Can I replace 13" wheels with 14" ???

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Snow, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Ok, so heres the poop.. My Pal currently has ST185/75D 13 (1660 lbs per tire) tires on it, I am having a hell of a time trying to find some place (other then a stealership) to buy replacements. Most of the ones I have found are only good for load range "C", my pup need's "D". I have found several places with ST185/80D 14 Which are also load range "C" but have a higher rating of 1660 lbs plus . These come with rims as a complete assembly so I'd have to replace all 3 wheels. My question is will the 14" assemblies fit on the axle (hub) ???

2. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

I too am having the same problem,I currently have the st 175/80 D 13 load range D tires and in all my searching I did happen to find a tire shop that can get me a set of ST 185/80 D 13 with a load range D with a 1700# weight limit(thank God,I've spent about a week constantly on the phone looking for these.) Our Viking is a stout 3280# GVWR and thought that all was lost.But this tire shop did find us a set made by Shur-trail(that may not be spelled right)they are on order and I should have them on Monday. My only concerns about the 14 inch ones would be your bolt pattern on the pup and your clearance issues between the top of the tires and the bottom of the pup.My tires are gonna be a bit pricey though coming in at a whopping $87.00 with the mounting,but all-in-all worth it.

3. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

As long as the bolt pattern and hub diameter is the same then yes, they will mount on the camper, however as mentioned you need to be concerned with clearances, in particular between the top of the tire and the wheel well.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Ok here's the figures. Currently ST185/80D13 Load Range D, 1660lbs per tire, the ones I'm looking at are 14" ST205/75 D, Load Range C, 1760 lbs per tire.

5. my3kids

my3kids New Member

Craig,

Your ST185/80D13s are roughly 24.6in in diameter. Going to ST205/75D14s will be roughly 26.1 in in diameter. If you have ample wheel well space to cover the (26.1-24.6)/2 increase and stay with a 5in wide rim then on paper it looks like it may work. The tire width would increase from about 7.3 to 8.1 inches. You also drop revs/mile from about 844 to 796.

I've been contemplating this same upgrade but haven't had time to measure my wheel well clearances. If it looks like I do then I'd probably go with the 14s when it comes time to replace my current 13s. Going 14s gives two immediate benefits, a slightly higher ride height which is mostly good and 205/75-14s are way more common to locate. Those D-range 13s are not the easiest to hunt down.

With respect to D-range tires, I found a couple of places that will also sell you a similar rated wheel (1660lbs) for about $85.00 plus shipping. I don't have the specifics right now but I can dig them out if you'd like. Be careful to order the same rated wheel, most are only rated at 1360lbs.

Like you my pup is heavy, about 3000lbs dry. Two tires at 1660lbs minus the roughly 350lbs tongue weight doesn't leave too much for packing and fluids. My Saratoga can carry over 20 gals of fresh water plus the same amount in grey water and some black water so I've been looking at upgrading for awhile.

Hope this helps™,
    Ray + lovely wife + our 3 kids
    07 Fleetwood Saratoga

6. Tekboy46

Tekboy46 Member

Northern Tool has your 13's, load range D 1660 lbs., on sale for 99.00 plust shipping... Martin Wheel brand. This is a tire and wheel combo with a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. Their shipping calculator is on the fritz so I don't know what the shipping would be. This would be one way you could get 8 ply rated tires and wheels in your original 13 size.

http://www2.northerntool.com/tires-wheels/high-speed-trailer-tires-wheels/item-13960.htm

7. my3kids

my3kids New Member

FYI, if you're still looking for ST185/80-D13 in a D-range go www.trailertiresandwheels.com. Its a TowMaster II and costs $50.00 Matching load wheel in basic white spoke is only $27.00.

Another place is www.kmtparts.com. They show a noname ST185/80-D13 in a D-range tire for $58.00 and a matching load wheel in basic white spoke for $20.00.

Hope this helps™,
    Ray + lovely wife + our 3 kids
    07 Fleetwood Saratoga

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Thanks, Trying to stay some what local to avoid customs charges at the border.. But so far no luck, have a few places to call, if its going to cost $100 for the tires up here I just may order them from down South.

9. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

Craig,
    I can't remember just off hand where you are located, but have you treied Frisby Tire in Ottawa? They have several locations in Ottawa and I have had good luck with them in the past for hard to find tire sizes and load ratings.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I can't beleive its almost IMPOSSIBLE to find ST185/80d13 load range D tires in Canada. So far I've called 14 retailers and suppliers. I have to places still looking and have even placed a call to Colton Rv in NY.

The price I was quoted by a supplier was $160 msrp, unmounted tire only. Thats more then a tire on my truck!!!! :shocked:

So depending on what the last 2 retailers come up with I very well might be heading South to buy them.

I also talked to one trailer shop (non-rv type trailers) about the possibility of lifting the pup about 1.5 - 2 inches, they'll let me know after they exhaust all sources for tires.