Camping Withdrawal - how many of us feel this way?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by dfury7, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Made reservations in Ventura for the Valentine's Weekend and President Day

2. internetauthor

internetauthor First Time PuP Owner in Texas!

We'll I've jammed Summer 2016 so full of state parks I'm out of camping possibilities! Some of this was necessary as you have to plan almost a year in advance for Garner and some Arkansas State Park. Some was just the fun of scheduling and planning trips!

I missed my shot at Lost Maples for Thanksgiving this year so I'll have to try again next year. I have the first popup trip scheduled over Spring Break, which is the first real break this teacher gets for pup camping. Our season apparently runs from Spring Break through back-to-school in August. In March we're heading to Colorado Bend for Gorman Falls and then Inks Lake. This summer I have Pedernalas Falls, Garner State Park, Lake Catherine State Park and Galveston Island State Park. It's enough planning to keep me content during the school year!

Fortunately I can get get an outdoors fix with the 5 scouting camping trips I've had to organize for my Webelo and Cub scouts. These are for 12-60 people at a time, so lots of planning and thoughts about camping go into each. We have two scheduled in the next month and even here in the Houston area, tent camping in February can be miserable. Or lovely. You don't usually know until five minutes beforehand. At least the one in April won't be too bad...assuming it's not over 90 degrees by then.

3. desertwilde67

desertwilde67 Member

Can't wait to get back out....planning the summer trip

4. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

2 weeks reserved!!! July into August with a 2 day clean and restock and recharge break between.
    Wells State Park then Daughters of the American Revolution HERE WE COME!!!

Almost time to hit Granville state Forest when she opens up in May!!!!

Just a few more months girl....
    [​IMG]

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

If I'da known the winter was going to be this mild here, I woulda never quit!!
    Still seeing the grass on the beginning of February...high of 38 tomorrow... it's just unheard of around these parts.

6. Miller

7. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Major camping withdrawals, went in the camper yesterday to check for critter damage or sign and the smells brought back all the good memories :)

8. Miller

Camper smell or critter smell? [;)] [:D]

9. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

I knew someone (see above) would think that LOL Just the camper smell , no critters have moved in [;)] yet.

10. Miller

I couldn't resist, you left the door wide open LOL!!! I am just surprised I got to it first!!
    I am suffering, gotta get outta the concrete and plastic and into the woods...any woods just soon!!!
    Feb 8th and I can reserve for May the first weekend for the PUP of 2016!!!
    I am hoping to see bears or have a beer with a bear...either way I will be happy and relaxin'!

[​IMG]

11. mtnbkndude

mtnbkndude Member

Love the meme. I think we all feel that winter is too long. Especially if our camper is in our driveway under cover, begging to be used. Luckily, I don't have to wait much longer. I'm currently charging my battery for our first camping trip of the year next weekend.

2002 Coleman Utah
    2012 Toyota Sienna

12. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

This was yesterday, and a long 4 days until a 4 day trip....

[​IMG]

13. Donald

Donald New Member

Just came from the annuel RV expo in montreal for the first time expérience. i felt like spending the weekend there !!!!

14. CalKat

CalKat Member

Definite withdrawal, because we were moving to another state in mid summer. Lots of packing and unpacking.

This year we need to fix two punctures in the roof from falling tree branch before we can go out and explore our new state. If it isn't one thing, it's another. [:(O]

15. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Oh God, I was thinking the same thing! It's okay though... I use this time of the year to have all the repair work done to the TV. I would have blown the budget for sure!
    It's just hard looking at the pup out there and thinking of all the things I could be doing!

16. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

Yup. The whole family. Last weekend, I carved a path through the snow (what was left of the 36" we got the weekend before) to get to our backyard fire bowl and the wood pile. DW was happy to smell the backyard camp fire when she came home from her errands. Today, more snow (2-5", as much as 8" depending on elevation and local temperature differences).

We plan to book this year's trips once the Eagle gives us back the money it illegally confiscated (we get our tax return).

17. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You people in the warm climates that are still camping please post pictures here.

18. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I posted one, but photobucket is very very slow..... Heading out Thursday again!! It was 82*F today!!

19. 1951 bear

1951 bear Active Member

If it weren't for this and other forums, I would likely move right into the DT's. DW and I are selling the PUP and have decided to go to the dark side. The mild November and December weather did not help calm our seasonal CDD (camping deficient disorder) and the added anticipation of going to the darkside with a new camper in the spring tended to fuel the fire. By this time in the year, very little new material remains on the web after spending hours trying to squelch the effects of CDD. So for the next few weeks I will have to be content with looking at new TT's on the web and selling the PUP. I think we might just make it until Spring.

BEAR

20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@ 1951 bear
    good luck on your search for a TT and selling the pup We went to the dark side a year and a half ago - my off season hankering for camping is not reduced by having it sitting in the driveway!

The pups extended our season by a fair amount, but we're still limited by what's open, and the weather to/from a destination (not to mention DH's work schedule). Even in summer, there aren't many places we enjoy less than 5-9 hours away.
    Our ground tent camping season was usually April-Sept/October; we had occasional trips in March or Nov. With the pup and TT, we've added a month or so at each end of that. Partly depends on weather - we've encountered snow at Grand Canyon the first week of Nov and a warm trip the first week of Dec. Our first trip this year will be in March, hoping for good weather on the road and at Grand Canyon (mid-April is the earliest we've been there before). I'm already feeling withdrawal since we won't get to go again until Memorial Day, given DH having 3 week-long trips for work over a 6-week span. I may fit in a trip to visit friends, staying in the TT but it won't be camping as such.
    Planning trips and mods to the TT over the winter help - but now I'm itching to get started on readying the TT for the year. The new CO/LP detector is sitting on the counter in the kitchen and the Smart Tiles for the backsplash arrived yesterday.