Can I fold down camper with pillows and bedding on bed?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Thumplover, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Thumplover

Thumplover New Member

I am a new owner and a new member of this forum. Going on our "shake-down" cruise to Colorado in 2 weeks. I was wondering if I could crank down the camper with all the bedding and pillows on the bed. I have a 2015 Rockwood HW 277.

2. TRR

TRR Active Member

Try it. It will either close where you can latch it down, or it won't. On my Taos there's not much extra space between the bed and roof so pillows can't stay on the bed when popped down. But your camper may be roomier. If it won't latch down, no harm done. Raise the roof back up and remove the excess thickness. Then you'll know for next time.

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

One way to determine how much room you have between the surface of the bed and the inside of the roof is to use the kleenex box test. Put an empty kleenex box on the bed and pop the trailer down. Then raise the roof and retrieve the box. If it hasn't been crushed you have at least the height of the box. It it has been pushed down measure its height in the smashed down condition. You have that much space to use. Then you can determine if the thickness of your bedding will fit. In general, many people find that sheets and a few blankets work but the pillows won't. For me, being able to leave a made-up bed in place while traveling is one of the great advantages of my popup trailer.

4. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

We have the same model as you, a hw 277. Ours is a bit older, year is 2010. we can keep the bedding on but did not try to keep the pillows on. We just throw the pillows on the dinette.
    When we went on a long trip with a lot of one nighters, we were also able to keep suitcases on the dinette as well. Worked well for us.

5. mhrir

mhrir Guest

We have a 2013 HW 257 and added a 2" mattress topper to the big bed. Roof would not close. So it now lives folded on the dinette when stored. Pillows might fit if kept towards the center of the trailer. But then you have the screen door to contend with on the front bunk.

The arched roof limits the clearance at the ends.

6. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

You will have to try it to know. I am able to close my 09 Palomino with bedding but do not keep pillows on the bed. I have to pull down on the roof by hand to get it to latch but it works.

7. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

One trick I use is to fold the blankets and put them in the middle of the bed towards the inside. This allows additional folding room along the outside edges for the canvas.

8. G. Will Ickers

G. Will Ickers New Member

I keep a mattress cover, egg crate, and comforter on the beds. Pillows go on the benches.
    The comforter, however, must be as thin as possible. I only fold it once.

9. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

Welcome to the portal, only one way really to find out......

10. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We leave the comforter and some light blankets on the bed when close down. I would not want to leave pillows unless you want to sleep on pancakes [SNZ]

11. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

With mine closed up but travel door open, I can reach my hand up inside and feel the space right there between the top of the bed and the ceiling. It's not much, enough for some sheets, but not pillows.

12. sallyannie75

sallyannie75 New Member

I have memory foam mattress toppers on mine. I have to lower the roof and then let is settle a bit before latching it down. It's a snug fit, but having to move the toppers would be a pain.

13. minicamperbeth

minicamperbeth New Member

How many inches high are your toppers? And what kind of PUP do you have? I want to get toppers and, of course, hope to leave them and the bedding on when closing up.

14. Troutfishing

Troutfishing Member

I would agree with "nomorecoop" , bedding might work laying flat, but make sure pillows are to the inside, so you have room for the folded canvas ends on the outer ends.

15. sallyannie75

sallyannie75 New Member

I think mine were originally 3 inch toppers but are now slightly broken down because they came off of our beds in the house after a few years of use. I have a Palomino Pinto. I leave the toppers on but no other bedding. It's sometimes a tight fit and I have to adjust the clamps to get it to latch. Once it "settles" and some of the air is pushed out of the foam I can tighten the latched back up so the top of the pup is completely sealed tight.