can anyone give me a review of summersville lake ,wv

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by pnut4204444, Apr 27, 2012.

1. pnut4204444

pnut4204444 "king of the hill"

wanna plan a weekend out there soon!Any feedback would be appreciated [PU] [PUT]...

2. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Anxious to know how it is also. Been driving through there on our way home to western PA since 1983, when it was a really rural, two lane road! As the saying goes..."build it and they will come."

3. pnut4204444

Ive heard great things from a friend that lives close to there..... [:D]

4. maromeo

maromeo Member

I am not sure if you are talking about the state park or a private campground.
    We stayed at Summersville Lake Retreat campground a couple years ago at the end of June. It is a private campground. It was well maintained and they kept the sites clean and the managers were very pleasant. We had site 7 which backed up to tree lined view. The only downside was the bath house was infested with roaches. They tried hard every day to rid them but couldn't keep up. We would watch them sweep them up by buckets to get rid of them. To this day my DD is still freaked out from them.

Here is a map of the park we stayed.

http://www.summersvillelakeretreat.com/SLR-Map.pdf

Hope this helps.

5. pnut4204444

yes that would be the one,lol we had a similar problem at put in bay but it was the clumsy mayflies that were everywhere at sunset to sunrise and then there was dead mayflies everywhere in the morning..... [:)C] thank you

6. johnsonfamwv

johnsonfamwv New Member

We live about an hour and a half from Summersville Lake and camp there at least one weekend every year. We camp at Battle Run campground. I believe it is owned by the USACE. I would recommend staying here over some of the other campgrounds in the area. It is a very nice campground, right on the lake. It is flat and open and also has a nice beach area for swimming. You may need to make reservations, the campground fills quickly on the weekends. We have personally just camped here in a tent. We are currently in the process of buying our first PUP. Other family members have camped here in RVs and have been pleased with the sites. There is a small store about 1/2 a mile up the road from the campground called "Fat Eddies" that has excellent ice cream and hot dogs. There is a marina approximately 5-10 miles away that rents pontoon boats, fishing boats, and jet skis. The town of Summersville is approximately 10 miles from the campground. There is a Walmart there if you need to make a store run. If you're interested in whitewater rafting and zip lining, the town of Fayetteville is about 20 miles from the campground. I'd recommend spending a day driving around visiting the New River Gorge Bridge, Babcock State Park, and Hawks Nest State Park. All in all it's a nice area. The only bad things I can say is that sometimes people are out on boats late at night making noise and partying, but it is from a distance. The other thing is watch your speed while driving in the area. It is notorious for speed traps. If you have any questions, feel free to message here or email me. I'd be glad to try and help. Have fun!

7. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We stayed down there in March, but stayed in a chalet (who would have thought it would be 80 degrees in March) for a weekend of geocaching in the area. There are a lot of things to see and it is a beautiful area. The lake was quite low that weekend, but it was beautiful. As was said, you need to watch your speed from Summersville to Fayetteville, the police mean business about speeders.

8. mtnmommawv

mtnmommawv "The mountains are calling & I must go" John Muir

I would love to know too. We love Bulltown on Burnsville lake but want a change of scenery. I searched for a few days but couldn't find anything solid to give me evidence enough to book.

9. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Battle Run is the nicest CG in the area...but if you are looking for a peaceful and quiet CG,,look at Holly River SP

11. pnut4204444

Thanks guys,ill be going this summer and post my findings as well. [:)C]

12. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

i was just talking my my bil this past weekend about camping and boating in summersville, i bring the pup and he will bring the boat, is there a hp limit on the lake? or is it open water?

13. handdydaddy

handdydaddy Active Member

14. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

[​IMG]
    View from our camp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk