Can he tow it?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Tboy, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Tboy

Tboy Member

Hi all, buddy of mine is looking to buy a 2006 Coleman Sun Valley his TV is a 2007 Kia Sportage LX 2.7l V6 will he be able to tow it?

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I'd tell him to look in his owners manual for the towing capacity and GVW. Then look on the sticker (usually on the door) of the camper to see what the dry weight is.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I bet the Sun Valley has a gross weight of 3,500 lbs, that a 12 foot box PUP. Without even looking into the Kia numbers, with its soft rear suspension and small size, plus all the other stuff that will carried ..... no way. Just my [2C]

I won't

4. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

I love these threads, they always turn into a heated discussion!

On paper, I would say no. Is it possible to come up with a custom configuration that would allow you to tow that PuP safely? Maybe. It depends on a lot of different things.

I'm basing this on a quick check on the internet that yields a towing capacity of 2000 lbs max for the Sportage and a dry weight of the Sun Valley at ~2100 lbs.

5. papachaz

papachaz New Member

my daughter had a KIA Sportage. while it served her well as basic transportation, i wouldn't have ever even considered towing anything with it.

but, as said, the only way to know for sure is find out what KIA says about this. and yes, a WDH, a sway bar and a trailer braking system, MIGHT enable him to. but i sure wouldn't try it myself

6. airmech2210

airmech2210 Member

Simple answer. No. I have owned a KIA and I have worked as a mechanic at KIA. The Sportage is not designed for towing.

7. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Absolutely not . Might be able to tow it somehow but you'll be blowing engines & transmissions to do it .

8. electronflux

electronflux Member

I have a Sun Valley, the GVW is 3500lbs.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have to join the "No" crowd.

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Fleetwood actually made a few PUs that had a large cargo capacity! 1400+ lbs.

I couldn't round up that much gear/food. Even at 3000 lbs (low profile...) I wouldn't tow it with a 2.7l v6.

11. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Over the years of my membership here and over at PopUpTimes a not all that uncommon mistake of first time popup camper buyers were to end up with too much camper for their tow vehicle to adequately and safely handle. Often it was not that they were not forewarned, it must simply be they were popup camper mesmerized. Wouldn't be so bad if their tow vehicles were going to bare the brunt, but often it's the safety of others at risk.

So, for my short answer ... hell no.

12. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

I say let people do what ever they want, if they can't figure out that their TV is way to small on their own, then let them tear up their tanny and shell out the big bucks to fix it, then they will know they can't. Common sense dictates right off the bat you don't tow a large object with a small tow vehicle. But then again common sense isn't so common anymore.

JJ

13. papachaz

papachaz New Member

just let me know ahead of time so i don't get caught up in the traffic jam while they clear the wreck and airlift the survivors to the hospital

14. rbryer

rbryer New Member

Hi all, I am the buddy in question here. New to the whole towing game so please forgive the ignorance.

The trailer specs are as follows
    Factory dry weight 834 kg (1,838 lbs)
    GVWR is 1,134 kg (2,500 lbs)

And the car has a towing capacity of 2000lbs so is this really a no go?

If its not safe I will not even try. We will just have to accelerate our plans to change the vehicle anyway. Thanks for you answers.

15. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Welcome to the forum :)

I would say

2000lbs is less that 2500lb = Can't safely tow with that vehicle.

Either a smaller pop up or a larger TV ~ sorry

16. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

With real numbers, I'm definitely in the NO crowd. [V]

17. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Hi and welcome to the Portal :) I would say the Kia is not an adequate tow vehicle and here is why:

When car companies post their tow ratings, the standard is with NO cargo in the vehicle and only ONE person, and that one person at only 150 lbs.

Also, the camper "Dry Weight" standards from the manufacturers DO NOT include items such as propane tanks, battery, Air Conditioner, or optional equipment such as Furnace or Water Heater, ect.

So now lets take a look at what you have:

Kia Tow Rating - 2,000
    Subtract 660 People and Cargo (This is about what my wife, 15 yr old son, 11 yr old daughter, myself and cargo weigh)

2,000 - 660 = 1,340

So now you are looking at a 1,340 lb towing capacity which you are already WAY under even the "dry weight" of the Sun Valley. Also, keep in mind that the ACTUAL weight of the Sun Valley will be much more than just 1,838 lbs

Hope this helps you understand a little better why everyone is advising against the Kia as a TV.

18. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

Well I guess I'm going to be the contrarian. [}:)] It could be done, depending on how it's done - that's the key.

Is your friend is willing to keep the load light - under the vehicle's 2,000 lb tow limit, keep the speed down and avoid towing it up or down very steep grades?

Also does your friend plan on towing it short distances on surface streets to the nearest campground, or is he planning on towing it thousands of miles a year at highway speeds in mountainous terrain? My dad wouldn't tow his loaded cattle trailer over 45mph. Is your friend willing to tow it slowly, or is he planning on taking it on the interstate? Not everyone tows the same way.

Is he willing to add trailer brakes, a progressive controller, tranny cooler, a well designed hitch, upgraded suspension components (possible airbags), torsion bars front and rear, upgraded TV brakes and rotors, low profile tires of a higher load range, etc.? Is he willing to send have his engine and transmission tuned for towing by a firm specializing in these mods? Most if not all of the previous modifications (and possible many more) may need to be done to safely tow this camper with his TV depending on his towing style. If your friend is willing to take it to a reputable shop which specializes in towing with small tow vehicles, and which can do the required modifications to improve it's towing safety and reliability, then I'd say go for it! (Note: The required safety mods may cost several thousand dollars, or they may not even be possible on his vehicle, but he won't know for sure till he get's an expert's opinion, not that of some goofus like me handing out free advise over the internet.) [:D]

Remember, this is the most optimistic reply possible, given by someone who has spent thousands on towing mods to get a marginal TV to safely tow a heavier than recommended load. I've done it, but don't recommend doing it unless you have deep pockets, know what you are doing and have plenty of time to get it done right. It's much easier, and frequently cheaper just to get a bigger, more suitable TV.

Chip

19. Tboy

Tboy Member

Holy Crap!!!
    Thanks everyone, They were planing on buying a new TV next year, but it will be sooner now. They are buying the Pup cause it is a great deal.
    Again Thanks to all.

20. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

Welcome rbryer, I also would say no, you have to add to the TV, people, camping equip, ect . So the 2,000#'s towing cap will be reduce to maybe 1,600/1,800#'s. But it is your choice at the end.
    Just be safe and enjoy camping.