Can a tenter join the ranks?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by kmaxxxx, Apr 11, 2014.

1. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

as they say in the motorcycle forums I belong to....."Anything on two wheels is ok by me" [:D]

2. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

We tent camped for a while when we were younger and now have a basic pop up tent trailer. The tent trailer world can be basic or get pretty elaborate depending on where you want to go with it. We're just getting off the ground with a pup we rehabbed last summer!
    Welcome to the site! We're just south of Chicago hoping to hit Starved Rock SP this summer and other area parks as well. I already figure I'll be running in to other Pop up Portal members :p

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

[:D] Welcome from southeast Connecticut. Glad you stopped by PopUp Portal. [CP]

4. IGYPup

IGYPup New Member

Hello

5. kmaxxxx

kmaxxxx New Member

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome and all the ideas for how to get into a popup a little sooner! I have some research to do... I'll keep you posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Welcome from central IL!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

7. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[HYC] [TV] A great way (from personal experience) is to purchase a small utility trailer to put all your camping items in. I had a 6 person tent with cots, cooler, dormitory refrigerator, 115 volt 1500 watt heater, coleman propane 2 burner stove, plus misc. items. Clothes
    food, etc. That was years ago when wife and I had 2 little ones at home 6 and 8 years old. The little trailer after putting camping stuff away was used to haul dirt, mulch, etc. I had a 6 foot wide x 8 foot long unit and they run about 400.00 today. Rated at 2000 pounds and no brakes.

8. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Welcome to the Portal. Glad to have you. :)

9. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Welcome from northern IL where camping no matter what is the idea! Enjoy your visits here! Come early and come often!

10. JAH

JAH New Member

Welcome from Kansas City - As you can see, all campers, and want-to-be campers are welcome on the portal. Have fun. Enjoy the people, and by all means, ask questions.

11. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

Welcome from WI! We still keep the tent around for back yard camping, kids have a blast!

I see you have a CRV, like the others have already said, you shouldn't have too many problems pulling with it if you decide to look for a pup. Ive seen multiple people on here pull with much smaller cars including me. I saw a pup on craigslist last week that was only 780 lbs dry weight according to nada but they seem to sell very quick.

Here is a link with someone with a similar TV that posted recently.
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=81345.0

12. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

I hadn't noticed that you have a CRV either. We pull our snowmobile with a 2002 CRV. The car has a tow rating of 1500lbs and the sled and trailer weigh in at about 800lbs. I can tell you from our experience that it pulls that trailer with no issues at all. We have regularly climbed over 11,000 ft above sea level, sometimes with 3 adults in the car plus all our gear.

[​IMG]

13. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

where did i put my glasses again? [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

14. cgpotts

cgpotts New Member

Welcome from South Florida. I miss the tent every now and then. However a couple of weeks ago at John Pennekamp SP I was glad to have the PUP when it rained sideways for 3 hours and there was 3 inches of water in the site when it was over. I watched Craig's list for about two years, 4 weeks ago I found a 2005 Fleetwood Colonial for $1500.00 and in great condition. So we dug for change in the couch and bought it.

Welcome again

TV 2013 Dodge Journey
    PUP 2005 Fleetwood Colonial

15. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

[:D] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [;)]

16. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

We tented for many years before getting our first PUP and later our current PUP. We still use the tent when our kids bring extra friends that won't fit in camper. I think most PUP owners tented at one time or another before getting off the ground.... for me part of PUP camping is you still feel like you are in a tent when in the PUP! Love the smell of canvas and unzipping big screen windows! [PU]