Campsite Owner Resources

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by teh603, Jun 19, 2021.

1. teh603

teh603 Member

I've got a small piece of land- about two acres- and my wife and I are considering putting a campsite or two on it. And while some things are obvious- needing municipal water and septic hookups, pavement, picnic benches, lantern hooks, firepits- there's going to be a lot of gotchas involved.

Does anyone have any good resources for someone who might be interested in setting up a small campsite? I'm already consulting Professor Google, but his results are often limited.

rescamilla likes this.
  2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Look at some ab nb stes or harvest host for suggestions, a lot of people set up camping spots on there property, farms, etc.

rescamilla and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I would just suggest you look into local codes begore doing anything. Lots of places dont care, but it would suck to sonk money into something and find out they do.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

First steps would be talk to your local bylaw department and see about zoning etc..

rescamilla, Menehune and DiamondGirl like this.
  5. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ Diamond Supporting Member

@Sjm9911 is correct…

Be sure to contact the local municipal office and find out about building, planning and zoning information. You don’t want to spend any money before finding out about restrictions and requirements for what you’re planning to do.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

rescamilla and Menehune like this.
  6. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

The places we tend to camp often have only 2 of those 5 "obvious" necessities lol.

7. teh603

teh603 Member

I was basing that on what I'd seen at the state parks.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Never been to a State or Provincial Park with all those.. electric, YES.. Water, Some of them but not many.. and a dump station everyone uses.. that is about it..

9. teh603

teh603 Member

Last one we were at had all but septic. We had literally everything else plus one of those campsite BBQ pits that nobody seems to use.

Also, with most of the dump stations I've seen having been sized for a Class A to pull thru, I was thinking just having a sewer hookup might be easier.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Sewer hook ups either mean a lot of septic or long sewer runs under ground..

Only State park I was in the had those bbq s on the site was in Tennessee.. I used it, only because every now and then when camping burgers must be cooked over charcoal, otherwise is the propane bbq..

The kiss method would be the best way to start.. electric only.. but even that will cost a fair bit to trench, lay proper sized wire (for at least 30amp service) ..

rescamilla likes this.
  11. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

If you are interested in the less formal/keep-it-simple approach, as mentioned above, you may want to see what hipcamp.com can offer. I'm pretty sure they are always looking for new hosts/listings. They may have information for new hosts to consider when signing up of their service. A lot of locations, including several places we've camped, were nothing more than pull-outs off a truck trail or raw land behind the owner's house. Targeting the responsible, self-contained camper, might be a convenient way to get started and see where it takes you. Everyone on this forum would be a perfect target market.

Not sure if it would also be helpful but there is a YouTube channel called the "RV Odd Couple" that's currently posting a series on buying an older campground.

The very best of luck in your project and please let us know when it gets up and running?

rescamilla, vagov and Rik Peery like this.
  12. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

Same here. And we often camp on sites without electric because they don't book up as fast.

13. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Reading through the listings at Boondockers Welcome will give you a great idea what folks just like you have set up. It can be as simple as a spot on the driveway without any hookups.

vagov likes this.
  14. Frank Wartman

Frank Wartman New Member

Might need to check on your liability insurance too.

Hilldweller, rescamilla and Menehune like this.
  15. teh603

teh603 Member

My wife and I are talking about that? At this point there is no driveway, and I'm going to need to hire someone with a bulldozer to make one. It's a hair under 2 acres worth of central Texas ash juniper and hackberry.

I think hipcamp provides that? But definitely worth checking.