Can I do this?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Single mom of 2, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Single mom of 2

Single mom of 2 New Member

I am a single mom with 2 sons and a grandson. My youngest is almost 7 and my grandson is 5 months old. (my boys are 15 yrs apart in age). I am wanting to purchase a small popup and remodel it but I'm now doubting myself if I can do this. Am I going to be able to set this thing up by myself? My youngest son, Wyatt, will be with me every time and when my grandson gets bigger he would go with us some. Wyatt will help me in anyway he can because that is just the way he is. Any single females camp with a popup and have no help? Can it be done?

1380ken likes this.
  2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

From this 68 year old, "Yes you can" do it, a lot of folks on this forum can walk you through it in print, and I'll bet there a a lot of videos. It takes some patience to learn a few things, but none if it is complicated nor is it beyond the grasp of an average IQ. If you buy an ALiner - make sure that the roof goes up easy (if not - the springs may be weak, and avoid it)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Yes, it can be done. I'm single female and brought my little side kick often when she was younger. She was a hindrance at times and a great helper on others. She loves camping as much as I do, athough it had to have some critical pieces which did limit me to where I can go with her.;) Closing up to go home was where I learned to never have anything planned on that day. She would do everything in her power to delay leaving. [}:)]. However seeing her run around, swimming, climbing was so worth it. Even now at 16 she still likes to camp, although her
    other love, cheerleading, is preventing her from going with me now.
    Set up did land almost entirely on me when she was younger, but as she got older she was more able to help with some parts of set up. Now she can do just about every part of set up except she doesn't have the strength to lift the Gally sink by herself and putting the shepherd poles in is a huge struggle for her. It does take upper body strength to do many parts of set up and for some it can be difficult.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

There is a bit of physical effort involved, but not so much than any healthy (ish) adult shouldn't be able to handle it on their own! Do your research and see what might fit your needs. I think the best advice would be to make sure you're not buying something that needs a ton of work. These things are built flimsy to begin with and many options on the used side of things have been battered by the weather over the years, even if not used often for camping. Wood gets soft and areas that should remain dry get wet. Don't buy something that looks like it has leaked! Check the roof, floor and walls for soft spots. Dont let someone convince you that it only leaked a little bit and its all fixed now!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I'm not female but I camp with my 2 kids all the time. I give them a step or two to "help" with set up and take down. For instant my 4 year gets the joy of pulling out the power chord. Usually by the time that is finished I have the rest of the pup up and ready for her to go inside and "help".

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Econ

Econ Active Member

First define what "remodeling" means. Are you changing curtains or are you rebuilding a cabinet? If you can't do it what is plan B?

Assess your skills. Are you capable of repairing plumbing if given knowledge by the collective? There are some people who have no mechanical skills.

Campers break frequently. Are you prepared?

7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

Your question should be, "Why Can't I do this"? If you have the skills to remodel, use them. If you don't have the skill, learn them. You are raising multiple children. There aren't many things in life more difficult than that. You may also find that a pup remodel will give you some nice little breaks from raising the kids.

hq308, Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  8. Single mom of 2

Single mom of 2 New Member

New curtains, new flooring, painting cabinets, new upholstery on the seats. If I can remodel my bathroom by myself i know i can do a popup. My problem is the setting up and taking down part at the campsites by myself. :)

Sjm9911 and bheff like this.
  9. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

It is really quiet easy, especially if you find one with a Electric lift.

10. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Welcome to PopUpPortal

11. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Welcome from Pittsburgh. Good luck with your decision , I think you would be fine with setting up a camper. Just a matter of following certain steps, after you do it a few times it becomes muscle memory, buy your camper and take your time and learn how things work Usually somebody in a campground would offer you assistance. Especially if they see you struggling I know I would! You can do this!

Single mom of 2 likes this.
  12. p

p Active Member

I sometimes have a bad back....and with the family "helping"....I still get it done.

13. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia

14. Econ

Econ Active Member

That is new information. If you can remodel a bath you should have the skill set needed to do a lot of remodeling and repairs if given the proper information. I speculate you can be taught how to erect a soft sided popup and also basic camp set up. Sorry I can't help you with erecting a soft sided popup. My knowledge of that is limited.

All I wanted to make sure of is you went into this with realistic expectations. You have to decide if you are up to it.

If you get an "A" frame, call....

15. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

Don't sell yourself short. It's not rocket science. Get out there and enjoy the outdoors.

16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Check out youtube and watch a couple videos on setting up a popup. You'll know by watching if it's something you'd be comfortable doing.

Then go for it.

17. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

It all boils down to your mindset and physical ability. Your Avatar gives me the impression that you are active and can do this.
    New adventures are awaiting you.

18. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

I think if I were you I'd make sure that your camper selection has an electric winch for raising the top. I'll be 74 years-old on December 6th. My cousin has a camper with a hand-crank winch. When I helped him set up on one of our trips, I had to do the cranking. I had to stop and take a short rest about every quarter of the way up. I am perhaps a little out of shape. You will learn a new little trick every time you go out. I just got back from a three day trip. I learned that there are a lot of things I packed that I don't really need. I also learned a new routine for setting up and taking down. After a year and a half of Popup ownership, I think this was the best trip I have been on as far as dealing with the pup goes. I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of it.

19. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    There are some single ladies on here that camp in a PUP with their children. It isn't excessively demanding physically.

20. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. Know of a lady that camped with four kids. Husband was heavy military, and still is, and rarely went with them. She always found help at the campgrounds for backing in and setup, if needed. She laughs about all the adventures they had.