Can a CPAP provide an alibi?

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Matt O, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Last night DW and I were in bed and I have my CPAP on in case I fall asleep while watching NCIS. Of course they are interrogating a suspect who was home alone at the time of the murder and nobody can vouch for the suspects whereabouts.

This idea just popped in my head.....my CPAP machine has a card/memory chip that records my use of the machine, times, rates, etc. So if I ever find myself accross the table from Gibbs will my CPAP machine provide me with an "air tight" [::)] alibi?

2. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip New Member

I wouldn't think it would. DOT is talking about making a requirement,and the chip is proof your useing it but wont tell you where your at... but then after i think about it...if you have it on at the time of the murder it will be keeping track of your breathing rate...maybe it will...lol

3. Matt O

It wouldn't show where you were at but it would show that it was in continuous use from say 10pm through 6am with a potty break at 2am :) I would think it could be argued that we weren't robbing the gas station at midnight, unless we were carrying around a battery, the machine, and had the hose hooked up to our face, which would be highly unlikely.

I wonder if our breathing rates have a "signature" that could identify us on the chip.

4. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Matt O: First thought - Wow! That's interesting. Second thought - You need to put in a couple extra hours of CPAP time 'cause oxygen is good! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

Judy
    a/k/a DW of a CPAP Guy who didn't use it last night and I slept on the couch!

5. greatlakers

greatlakers New Member

It's strange, the things that come to your mind with the gentle 'puff - puff' of the CPAP lulling you into a sense of invulnerability in your future life of crime. [:O]
    Remember: They always catch the guy at the end of the show!

6. Matt O

I think I should point out that I do not actually need an alibi..... But if I needed one [;)]

7. yogi

yogi New Member

It would make for a great argument during the trial! [SNZ]

8. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

But.... it would not prove that you were the person wearing the CPAP.

9. mv520

mv520 Member

I assume you have access to change the Date/time on the unit (for daylight savings change for example), so you could have altered the recording times. (I know some DME's lock out for users the ability to change certain features such as pressure, etc., but I'd think setting the date and time would be available to all users?)

And I've seen on some internet forums somewhere CPAP users who reverse engineer the data file formats stored by various mfr's machines so they can write their own analysis software. So once you've cracked the proprietary data file format, you could easily write some s/w to alter the timestamps of the recorded data

So, if I were on the jury, you'd never convince *me* beyond a shadow of a doubt.

10. Matt O

I don't have the ability to change anything on my CPAP. I know the tech adjusted stuff when I picked it up but nothing has been changed since then.

I may not convince you beyond a shadow of a doubt that I didn't do it but will the CPAP provide enough doubt about if I did it.

11. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

That was my first thought reading your post.... Ummm, what is it that you are planning?? Just exactly how DEAR is the D in your DW??

[LOL]

12. bearnbrie

bearnbrie Member

Matt O, maybe you should write the show and give them the idea. Who knows, we might just see it in a future episode.

13. TwistedElvis

TwistedElvis New Member

I say your GUILTY!
    And your PUNISHMENT
    Go camping more this year!!!!!!! [;)]

14. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

I have the software and card reader for mine.I also can adjust it better than the tech at my DME...however I have an APAP so adjustment isn't necessary.Now as far as the alibi goes I don't know but as a murder weapon a CPAP improperly adjusted would be a SOB to find the COD.If the humidifier was cranked way up it could look like drowning...ok I gotta go to bed now...after I check my settings [;)]

15. Matt O

Twisted, I can go camping with my CPAP more this year without electric. I usually plug into my jump pack that will give me 2 short nights. I just bought a cig lighter attachment that clips directly to the battery. I am buying a new deep cycle battery today and will probably get 2 nights off of that as well. I am going to a 3 night car show/flea market without electricity next weekend.

So does anyone know Donald Bellisario's address? I'll drop him a note about my idea [8D]

16. BillG

BillG Go'in fishing

I will be using my CPAP when I start camping this year.

I would think a solar panel might do you a lot of good at a show like you are going to. It should add enough time to the battery in the PUP to keep you going.

I am probably going to buy a small generator to top off with when I go to a CG without a power hookup, but have been looking into solar.

PS, not all CPAPs have a memory card. Mine just stores total hours since reset that it has been in use.

17. Matt O

I had a company function yesterday (3 day legal conference that I had to attend 1 day since technically I work in the legal dept) and I was in a room full of lawyers. This would have been great cocktail conversation but I forgot to bring it up. I know one of the lawyers I work with does use a CPAP and used to litigate so I'm sure he will have an interesting answer. I will have to

18. bob814u

bob814u New Member

Waking up with someone standing over you wearing a CPAP mask and saying "Luke, I am your father." would be enough to kill me laughing. I get the idea that it would be more of a comedy show with the struggle and the strangulation marks around the victims throat matching your CPAP hose. I think they need to have a mask that looks like Darth Vadar's Helmet.

19. blond.geek

blond.geek New Member

First day on this site and first post. [NTBK] Have to add my [2C]
    Tent camping from a small car is no fun with CPAP in the boondocks. [SNZ] I've had to plug in at camp office each day for 5-7 hours to recharge battery pack for the next night. Way too much work. [:(O] Finally, I'm looking to get onto something solid, my very first RV. [yeah]
    Came hear to get some ideas. [RTM] That was my first mistake [:D] if I was trying to hide something!

What a topic to come across. Thanks for laughs ! [LOL] ROFLMAO

Seriously, if that's possible after reading this thread:
    Been thinking of folding camper. Aliner was easy to open and close at dealer. Wonder how much effort to open/close popup for short statured gal with neck injury. [:!]
    Can't figure what to put in search box to get answers. Got help for a Newbie?

20. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Welcome to the Portal, B.G. ! You can put Aliner in the search and see what pops up since there are quite a few Aliner folks on the Portal who can help answer your questions from their own experience, not a dealer's. Just my [2C].