Campsite Power 50a, 30a, 15/20a

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Mississippi, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Mississippi

Mississippi New Member

My daughter is out at her first campout with the new to us popup. I got a call from her and was told the power is not working. I had them plug the circuit analyzer into the 30a outlet and power showed to be good. However, camper would not work. Told them to try the 50a with a doggone with same result. Finally, had them plug into 15/20a with adapter and circuit analyzer, and they have power. Any ideas what is going on? Pic is of the circuit analyzer in use.
    Screenshot_20201016-194610_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Have to ask: did she switch the breaker on at the pedestal for the 30amp or 50amp?

The outlets are actually 50amp, 30amp, and 20amp, not 50amp, 30amp and 120v. Both the 20amp and 30amp are 120v. The 50amp is 240v split into two legs of 120v each.

neighbormike and xxxapache like this.
  3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

By 120 volts do you mean the duplex 15/20 amp outlet. The 30 A and 50 A are also 120 V. Check the breakers in the camper. Tun them off and then on.
    Check the GFCI outlet to see if its tripped.

4. Mississippi

Mississippi New Member

Yes, she tried turning the breakers on and off a few times. What is weird to me, was the circuit analyzer showed the wiring to be good.

5. Mississippi

Mississippi New Member

Yes 15/20 amp. Plugged into the 15/20 amp with adapter and circuit analyzer, lights and plugs work.

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Well you can use it on the 15/20 for now. Please check the analyzer closely. You need to try another power pole. Is there one where your cord will reach?

7. Toedtoes

So, to clarify:

1. She plugged into the 30amp outlet and got no power. She flipped the breaker for the 30amp at the pedestal and still no power. The analyzer shows power coming from the 30amp outlet.

2. Then she plugged into the 50amp outlet with the same results. The analyzer shows power.

3. Then she plugged into the 20amp outlet and got power.

Try turning off the breaker for the 30amp at the pedestal. Plug in. Then flip the pedestal breaker on.

Try cleaning the 30amp plug - it may not be getting a clean connection.

As Tom mentions, she can try hooking up to another pedestal and see if that works.

8. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

There is an old electricians trick to fool a circuit analyzer. Tie the neutral and ground together at the receptacle. Will trip a GFCI though.
    Old power poles don't have a separate ground wire.

9. Mississippi

Mississippi New Member

I will find out from her tomorrow. I think they have gone to bed. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will post the outcome tomorrow.

10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Bad 30amp cord? Is she using the same 30amp cord on all 3 receptacles (just changing adapters), or did she change cords when she went to the 20amp?

11. Toedtoes

That's what I was thinking too. It's possible the plug on the cord isn't making a strong contact too - it might be enough to pull the 20amps but not 30 or more.

12. Mississippi

Mississippi New Member

Same Chord using adapters. They contacted the camp office this morning and was told that they could move sites if they want, but they have not done that. I asked them to stop at another site at some point to see if they can get it to work on the 30a or 50a service. Hopefully I will know more tomorrow. This is her shake out camping trip and first time out without Mom and Dad. So, my info is limited at the moment. Thanks for all the ideas everyone.

13. strangiato

strangiato Active Member Gold Supporting Member

It was also possible that, although the wiring in the pedestal was correct, there was still a problem that was causing it to not deliver enough amperage to run anything. So, although it was delivering 120v, it may have been less than 1 amp of power. I ran into something similar this weekend where the 30A outlet was not working correctly, but the 20A outlet worked fine. My surge suppressor initially lit up to show that the 30A was fine, but none of the 120v outlets worked in the camper. After that, the suppressor would only briefly light up in the 30A. We used the 20A all weekend without issue.

Mississippi likes this.
  14. LarryD.

LarryD. New Member

LED testers can get a false reading by lighting even if there is not enough power to make it work. Most likely the 30 amp breaker is tripped and not being fully reset when she shuts it off. Some require a hard push to off to reset before turning it back on.

15. Mississippi

Mississippi New Member

I think this is what happened with them. I have a 30amp rv adapter coming for my generator and will test the camper later today. The kids did not want to move sites once set up, and forgot to try a different site when leaving on Sunday. They used the 20amp outlet all weekend with no issues also.

strangiato likes this.
  16. Mississippi

Mississippi New Member

Ok, so I think we are good. The adapter came in for me to test the camper using the 30 amp campter cord to the 30 amp output from my generator. Thanks for all the help.

strangiato likes this.