Can I pull a 2700Lb Hybrid TT with a Minivan?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JR71, Feb 17, 2021.

1. JR71

JR71 New Member

Hi all, just wondering if you guys think its ok for me to pull a Hybrid Trailer ( its a KZ Spree Escape E18RBT) with a dry weight of 2700lbs with my Toyota Sienna Minivan which is rated to tow upto 3500lbs? The Hybrid does have electric brakes so let me know your thoughts if this is ok or something I should avoid? thanks for your opinions.

2. p

p Active Member

Simply...nope.

Not even down hill...with a wind at your back.

Sorry.

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

I would not even attempt it! I have seen mini vans pulling small TT and it looks as scary as it sounds!!! For the few we saw doing it, the hitch was not far off the ground!

4. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Not a chance , a small popup maybe

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Nope. And remember dry is just that nothing in it. Add up all the extras. Off the lot it will be probably 3000 or more then add in your stuff. So always figure the max weight when towing. Water, propane, ac, awning, etc all add up.

6. Beatrice

Beatrice Member

I agree with everybody else so far...I wouldn't do it, and I do dumb stuff all the time...

7. JR71

JR71 New Member

Thanks for the opinions so far. I’m very surprised by your responses? I’ll have to play a little devils advocate. The hybrid weighs 2700lbs and me the wife and kids with gear would be max 600-700lbs more. Thus we would be around 3400lbs max in weight and the Sienna can tow 3500lbs so why is everyone saying don’t do it?

8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Does the Sienna have a frontal area limit for trailers? Confirm that you aren't exceeding it.

Also, don't make your family ride in the trailer.

9. JR71

JR71 New Member

OMG of course the family wouldn’t ride in the trailer !!! Max tongue weight sienna can handle is 350lbs and this hybrid is within that limit

10. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

You'd probably find the camper to be heavier than the listed "dry weight". I think you would have great difficulty staying within limits. Our new to us hybrid is within the limits of our minivan, but I don't plan to tow it with the minivan. In a pinch I would for a short distance, but on a regular basis would be hard on it. My TV is rated for over double the max limit of our camper. The wind drag from a TT or hybrid is a lot of the strain. There are a lot of PUPs and teardrops more suited for towing with a minivan. There are a few really light weight small TTs and hybrids that may work, but they aren't going to have a lot of room.

cyclop5 likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Did you add on the weight of the propane tank? And the propane? The air conditioner? Awning? Fridge? Heater? Water heater? Etc. Those are not included in the dry weight of the camper. The hybrid is 2700 lbs striped. You have to add in all the other stuff. And water and waste at 8.3 lbs a gallon.

Spartacus likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

The toung on your spree is listed at 350. Ot will be heavier with anything else added.

13. p

p Active Member

I pulled a 2200lb trailer from Calgary to Vancouver a couple times. I can feel that I would not add anymore to my weight. Stopping on big hills is sketchy and I easily ground out on road bumps.

14. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

What's the payload of the van? Pretty sure tongue weigh goes against that. You will find that weight adds up really fast. Propane, battery, food, clothes, cooking supplies, hygiene products, toy/games for kids, and as you go the list grows. That 800 lbs is used up before you know it. On paper it's doable, but you be riding a fine line that will be crossed easily.

Spartacus and Mongo71 like this.
  15. Sjm9911

If it was a pup maybe , but its a TT . Way too much drag. Hell my kz isnt much heavier, and towing it with a 10 year old full size pick up was sketchy on the hyway.

bols2Dawall likes this.
  16. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Rather than dealing with emotions let’s look at the science and engineering here. What year Sienna? Toyota has been using the SAE J2807 spec for rating towing capacity for several years now. This is the same spec the big trucks follow. Here is what all goes into that spec http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard

Do you have a GCWR listed in the manual? Our 2016 has a GCWR of 8900 lbs (8990 for AWD) and a curb weight of 4560, so it would take 860 lbs of people and cargo to even start reducing the towing capacity. So in your case the family wouldn’t even count against your towing capacity. The power train is shared with the Highlander where it’s rated at 5,000 lbs towing, so that definitely isn’t the weak link.

The real limiting factor here would be the tongue weight since it has a dry tongue weight of 350 lbs, which is already at the limit of most weight carrying hitches for the Sienna. Some do go higher, but you wouldn’t want to go over 350 anyway as it would remove too much weight from the front axle. If your hitch can use a WDH you may be able to get by. Not all of them can. The Curt I installed on ours can go up to 525 lbs tongue weight with a WDH. Toyota doesn’t limit the tongue weight.

So if I use your numbers on our 2016 FWD XLE:
    Check GCWR: 4560+3500 (GVWR of the hybrid)+700=8760<8900
    Check GVWR: 4560+ 500 (assumed loaded tongue weight) + 700=5760<5995

Then the WDH would need to be setup correctly to distribute the load across both axles. Without that you could overload the rear axle and make the front too light.

So yes, with a properly setup WDH and careful packing, you could tow it. Now, realistically, it’s right up against the limits so it probably wouldn’t be the most comfortable tow and you’d have to be really careful not to take too much junk. People just like to freak out over minivans and have irrational fears about them without actually looking at the engineering. Manufacturers love that because then they get to scare people into that shiny expensive SUV next to it on the lot (that shares most if it’s bones with the minivan) and its high profit margin. ;)

17. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I read that as you putting your family in the trailer because you implied they counted against the 3500 lb tow rating. They don't, unless they ride in the trailer.

Have the trailer weighed before buying it. That should clear up a lot of questions.

Spartacus likes this.
  18. Sjm9911

Dont forget to add in the weight of the wdh. So another 100 lbs or did you add that in allready? I dont think anyone is freaking out, or saying you can not tow with a mini van. Just that you cant tow that TT with that mini van.

Coulter Wood and EdinMI like this.
  19. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

The greater the difference between the tow rating numbers and the actual numbers, the lower the pucker factor. I always want my dog to be bigger than the tail.

BillyMc likes this.
  20. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Experience tells us not all weight is the same. A low trailer with minimum front surface area is a much different issue than a tall wide sheet. Going isn't as big of an issue as is stopping.

You will be maxing out your vehicle's capability. That leaves you little margin in an emergency. The difference in that situation will be your experience and skills as a driver. Only you can look at your family and decide if it is safe.

I've towed trailers of various lengths and styles for about 100,000 miles, probably more. From sea shores to mountains. Personally, I find comfort diminishes at about 75% of capacity. The ride is harsher, winds are more noticeable, and I grip the wheel a little tighter when a semi passes. It takes a lot of enjoyment out traveling.

Coulter Wood, cyclop5 and bdr129 like this.