Camping with WiFi

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Jan Cristo, Jul 21, 2019.

1. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

I too have Consumer Cellular, I've had it for several years now, it's cheap, piggybacks on AT&T, and for the most part has met my needs. However two years ago I used it as a hot spot while camping as the campground wifi kept cutting out and only worked at all in one particular spot of the site. So I tethered my computer to the phone, we watched one movie on Netflix and my data usage went up so much I just couldn't believe it. My bill went up $35.00 to watch only one movie, learned my lesson and haven't done that again. Historically I don't use a lot of data on my phone and I typically pay around $40.00 for two phones and Consumer Cellular which doesn't offer an unlimited plan automatically bumps you up whenever you go over. My wife hasn't even used her phone for two years since her company provided her one a nice Iphone with an unlimited Verizon plan, but it's tied to her work so she doesn't like to use it as a hot spot. I've been reluctant to cut her phone from my plan as we've had the number for over 20 years. recently she did tell me I should stop paying for it, and since my own phone is in need of an upgrade, I've been shopping for a new provider. Here's the part that pisses me off I can get a 4 phone plan, unlimited for $40.00 per line, per month. I don't need 4 lines, I only need 1 line and that same plan for only 1 line is $95.00 a month. I feel as though I will very soon need to make the switch.

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I used to purchase cell phones for work. I learned a lot about the major carriers.

Sprint was limited on cell towers - all were new in the 90s and ran along major highways and interstates. They didn't have any old towers to fall back on and therefore lacked service in rural areas.

AT&T had all the original towers along the highways and so were able to put new ones up in other areas during the 90s. This allowed them to build up in rural areas faster than the other carriers.

Verizon was built from many local carriers and so they benefited from multiple infrastructures built in different regions. By joining those together, they developed an infrastructure similar to AT&T.

Out here, none of them work well in the mountains. There are a few areas that get reception, but for the most part you are out of contact as soon as you leave the interstates.

3. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Jan Cristo,
    You probably need a new carrier I would check the coverage maps. But you must also keep in mind that smartphones are not very powerful transmitters or receivers. There are a lot of signal boosters out there that can help a lot.

When I use my phone as a hotspot I place as high in the camper on the wall the shows the most bars of reception.