Can a tenter join the ranks?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by kmaxxxx, Apr 11, 2014.

1. kmaxxxx

kmaxxxx New Member

Hi everybody - hope you'll accept a tent camper (for now)!

I grew up camping - the poor man's vacation as my parents call it - I remember tent camping in Wildwood NJ when I was 3 and my brother was an infant. Over the years we had tents, pop-ups, vintage trailers, and my parents ended their camping years in a 32-ft 5th wheel, but it was always awesome. So many of my best memories were made at campgrounds. I had a small TT when my older daughter was young so she grew up with "the bug" and always requested to go camping for her birthday - a girl after my own heart!

Now I'm older, remarried and have a soon-to-be 4-year-old and want him to have those same memories. We don't have a vehicle large enough to tow, and not in the market any time soon, so we're tent camping for now but I still stalk Craigslist for my dream PUP :) I love reading about everyone's experiences on here and hope to join the PUP team in a few years!

We're in Illinois - we are exploring our area including southern WI and central IL and having a blast. I already have the first spring trip planned (can't get out quite as soon in a tent but hey, that's what they make warm sleeping bags for) :)

Thanks for having me!

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. Hanging out here you will get an education on what to look for in a PuP

3. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Welcome from Michigan! Who cares what someone camps in as long as you're camping and making memories!!

4. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

If you really want to get fancy, pick up a small trailer that your TV can carry and get a bigger tent! [:D]

5. corona

corona Member

Hello from LI,NY

6. GeorgeHahnemann

GeorgeHahnemann Active Member

[8D] Welcome from West Central Ohio. [SUN] Happy and Safe Camping. [CP]

7. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

A pup is partly "tent", so we mostly are or were tent campers! [LOL]

Enjoy camping! [:D]

8. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Welcome to you! (With so many X's...I thought you might be banned! [:O] ) [:D]

9. mocamper

mocamper Active Member

Glad to have you. Many of us started or at least been tent camping. Welcome from the show me state.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Welcome, even if you are " just" ground camping, it is all good, as long as you enjoy the outdoors.
    I figure we're still in the tenting ranks, just in a box on wheels that has a fabric upper half. Well, that and a furnace, stove, lights and table. DH still backpacks, and we have a good collection of ground tents we'd use under the right circumstances.

11. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

All campers are welcome! (Even those people who camp in travel trailers [;)])

But you might be surprised that you can actually tow something with the vehicle(s) you currently have and get off the ground if you want. A Quicksilver 6.0 (636 lbs.) can be towed by anything and can sleep 3. The owners of these whom I've run into while camping have been the most enthusiastic owners of any trailer I've met, wanting to show me their trailer and mods they've done (very cool).

Nothing wrong with tents. I sleep in tents for Boy Scouts.

Camping is camping. Just get out there!

12. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

[size=24pt]Hello Ill Tenderfoot

Like all the others have said ... "Welcome to The Site".

Very soon after you read ( and learn ) from this site call your local U-Haul and ask how much is
    and what is the data spec's on a Tow Hitch for the vehicle you are driving.

The Data Spec's listed by all hitch vender's is if you have Brake's On The Trailer
    .[/size]

The Tow Spec's listed in a Owner's Manual is for vehicle's That Do Not Have A Trailer Brake Controller.

13. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Sure, all campers welcome. I still tent camp places that roads are too rough to safely tow my PUP.

14. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

Welcome to the portal from Arkansas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '02 Chevy Suburban
    '99 Coleman Westlake

15. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Many of us former tent campers. This is as much a camping forum as it is a PUP and beyond forum. Welcome to the site. I'd still be tent camping if it weren't for the PNW rains.

16. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

17. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Welcome to you from Colorado, from a recovering tenter. I've been clean for 11 years now and I won't be going back. [PU] [LOL] [LOL]

I just finished renovating a 1990 Coleman Sequoia that I sold to some PUPnewbs. They bought it from me last Saturday and are camping in it, as we type, in Moab, UT. That's pretty courageous IMO.

One type of PUP you could be keeping an eye out for is a Coleman Colorado, which is a pure tent on wheels. They are light and can be towed by most any vehicle. Prices can be pretty reasonable, here's one for sale in MO right now. http://kansascity.craigslist.org/rvs/4418430783.html

18. PhillyTitan

PhillyTitan New Member

Welcome tenter! I am a tenter at heart, but my family isn't (they like A/C and heat).
    Hopefully these peeps in the portal will still accept me after i finish rebuilding my pup into a TT. I have little doubt of their generosity. :)

19. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. I have a pup and a tent and currently use both

20. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

We welcome all who enjoy life out in the woods (or desert, mountains, etc) We have been pup campers for 6 years. I am also still a tent camper and more recently a hammock camper with my sons in Boy Scouts. You have the good fortune of several nice parks around you in S Illinois. Garden of the Gods is one of our favorite places. I grew up hanging out on Lake of Egypt at my Grandparents cabin. There is also lots of backcountry camping in Shawnee National Forest. My tent collection has grown to 7 tents. We only had one when I bought the pup. Our sons tent camp even when we are pup camping and my older son (now a college student) tent camps quite a bit with his friends. I would probably still be a tent camper if my DW has not pushed the issue of wanted a more convenient way to camp. We had a utility 4x8 trailer that we would load up with tents, stoves, etc and head off to all parts of Indiana.