can any pup be wired to have a battery?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Fred1diver, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

hey everyone, as the title says, can I add a battery to my old viking?
    planning to go camp for the last open weekend of the season, but the campground we want to go doesn't have electric hookup and it will probably be cold on canadian thanksgiving, so I need power for the heater

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

this is how the dealer or preious owner wired my viking cousin, ring terminals, inline fuse @ batt +, spliced into the charge line that connects to the power center's converter red batt + wire, white wire to chassis common clamp.

batt-1.jpg

my battery sat on a saddle on the a-frame at the front.

batteryHolder.jpg

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

heater - use a gas heater - catalytic type? Not electric.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Mr. Buddy heater.

5. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

hadn't thought of that

6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

flame type heaters are ok to use indoors if precautions are used and equipment is ok - as a youth we had indoor gas radiant heaters using open flame over (inside) a ceramic element - burning "Water gas" - which was a a 50-50 mix of hyrdrogen and carbon monoxide - never a problem - not even a headache. That gas mix burnt great. The same gas was also used in our kitchen stoves

7. NavarWynn

NavarWynn Member

You absolutely can install a battery to run a 12v ceramic heater. However, it's going to kill that battery pretty darn quickly. TBH, You may not even get much more than one morning's worth of heating out of it without charging the battery.

Several folks have suggested a gas heater, and that'd probably work, but I don't like the idea of having to bring a whole separate kind of fuel just to drive a heater. Personally, I'd go with something like this:
    Mr. Heater F215100 MH4B Little Buddy 3800-BTU Indoor Safe Propane Heater, Medium , or, as you said Canadian Thanksgiving, perhaps something like this ;)
    Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Propane Radiant Heater
    - IMO, adding complication only adds complication and dissatisfaction... That's why I like having 1 fuel source for as much as practical. Plus, this is going to be far cheaper and easier than buying and wiring in a battery...

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Let's consider a typical atwood PU heater at less than 4 amps and the surburban even lower.
    Coupled with a typical group 24, 80 ah battery that we will limit to only using 40 ahs.
    That seems to be ~ 10 hrs of use. Consider it does cycle on and off so that 10 hrs of use could be over many days!

9. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

This and it sounds like OP already has a furnace but just needs some 12v power.

I can't help on the how but it does not seem like it would be to hard.

10. Sjm9911

Its always easier when someone elese does it[:D]

Natureangel, J Starsky and lostboy like this.
  11. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

If the heater is already 12v and running off a converter, it should be easy enough to put a marine switch in-line and divert the power to a battery when desired. The positive wires going to "both" go to the heater, the wire going to "1" goes to the original shore power and the number "2" goes to the battery.

Then just splice in a negative wire from the battery to the camper's central ground.

[​IMG]

12. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

Mr. Buddy heater is great. Just get an extension so you can run it off of a 5 gallon Propane tank. Those little bottles don't last all night.

13. NavarWynn

NavarWynn Member

I'm not familiar with this type of heater. Are we talking about an electric heater? one that draws only 4A@12VDC? If so, that wouldn't put out very much heat (~50W), and 50W translates to ~ 150BTU/hr... and on a Canadian Thanksgiving morning? I hope you are planning on getting dressed inside your sleeping bag - cause you will NOT be warm. ;)

The reason I ask is because about the smallest 12v electric heaters I've seen are the little ceramic heaters (like the harbor freight one for the car) and draw about 13A. While a good sized battery bank will certainly supply such for a good long while, a single 80Ah batt isn't, and that is still not going to be adequate to warm the pup in that environment.

A propane heater is the only practical choice in this environment off the grid. Better yet is that propane is the fuel of choice, so already available for most pups. Easy and cheap to tie in / draw off.

I am curious what you are refering too though. Maybe this is a hybrid type? Using the battery for ignition/control/safety cutoff, and propane for fuel?

14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

NavarWynn, I'm referring to the ubiquitous furnaces on PUs that have a 12v fan.

I do not understand why you jumped to the conclusion about a 12v ceramic heater, straight from the blue sky?

This thread is about adding a battery. HTH

15. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

I might have found a compromise, might...
    I found an older honda generator for a good price, read less than a battery.
    do you think it would be a good idea

16. Sjm9911

17. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

Generators are always nice to have. I do mostly boon docking so the noise of the gen won't offend anyone. On my last trip the outside temp was 96 degrees from Noon to 6p.m. I was in a pay campground that time, but I was the only one there. I still think you should install a battery though. And get a Mr. Heater buddy.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  18. NavarWynn

NavarWynn Member

[
    That IS a good price. Assuming it is reliable and has appropriate output capacity, I'm sure it'd work fine, and (presumably) give you enough power to run an electric heater. If not (either reliable, or enough power), then it's not worth anything at all - trust me, getting a 'reluctant' gennie started on a cold morning is NOT enjoyable - though, by the time you are done, you don't really need the heater ;) ...

Long term though, a gennie is annoyingly loud - especially if you have to start it up to get out of bed comfortably (aka before coffee :( ). While the new inverter type gennies are much much much quieter, but they also start around $500 (or double that for a honda ;) ). Once I get the battery pack installed in my TV, I plan on picking up a ~2000W inverter type - quiet enough to carry on a conversation standing over it, but then, our need for power isn't heating, it'd be cooling ;)

That said, a smaller propane heater is likely cheaper, can be turned on while you are in bed (maybe not the best idea ;) ), run inside, and be used as a backup, while still putting out as much or more heat than the biggest electric 120v space heaters...

19. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

Ok , I’ve decided to not go with the genny, going to go with the space heater for this year and going ti wire a battery next year

20. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

Gee I was thinking the same thing. I thought the discussion was about space heaters, not the onboard propane furnace.