Can I borrow your pup?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Stevan, Feb 16, 2015.

1. movingparts1

movingparts1 Member

OK, here's the thing. The cost of popups are $1500 for a decent used one to well over $10,000 for a new one. I would never ask someone to borrow one which makes me wonder... Who the heck would?

2. elizabeth583

elizabeth583 Member

OP, I hope you can find a graceful way to say "no" or a way to say "yes" that leaves you feeling comfortable. Some great suggestions on here re doing the towing and set up for your parents.

I'd never lend ours out. I'd better check with DH, but am pretty sure he feels the same way.

3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

To me it is like asking to borrow your bedroom. It would have to be family.

4. pckeen

pckeen New Member

Now that might be going just a little too far. Besides, have you looked at the restoration threads recently? Someone on here would just dig you up and restore it. [LOL]

5. hahahamilton

hahahamilton Member

Did it once and will never do it again. Nothing went wrong but I just was bothered by it too much the whole time. My way of living is that if I want or need something, I will either buy it or rent it myself.

6. 4campers+g-kids

4campers+g-kids Member

Ha ha, I've thought of getting buried in our pup. Now that idea is out!!

LOL

7. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

I vow every time to print out a checklist for exactly these reasons!!

The one item I see missing above is the borrower forgetting to dump and clean the cassette toilet! [:D]

8. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Family wants to borrow our camping equipment? We keep a nice tent and some cots for an emergency of this type. [CP]

9. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

For me this would depend on the equipment and the person I'm loaning it to. My sisters and their husbands are fairly responsible, so I wouldn't mind loaning some things to them...but I live so far away they would never ask, plus they're all engineers so they can afford anything they may borrow. DW's sister is a whole different matter. We probably would "loan" some small things fully expecting to never see them again.

You really have to ask yourself what type of person the family members who have asked you are.

10. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

I would have to say that you need to consider who is borrowing it and why they are borrowing it. I had asked my parents to borrow their pup to see if my family would even enjoy camping in a pup, see what size of camper that we would need to fit all 6 of us plus our gear, and to see what creature comforts (AC, pottie,etc) we needed/ desired. We had a TV but it wasn't set up to tow at the time so I asked if they could drop it off and show us how to set it up. We had a great weekend and everything went fine. That being said I knew that if I broke it I bought it (exact words from my parents to me) and I was worried the entire weekend that something would break.
    So if they are reliable, trustworthy, and are really interested in starting to pup camp then have that discussion and if they are willing to abide by the rules then I say go for it but still it's your pup and your choice to make.

11. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

To me the answer is simple....

No... [LOL]

12. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Most of my friends and family aren't really into the camping thing, so I doubt they would ask. However, none of my toys are top-notch and worth a great deal of money, so I don't think its that big of a deal if something were borrowed and problems developed. I look at it this way.......I work hard for what I have, and I know others do too. I can't afford to buy everything that interests me and I'm extremely grateful when others include my family when they can afford to splurge on us (movies, dinner, vacations, etc). Given that, I'm happy to help entertain friends and family who may not be as fortunate as I am, or are interested in the hobby. This goes for my ski boat, ATVs, dirtbikes, and yes...the Pup. No single toy is worth more that $1500, and to me, that's not a great deal of money to lose friends and family over. If its broke, help me fix it if you're able. Maybe I'm generous, but I don't feel like anyone has taken advantage of me yet. Here's an example:

My buddy's family and financial situation is very similar to mine. He makes an "ok" living and loves to play outside with his kids. But, like me, he can't afford every toy he sees. So,we went into a partnership this last winter and decided to try the world of snowmobiling together. We both have our own tow vehicles and have years of experience towing. So, we picked out 2 different sleds, and I donated my small flatbed trailer and traded up for a bigger one. We shared all costs, including the purchase price, parts and maintenance. We are both capable mechanics and trust each others' judgements. Thats not to say we don't make mistakes that occasionally end up costing us. But, thats the price you pay when playing. We've all made mistakes that we (hopefully) learn from. We both have acreage, so storage is not a concern at either house. Neither one of us can afford to have each family member on their own bike/ATV/sled, so we borrow from each other all the time in order to make this happen. He has yet to take me up on the offer for my boat or Pup, but they love to play in the water and love to tent camp, so its only a matter of time. I have no problem with it at all. If it were anybody else or if the toys were brand-spankin' new, I might hesitate a little. Guess it totally depends on the individual circumstances.

13. SamuraiMarine

SamuraiMarine New Member

This is kinda funny. I just got my 1984 StarFlyer and am starting to restore it and have been asked by a couple people if they could borrow it when I am done. Sorry... with the money and time I am going to put into this... HECK NO!!! That is what I would tell you to tell the people asking.

14. Buckeyepopup

Buckeyepopup New Member

Only to my brother. He is a professional mechanic and does most of the mechanical repairs and repairs to the tow vehicle. Over the last couple of years he has saved me a couple thousand dollars if truck repairs.

15. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Yea, you can borrow it.....for $8000! [:D] (our whatever price you would feel comfortable with them damaging it)!

16. GtStricky

GtStricky Member

I will take some where, set it up, and let someone ues it for the weekend. (fairly local)

I will not let them tow it or try to set it up. Heck I seem to do it wrong every time how can I expect them to get it right.

17. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

No, I would not loan my PUP to anyone. We had an older pup when we were first married, and the roof rotted out. We waited a long time before we bought out new PUP in 2012.

I normally wouldn't loan my cars to anyone, but last Fall my brother's pick up was acting up and it was a few days before he could get it in the shop. I was going into the hospital for surgery and would be there for 5 days. so I let him take my Jeep home, instead of leaving it outside.

18. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Cars, quads, truck yes. Popup hell no. It was a slide out model thus damage to tenting was easy both at opening and closing. Hybrid yes if own capable truck and brake controller. Cable strung tent ends. If you can't place the Tent pole you have some issues. I have had young kids bounce around in it and nothing broke. I remember my 2 year old wiping dawn dish detergent on her tent end in the pup. No chance of any of that or worse with current hybrid

19. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I do not loan 1: my wife, 2: my squirrel dogs, 3: my guns, 4: my fishing gear and 5: anything I own that has wheels. Not necessarily in that order

20. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

We have set it up at family functions and allowed relatives to sleep in it without us... but we would never let anyone take it and set it up and use it on their own... too expensive... and with short summers here... every time it is set up at a campsite it better have us in it! lol