during the 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s in the southeast United States, so the lone star tick had no natural hosts and their populations were in decline. Reduced hunting brought resurgent deer populations since the 70s, which have helped the tick to spread, which has resulted in more allergy cases -- enough that the allergy could finally be "discovered" by medical science that had modernized while deer were rare. Who knows? Thanks for watching!

7. unclemark

8. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

The good news about Alpha-Gal is that most people will be able to eat mammalian meat in a few years assuming they arent re-bitten.
    On the flip side several medications are derived from bovine or swine and could cause a fatal reaction. Heparin and some insulins.

9. unclemark

A decision like that probably requires medical advice. Certainly, top researchers have begun to counsel some of their own Alpha Gal patients they can eat mammalian meats with minimal fats, particularly deli meats. On a facebook forum, I've seen one patient declare that he backs off meat in the summer after his first tick bite and resumes eating in winter after the effects of bites have worn off, and he takes antihistamines to deal with reactions if they occur. But many, many people on that forum have horror stories of believing they had recovered from the allergy, eating mammalian meat, and suffering severe reactions. I see no reason to experiment, but I've continued to get new lone star tick bites each year in 2017, 2018, and 2019, so that's a factor. Further, I've had localized skin reactions to old bite sites when I've worn wool socks, for example, so I have no interest in putting mammal meat inside my body. Thanks for posting.

10. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Couple of folks around here have the same thing, & a pal of mine was recently diagnosed w/ Lyme Disease; the whitetail population has exploded here in Va., & not as many folks seem to hunt, & ticks abound out the yang...

unclemark likes this.
  11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I actually do breed possums on our property. Or should I say I make the environment very possum friendly so that they may breed themselves. :smiley: In 13 years, we've went from an occasional one, to a very healthy nightly population of dozens. Haven't seen a tick here in years.

Camping is another story altogether and DEET required.

unclemark, WrkrBee and Rik Peery like this.
  12. unclemark

I have a few opossums show up every year, but my dogs don't agree with the proposition that they belong here. I don't see ticks at home -- also didn't see any this weekend at Annie and Abel Van Meter State Park in Missouri. The cooler weather has perhaps slowed them down. Mosquitoes are still laughing at my DEET, however.

Orchid likes this.
  13. unclemark

Weird thing: The allergy apparently comes from a different species of tick than the one that carries Lyme Disease. I think you and I live in states where both ticks are active, though. Reduced hunting is supposedly a factor in the supposed increase in tick-borne maladies, but who knows? This allergy was around long before it was discovered, docs just called it "irritable bowel syndrome" and shrugged.

Rik Peery likes this.
  14. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

An underappreciated reason for the deer population explosion was the eradication of the screwworm fly mid 20th century. I don't know how people can forget something so gross...

unclemark likes this.
  15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

They aren't eradicated, there was an outbreak a couple years ago in the Keys. A few domestic animals were affected but it was mostly deer affected.

unclemark likes this.
  16. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Eradicated from the cattle-producing parts of the US which is where they bothered people enough to get USDA-APHIS involved? Naw, they aren't gone as a species, but their absence in places like Texas has had a big impact on the ecology of tick meals.

unclemark likes this.