Can I hook my 30 amp PUP into a 50 amp power source?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Trackside, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Trackside

Trackside New Member

Can't say I've ever camped with hookups before. I have a '08 Coleman E1 and wondered if I can use the 50 amp power source at a camp site with an adapter or do I have to find a site with 30 amps or less?

Thanks in advance.

2. jamesmc321

jamesmc321 Member

you can use an adaptor... it'll work much like plugging 30amp into 15 or 20amp service... the line is what is regulating the power amount

30amp (PUP)
    - plug into 15amp at CG... you try to use full 30amps, will blow fuse on CG pole
    - plug 30amp into 50 amp CG ... you overload your PUP.. blow your own fuse (CG's will be fine)

Basically either the PUP or the CG will regulate how much power you can use. (guess no home theater systems, microwaves, A/C units and toaster ovens going at the same time [:D])

3. Trackside

Trackside New Member

OK makes sense, so as long as I don't use more than 30 amps while plugged into 50 amps then I'm OK. Thats kind of what I figured, but I wasn't sure if that would screw my inverter up. Thanks for your help.

4. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

You can plug your 30 Amp cord into a 50 Amp service (with an adapter) without any adverse effect.

I guess the easiest way to explain this is Amps is the amount of power that can be drawn from a circuit at any given time. If you are hooked to a 15 Amp service and an appliance draws 30amps it will kick the breaker. If you are hooked into a 50 amp circuit with the same appliance you will have 20 additional amps available to run additional appliances. Whether you are on 15, 30, or 50 amp service they are all limited to 110 volts.

5. Luv2hikeAR

Luv2hikeAR New Member

Most power poles that I've encountered with 50-amp service have receptacles for both 30 and 50.

6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

The plugs on a 50amp and 30amp service are sightly different. 50 has one more blade (4 total) than the 30 amp (3 total). A high quality adapter will take one of those circuits out of the equation effectively giving you 30 amp service.

7. fix_it

fix_it Member

It will not mess up your inverter no matter what you plug into. In fact, you probably don't have one anyway. An inverter is used to convert battery power to 120 volts for running household appliances when no hookups are available. The converter is what converts 120 volts to 12 volts to run your done lights.

8. dackley

dackley 1999 Jayco Heritage Laurel with popout

your rv has a converter not inverter. [2C] [2C]