Can I add a hitch to the back of my pup

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Pop-N-Fresh, May 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Pop-N-Fresh

Pop-N-Fresh New Member

I have a 1999 Jayco Heritage pup. We are getting ready for our first trip this weekend and in all of my excitement for camping, the pup is pretty much full (including the storage bin on the front). I am wondering if I can add a hitch to my pup so that I can put on one of those cargo carriers on the back to carry a couple of coolers or one of those plastic truck bed storage bins. I still have to store fishing gear, a few more camping items etc. Is this possible?

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I've seen it done before. I tried to do it on my old pup, but the bumper was too light. If you have a square tube bumper, you'll be able to mount a receiver pretty easily. A couple of things to consider though:
    1) Your rear bumper has a weight limit. Be careful not to exceed that.
    2) If you have too much weight on the rear of the pop up, it could make the tongue weight too light, causing sway.

I've also seen a rack welded to the tongue for storage if you have room, but you still have to take tongue weight into consideration.

jnc likes this.
  3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

If your rear bumper is like mine I wouldn’t put the weight of the hitch and rack on it let alone anything else. It needs to be on the frame. And as stated above it could throw off the balance of the tongue My advice is after a couple of trips eliminate all the stuff you packed that you didn’t use.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  4. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put much more than a big PVC pipe or vinyl fence post on the rear bumper. (They're good for fishing poles, sewer hoses, and other lightweight stuff).

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

I wouldn't on my PUP (2003 Rockwood Freedom 1610) as the rear bumper isn't strong enough. The first trip will be the one that you really figure out what you need to take and what doesn't need to come with...

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Nope, the bumper on your trailer is there for little more than show, not to carry any amount of weight. Even if you could, adding weight to the far rear of the trailer will unload the trailer's front hitch weight and easily create a dangerous sway situation.

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

You could weld one to the rear frame rails. Potential sway would still be a problem.

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Welding to the main frame members of a 30' travel trailer weighing 7000+ lbs is one thing, doing the same with a short, lightweight trailer like a popup is just asking for trouble as the effect of unloading the trailer tongue is so great. Yes, you may see some who have done it but without realizing (or admitting) the risks in doing so. Terrible idea with a popup. [XX(]

9. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

My 1984 StarCraft is built like a tank. I would feel fine added a hitch mounted bike rack, but that is about it for me.

Something for the 2000s is built to be a replaced, not outlast my mid 80s model. I don't know if I'd do it, but if I did I'd get a hitch from the junkyard, fasten it with U-bolts (think leaf spring hold downs for a pickup truck) and never weld it on. You might not enjoy it. Watch out for negative tongue weight to rear it's head. Good luck~!

10. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Mary M, theseus, kitphantom and 2 others like this.
  11. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

That is a great video. Tells you all you need to know about "too-much-rear-weight/not-enough-tongue-weight" in just a few seconds.

Mary M likes this.
  12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Is it possible? - yes.

Is it smart? - NO.

13. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I built a drop gate for a utility trailer that had none. I weighed the trailer before and after. The gate greatly reduced the tongue weight. I knew it would sway when running empty. I ended up adding a tongue box to bring the tongue weight back up to where it should be.

jnc likes this.
  14. Pop-N-Fresh

Pop-N-Fresh New Member

Thank you all for your responses. I think I will leave well enough alone, Safety is the priority!

Halford, xxxapache and jnc like this.
  15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Something my folks did way back when I was a youngster was strap a cargo carrier on top of the popup. They just used ratchet straps. Problem...weight is an issue on the popup roof, possible pressure points, and straps could rub against the sides of the pup. We had to take the carrier off when we lifted the roof.

16. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I wouldn't advise it.

Halford likes this.