Campsites and Activities Near Duluth

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by pckeen, Apr 21, 2014.

1. pckeen

pckeen New Member

Hi Everyone,

DW and I plus four DK (6, 4, 2, and 9 months) will be spending a couple of days near Duluth in June. We are thinking of staying at Jay Cooke State Park. Any reccomendations for kids activities in and around the Park, and in and around Duluth?

2. lakewood

lakewood New Member

Hanging out in Canal Park by the lake is a must. If its raining there is an Adventure Zone with indooor playground and mini golf. Spirit Mountain has great summer activities. A drive up to Enger Tower is worth it for the view.

3. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

Jay Cooke is your best bet around here I think. The park itself has kids activities often. One being geocaching. MN state parks borrow out GPS'! A few years ago they wouldn't let us in to place them. Great they are promoting it now. There is Northshore Scenic Railroad, Wed nights they have a pizza train and other excursions and a museum. Out west in Duluth is a children's museum. The zoo is ok, never been a favorite of my kids. A freshwater aquarium in canal. The Lakewalk is fun for biking or stretching your legs. There's actually about 120 parks within the city of Duluth and a very active geocaching community. Munger Trail runs out by Jay Cooke if you are bringing bikes. It's very pretty. Alworth Planetarium on the UMD campus, haven't been there in a number of years, so I can't say how it is.

4. superbee73

superbee73 New Member

The Glensheen mansion or the railroad museum are fun. There is an Imax for a movie or the DECC for a sporting or music event. Check the lift bridge website for a schedule of when ships are going through the channel and under the bridge.

5. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

The IMAX is converted I to a very nice regular movie theater. I forgot about Glensheen and I drive by it every day!

6. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

Forgot about the Irvin, a huge Great Lakes ship you can your and the Sundew coast guard cutter. There's the Vista fleet you take boat ride in the bay. Also Toms logging camp east of Duluth towards Two Harbors. Brighton Beach, a long rock beach is out that way too.