Can I replace winch on 2005 Rockwood?

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by LaRita Hughes, Mar 20, 2018.

1. LaRita Hughes

LaRita Hughes New Member

Help!! The threads on our Rockwood Popup have stripped! Can the winch be replaced, if so where can I get one?? Any suggestions?

2. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Electric or manual what model rockwood, what year?

3. LaRita Hughes

LaRita Hughes New Member

It’s a 2005 Rockwood Freedom 2280, it is on the manual lift.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

Like Antipodes says, we need more information. It would also be useful if you gave us an idea where are you located (State, City)?

Calling your closest RV service center would be another option.

5. BikeNFish

Replacing the manual winch is not very difficult to do yourself if you are handy.

6. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Yes, and if only the winch, it is three bolts. A few years ago it was about 30+ dollars for the winch and if you are replacing a manual with a manual you don't need to purchase the handle. Goshen Stamping selsl and ship https://goshenstamping.com/lift-system

In the photo you see the steel plate and the three bolts (at least two of them and a partial of the lower one). the cover is plastic and is held in place by four small screws into the frame. (Photo is of my power winch before I replaced it with a manual winch.)
    [​IMG]

Release all the tension on the cable until it is hanging
    Remove the plastic cover
    TAKE PHOTOS of how the cable enters the drum of the winch and wraps around and is secured. Normally it goes over the drum, then outside of the gear, wraps around the outside of the shaft on the gear and is held in place by a clamp.
    Then remove the three nuts, hold the winch and slide out the bolts.
    Do the reverse to install the new winch making sure to install the cable to the winch as in the older winch.

BikeNFish likes this.
  7. LaRita Hughes

LaRita Hughes New Member

Thank you for your reply, after looking at the photo, we have the 2660, maybe I have called it the winch, but I think after looking at photo it is the Hub, (F) that is stripped. Any suggestions for that?

8. f5moab

Please take a photo of what you need to replace. A hub to me implies a wheel.

9. LaRita Hughes

LaRita Hughes New Member

I will take a picture tomorrow for you but it is the actual bolt that the handle would fit on to that cranks up the top. The man we bought it from didn't have a handle so he used a socket on a power drill, well its the socket I guess that has stripped or made the part it fits on round now, does that make sense? We are wondering if that is the part that can be replaced.

10. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Not sure what the F reference is so it would be best to take a image and post it. Then we can point you to exactly what you need to get it fixed. But it certainly sounds like you need a new handle to start with?

11. LaRita Hughes

LaRita Hughes New Member

F referenced to picture from the above comment link! Here’s the pic, it’s where the handle fits into to manually crank! The bolt is stripped!! Any suggestions??

Attached Files:

12. f5moab

Info Deleted.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  13. LaRita Hughes

LaRita Hughes New Member

Yes!! This is it! It has been worn to where it is rounded and a socket just spins on it!! Can just this drive bolt be replaced?

14. f5moab

Ok, I'm really confused. I had posted information on a power winch's manual bypass crank bolt. I deleted it since I started to feel you had just a manual winch.
    If you have a power winch and you are talking about the manual bypass bolt, it does not appear to be replaceable, except by replacing the entire motor assembly. But a good welder could weld a new head to the shaft (I THINK).
    Or you can replace the motor.
    You could call 800 243 3097 for more info.That's the number I have for powewinch parts.

15. BikeNFish

I have a power winch on my pup. It is nice to have, but I would most likely replace it with a manual winch. I don't like that I can't "feel" the roof while I'm raising it like on other pups I have camped in with a manual winch. Plus, it seems like the power winch is one more thing to worry about.

16. LaRita Hughes

LaRita Hughes New Member

Oh goodness, ok I thought this was how you manually raise it, I’m so sorry, so if we have electric lift does it also have a manual lift? The guy we got it from told us he never had a crank and he always raised it this way and apparently wore out the bolt! I’m not at home or would search it for manual way? Do they have both? Sorry I’m so confusing, nothing is ever easy for me!!!! I appreciate the feedback! Thank you!!

17. BikeNFish

They do not have both. If the PO was using this as his normal procedure to lift/lower the roof then I can see why the bolt was stripped. They are only meant to be used in an emergency.

From what I have seen, a manual crank costs around $100 while a new power winch is around $340.

18. f5moab

A powerwinch will have a manual backup to allow it to be raised or lowered if the electric part fails due to dead battery, or maybe the motor or switch, circuit breaker, etc., going bad.

If you setup looks like this and the blue circle is the cover that allows access to the bolt for manual operation. The switch for operating the power winch is on the side toward the bottom.
    [​IMG]

This illustration shows the manual winch drive bolt. That entire area where the manual drive bolt is located is supposed to be encased in grease.
    I do not believe that bolt is replaceable, at least it is not shown in the parts catalog for the winch. It appears it is part of the motor. So replacement would be the motor or the complete assembly. Or, you could have someone possibly weld a new bolt head onto the shaft; not sure, I have never welded.

[​IMG]

But honestly, these older winches were trouble and I know I yanked mine off a few years ago, installed a manual and never dreaded the decision.

19. LaRita Hughes

LaRita Hughes New Member

Thank you so much for your help! How is it to manually lift? Is it pretty easy? We were thinking about just getting new motor. Manual lift might be better and not have to worry with the motor.

20. BikeNFish

My wife sometimes used to do the lifting and she said that for her, it wasn't too bad. She would have to stop and take a break. It's not bad or the design wouldn't have lasted this long. When I was a kid, to lift my parents roof we had to lift up one end at a time using our bare hands. Then they invented the winch.

If getting a new motor is what you think would work best for you, go for it. It would not be wrong to go with either decision.

Advice is nice but what it really comes down to is, what do you want?