can i change the plug end and will i get 50 amps

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by jyoung015, Sep 6, 2013.

1. jyoung015

jyoung015 New Member

thanks all you guys and gals i read each and every one of your replies and i put a new 30 amp plug on and purchased a 30 to 50 amp adapter

2. jyoung015

jyoung015 New Member

speckhunter80 some of us have jobs that we have to go to every day and some of them take us out of town so we can not spend every minuate readind and posting but thanks for the FYI and no i did cut the old plug off but installed a new 30 amp weather proof and thank you to all the other great people and there helpful answers

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Since doing it is the same as using an adapter, I'm sure you'll suggest using an adapter might kill ya?

4. jyoung015

jyoung015 New Member

than maybe someone can tell me what you do when all the camp groungd has is a 50 amp electric service and if you are not suppose to use the adapters why are they sold and ul aproved

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You are referring to the peak to peak level. This is way off topic.

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I was refering the 130v and other drivel that came before my post, please suggest they are off topic also!
    like:
    V_{RMS} = 0.71 * V_{PEAK} = 1.11 * V_{AVG}

So cutting the 30A plug off and adding a 50A can be the same as using an adapter and one will die?

7. tombiasi

They were off topic. And my comment wasn't directed to you alone in a nasty way just using the chance to remind all of the original topic.

8. kpic

kpic New Member

@jyoung015
    If the adapter is UL approved it is OK.

The formula was to explain unless you spent a real lot of money or using a scope, your meter does not read RMS. The people who make multimeters use the formula. [:D]

Again, yes people have them with UL stickers which means safe and does not mean change the end on a 130v @ 30a

You make a statement, someone answers it, and later it becomes drivel?

I thought your meter "meter reads RMS and not peak or average or instantaneous!!!"

So for the record, what does it read? [?:~{] [?:~{]

9. timothias

timothias New Member

Well, that escalated quickly. Where's my popcorn?

10. tombiasi

It happens. Sometime people see things in the written word that were not intended by the writer. And sometimes they were intended by the writer :)

11. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

I haven't seen a CG with only 50 amp receptacles, but there's probably some out there. I'd make certain that my adapter was protected at 30 amps and GFCI, if available. I've never researched them, so I don't know what's out there.

You don't have to accept any of the opinions stated here. They're just opinions. If they make sense to you, accept them. If not, reject them. That is the great thing about any forum and the worst thing about any forum at the same time. Lots of opinions, but you still have to decide what to do with 'em.

If UL approval and the fact that they are sold at various stores is evidence of safety for you, then accept it and sleep well. I'm sure that many people do with no issues. But, before you accept UL approval as evidence of total and unquestionable safety, isn't it worth a bit of research to understand what UL approval means and if they consider a fault > the rating of the subject device in their evaluation?

Just my opinion,
    JR

12. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

WOW, a lot went on while I was typing. Guess I need better typing skills.

Regarding RMS readings on DMM's...Most meters assume you are reading a sine wave and use the Vrms = Vpeak*0.7071 equation. This equation is true only for sine waveforms like AC household voltage. However, meters are available that read True RMS and are usually labeled as such. I have one because I use it on waveforms other than sine waves.

Just my opinion,
    JR

13. tombiasi

I also have some and I am also an EE. Still getting away from the topic aren't we?

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

A few of our Provincial Parks have 50A/15A only sites ... with the pup I would just plug into the 15a plug and watch what items were used in combination, so not to trip anything ... with the TT, there is no choice but to use the dogbone 50A/30A ,...

15. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

IF YOU CHANGE THE 30 AMP PLUG TO A 50 AMP PLUG WITHOUT CHANGE YOUR PUPS WIRING YOU WILL GET A FIRE.
    if you want to plug into a 50amp outlet and plug into your 30 amp pup then you need the adapter
    it is 50-30 not 30-50 people or 30-15. please do not get this confused. if you go 30-50 you will not get 50 if only 30 is coming out.

16. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

OK, to summarize:

You pull into a site that has only a 50amp service. You pull out your 50-30 adapter that accepts your 30amp plug from your pup and fits into the 50amp service outlet. As stated by most, this is good and acceptable (if UL approved adapter).

If you are wanting to, you could change your 30amp plug out for a 50amp plug, wired correctly to deliver 120v to your pup.

Now, n2cruzn confuses me. You state that doing the second option will cause a problem because the wire from the service to your pup is too small and a fault in that wire will cause it to go up in smoke. How is this different then the first option (using the adapter)??? Same issue in my mind.

The service breaker will deliver up to 50amps regardless of using an adapter or a new plug.

The pup is protected by it's main breaker - I think you all agree with that, right?

SO, in short (no pun intended), only replace a 30amp plug with a 30amp plug and a 50 with a 50. Don't pretend to be an electrician and figure out a short-cut.

17. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

ljohn, read what he wants to do. remove 30amp plug and change it to a 50

18. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

HE HAS DONE IT...IT IS OVER...HE PUT A 30 AMP PLUG ON IT....HE BOUGHT AN ADAPTER FOR 50 AMPS...STOP THE INSANITY!!!

19. jyoung015

jyoung015 New Member

yes thanks for all the help i put a 30 amp plug back on and am using a 50-30 amp gfi adapter at rthe cg.

20. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Will the arching at the PU's 30A breaker/wire that is loose be more or less plugged into 14-50R via adapter (or directly, 14-50P) vs a TT-30R?